Need help Cannot POST and cannot access BIOS

Hello,
I just bought a new ram module, this ones: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL7 and after install them i cannot POST and cannot access BIOS -> Qcode 55 : Memory not installed.
My PC: Asus Maximus V Gene
I5 3570K

I tried everything :
- removing / replacing RAM and CPU
- tested with one single RAM on all of the 4 RAM slots
- clear CMOS
- boot with the very minimum (ATX 24Pin + EPS12V 8Pin + no hard drives at all + no graphic cards
- tried with a different RAM stick ( work with this one: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL8 )
- I install the Ram module in other PC: Asus P8Z77-V PRO I5 3570K neither work and cannot post and cannot access BIOS
Now it is working with the old RAM module: 8GB Kit (4GBx2), (Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 memory module 7-7-7-24)

Need any advice please.
Thanks
17 answers Last reply
More about need post access bios
  1. Try setting the timings and voltage manually in BIOS using your old RAM. Make sure it doesn't read the seetings from SPD. Then insert new modules and see if that helps.
  2. They are both PC3 12800 module sets so I do not think it is an issue with incompatibility. One thing that could be happening is the timing and memory settings might be causing an issue. I'd recommend installing the old ram, going into the bios, and returning the settings to default (not optimized). After that, shut down and re-install the new ram. See if that resolves the issue.

    I would have to try everything before dealing with returning/rma!
  3. When installing ram, you've got exactly two choices if it doesn't work; 1)defective ram 2)wrong type for board. That's it. The fact that your old ram works supports this even further.
  4. noxicate said:
    They are both PC3 12800 module sets so I do not think it is an issue with incompatibility. One thing that could be happening is the timing and memory settings might be causing an issue. I'd recommend installing the old ram, going into the bios, and returning the settings to default (not optimized). After that, shut down and re-install the new ram. See if that resolves the issue.

    I would have to try everything before dealing with returning/rma!


    I removed the battery from the motherboard. Does it reset the BIOS to default?
    I set the timming and volt of the new ram module and save, reset and installed the new ram. The problem continues.
    It is really rare, becouse is it the 2 ram modules bad?
    As i explained above i installed them in other PC and cannot post eather and i intalled other GSkill ram(G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL8) and worked fine, they are almost the same just the ram i have problems is CL7
    i made other test i install one module that work(G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL8) and when i add the new (G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL7)i have the same problem CODE 55 no memory installed
  5. Added. The diff is the Ram voltage, Your CL7 ram is rated at 1.600 Volts, the CL8 ram I believe is rated @ 1.500 Volts - End added

    First: The memory you are using is rated @ 1.6 V. Max Ram voltage for a IB CPU is 1.575V with default spec of 1.500 Volts.

    If You can not get a either single stick to work in any slot, then what I'd try is manually set the Ram voltage to 1.600 Volts, using the OLD ram, then save power off and retry your New ram. Also: You could manually set Timings to 9,9,9 and possibly get it to work at 1.500 V
    If this does NOT work then I would suspect Bad ram, or compatability issue.
    ADDED -PS - This is Winter time, There is a posibilty that you damaged the two ram modules during installation - ESD. Winter time is LOW humdity and ESD can be deadly. You can have up to 1K and never know it, And You do not have to touch the Pins, just handle it. END added.
    I have the very simular Ram. Ripjay DDR3-1600 CL 7 (4 x 4 = 16 gigs) Runing in my i5-2500K system with the Ram Voltage set to manuf spec of 1.600 Volts. Been working for over a Year. Also have their older version which is CL 7,7,7 (4 x 2 = 8 gigs) Runing in my i5-750 again the voltage is set to 1.600 V.

    For Sandy bridge this voids my CPU warrantee on two counts 1) speed is above spec of 1333 and 2) Voltage is above spec Max of 1.575.
    For IB the 1600 is spec but runing at 1.600 will void your CPU warrantee.
  6. My MB (MAXIMUS V GENE) is listed there as compatible
    In Gskill spec are
    Intel P67
    intel Z68
    Intel Z77
    CAS Latency 7-8-8-24-2N
    Capacity
    8GB (4GB x2)
    Speed DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
    Test Voltage 1.5 Volts
    -My old ram Crucial Ballistix 1333 run with 1.50V too
    My Processor core Ivy Bridge i5 3570K
    So you advice me to set volt to 1.60 in bios and try?
  7. Sounds like the new ram is defective if it won't work in any computer. You shouldn't have to adjust a thing; if it's the correct ram for your mobo (and it's not defective), it will work right out of the box.
  8. " Test Voltage 1.5 Volts"
    Is the the wrong Ram, as it shows test voltage @ 1.6 V
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=357
    or is this the Ram you have
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=469

    1.600 Is what I'm running my DDR3-1600 - CL 7 Ram at. Below 1.600 the ram becomes unstable on m i5-750. For My i5-2500 I did NOT even try @ less than 1.600 V.

    Might try this. With old memory set Bios to XMP, profile 1. save reboot, power off and place new ram in.

    SEE Note at bottom of g-shill specs.
  9. If i set 1,60V with my old ram if i still cant post BIOS with the new, can i post BIOS with my old?
    Becouse i can be stuck later and cant post with any.
  10. First try setting the XMP profile 1 leaving voltage set to default. It will set everything to what your OLD ra is, then when you reboot it will re-read profile 1 and reset every thing. THen if that doen't work try setting vltage to say 1.550 which should NOT be a problem with old ram.
  11. 9xer said:
    Sounds like the new ram is defective if it won't work in any computer. You shouldn't have to adjust a thing; if it's the correct ram for your mobo (and it's not defective), it will work right out of the box.


    But the two modules with the same problem?
  12. Did you catch My "added"
    ADDED -PS - This is Winter time, There is a posibilty that you damaged the two ram modules during installation - ESD. Winter time is LOW humdity and ESD can be deadly. You can have up to 1K and never know it, And You do not have to touch the Pins, just handle it. END added.

    In this case, Yes Both modules could be defective.
    90% of ESD damage results in degraded performance and premature failure (Called walking wounded", BUT 10% result in DOA.
    Humdity in the low 30% is bad, but 20 % is deadly and increases ability to generate a ES charge 20Xs. YOU would probably be surprised at how many Electronic componates are return as DOA due to ESD. Companies do not test for this as it is extremely costly.

    Bottom line here is that 9xer coment could be a possibility.
  13. RetiredChief said:
    Did you catch My "added"
    ADDED -PS - This is Winter time, There is a posibilty that you damaged the two ram modules during installation - ESD. Winter time is LOW humdity and ESD can be deadly. You can have up to 1K and never know it, And You do not have to touch the Pins, just handle it. END added.

    In this case, Yes Both modules could be defective.
    90% of ESD damage results in degraded performance and premature failure (Called walking wounded", BUT 10% result in DOA.
    Humdity in the low 30% is bad, but 20 % is deadly and increases ability to generate a ES charge 20Xs. YOU would probably be surprised at how many Electronic componates are return as DOA due to ESD. Companies do not test for this as it is extremely costly.

    Bottom line here is that 9xer coment could be a possibility.


    I live in Canary Island, humity and sub-tropical conditions are always present here (50% to 90%) most of the time, but the MB is new, it has 2 week or so, and the ram was delivered today, i bought them out of the islands. I tested the ram in my brother's PC and it does not work eather, and his RAM that are just like mine but CL8 work fine with my PC, just plug and play. Just it is rare that the 2 modules has the same problem.
    I did not touch the pins or other component. and i used a antistatic bracelet
  14. With RH of 50->90 ESD should not have been a problem as long as you did not touch the pins. The key word here is Should not which is diff than "WILL not".

    Overkill, but if we get with in 1 meter of a flight system (I work on satelite instrument testing) we are required to wear a grounding stap. Again stress the word overkill But this is the complete enclosed system uch like wearing a grounding strap to use on your computer - Yea right, LOL
  15. I surrender :) i have tried everything you have suggested me and i cannot post and access to the BIOS.
    In case worth something i installed my brother's pc ram that is just like mine, but CL8 and when i install mine CL7 i get the Code 55 again, no matter if i was on BIOS some sec ago with the other RAM (CL8)
  16. I think it is time to either RMA the Ram,or exchange for a Different model (or Brand) of Ram
  17. Yes, i started the send back process and i will take the money back and buy maybe a patriot viper 3 or KINGSTON X Beast.
    Thank you very much for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 RAM BIOS