Why cant you change a dell studio xps 9100 i7 930 to i7 960

chromedom

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello,
why cant you change a dell studio xps 9100 i7 930 to i7 960. talked to their tech support and they said it's easier to buy a new computer???? How can this be? they are the same sockets right?

Solution
Yes they are the same socket, both processors are 1366. My guess is probably for whatever reason thier proprietary motherboard doesn't support the upgrade. Usually OEM computers are very limited in what can be upgraded. If the motherboard doesn't support the 960 you would have to get a new motherboard which means new RAM and of course the processor. That right ther is half the computer that's why the tech said it would be easier to just get a new computer. Also have you gone onto Dells website and checked the CPU compatability list of your computer just to make sure what the tech said is right?

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Yes they are the same socket, both processors are 1366. My guess is probably for whatever reason thier proprietary motherboard doesn't support the upgrade. Usually OEM computers are very limited in what can be upgraded. If the motherboard doesn't support the 960 you would have to get a new motherboard which means new RAM and of course the processor. That right ther is half the computer that's why the tech said it would be easier to just get a new computer. Also have you gone onto Dells website and checked the CPU compatability list of your computer just to make sure what the tech said is right?

Solution

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
The motherboard should support a i7-960. At one time it was an option to order on Dell's site. Reference the below article:

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1170

Customers looking for a bit more power can certainly find it; the quad-core Core i7-960 will run an additional $470 and the six-core Core i7-980X upgrade is a cool grand.

They are probably unable to reference the correct documentation and trying to sell you a new computer. I have upgraded CPUs in a number of Dell XPS machines without a problem, staying in the same processor family. Dell is rather good (historically) at providing BIOS compatibility for CPUs.

Supported procs for the motherboard are at least:

◦Intel Core i7-930
◦Intel Core i7-960
◦Intel Core i7-990X

chromedom

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

LOL Sad, but I have to agree with you.

Thanks, I will check the site out and let you know how it comes out.

Dave