Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good system setup?

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2011 10:50:27 PM

I am planning on buying an AMD Phenom II X4 960T, along with 2x4GB Pareema 8GB setup DDR3 1333MHz. Along with a decent am3 motherboard, my 650 watt power supply, and my current EVGA GTX 260 216 shaders- 55nm,; I ask if this will be a decent system build for gaming. I have a smaller desktop monitor which I primarily use, occassionally the 1080p visio. I will also add that I don't have the need for extreme power; I don't play battlefield, nor crysis. If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know.

More about : good system setup

December 27, 2011 10:59:18 PM

You might want to get a i3 2120 with this mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - MSI H67
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Asrock (incase for a 2500k upgrade later)

8GB is a overkill for gaming and you really only need 4GB. However, it's really your preference
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - G. Skill 4GB

650w is a bit of an overkill, but if your OCing then I guess it's not. Tell us everything you're going to buy and you're budget.

Oh, and also i3 2120 beats the 960T even when it's OCed. It's also a lot more power efficient, too.

m
l
December 27, 2011 11:03:09 PM

My overall budget is about 220 dollars, for a cpu, a motherboard, and memory. Thanks for the suggestion; knowing more about my budget, hopefully I can get a better rig together.
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2011 11:11:47 PM

djscuzzy17 said:
I am planning on buying an AMD Phenom II X4 960T, along with 2x4GB Pareema 8GB setup DDR3 1333MHz. Along with a decent am3 motherboard, my 650 watt power supply, and my current EVGA GTX 260 216 shaders- 55nm,; I ask if this will be a decent system build for gaming. I have a smaller desktop monitor which I primarily use, occassionally the 1080p visio. I will also add that I don't have the need for extreme power; I don't play battlefield, nor crysis. If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know.

It's a decent little setup, definitely not a powerhouse for gaming but you're not playing games with heavy game engines anyways so it's no problem. If you're playing older games or games that use little system resources, then it's not bad.
m
l
December 28, 2011 1:01:03 AM

CDdude55 said:
It's a decent little setup, definitely not a powerhouse for gaming but you're not playing games with heavy game engines anyways so it's no problem. If you're playing older games or games that use little system resources, then it's not bad.

The problem is that there are straight up better options that outperform that system for a better price/performance ratio. I would say get the i3 2120 and the MSI H67 for a great budget gaming PC. You also might want to upgrade the GPU later in life ;) 
m
l
December 28, 2011 12:40:36 PM

e56imfg said:
The problem is that there are straight up better options that outperform that system for a better price/performance ratio. I would say get the i3 2120 and the MSI H67 for a great budget gaming PC. You also might want to upgrade the GPU later in life ;) 

That's a good point, there definitely are some cheap and better parts he could go with.
m
l
January 7, 2012 1:32:28 AM

I have decided to go with the amd setup for now, I don't want a dual core setup. Even if it is intel, I'll wait until my next upgrade.

Damn ups damaged my package, so I have to RMA and see how the new setup is later
m
l
January 8, 2012 3:23:34 AM

Question: Why not go with a dual-core set up from Intel? Unless you are video editing or something, the i3 beats that processor across the board. Even with rendering and the like, that processor barely beats the i3 (and I mean barely, as in by a few seconds at best). Not questioning your decision or attacking you in anyway, I am just curious.
m
l
!