Computer rebuild is failing

Dbivian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

I have pieced together a few computers from scratch, so I have the general idea down. For Christmas I decided to get my mom some updates for her computer, but on a budget. She had an old single core gateway computer.

I basically gutted her computer and purchased the following new components:
-ECS A880GM-M7 Mobo AM3
-4gb g.skill ram 1333
I also installed my used AMD Athlon X4 that I had lying around.

I reused the case, PSU, HDD and CD rom drives from her original computer.

The computer boots and goes through the POST tests. It allows me to enter the BIOS ETC. but when it attempts to start windows it freezes about 10 seconds in and goes to the windows error recovery screen. I have tried both launch as normal and in repair mode with negative results. I have been through the repair mode 3 times with no change.

Please give me some ideas to try. Thanks

-DB

Solution
If you change out the motherboard you must reinstall windows.

The windows install includes files built specifically for the exact motherboard it is using, it sounds like it still wants to boot on the old gateway motherboard.
If you change out the motherboard you must reinstall windows.

The windows install includes files built specifically for the exact motherboard it is using, it sounds like it still wants to boot on the old gateway motherboard.

Solution

Dbivian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Probably not. Just a little taken by surprise. I have been downloading her programs the past 1/2 day, but it's all good because she's out of town til monday. Thanks for the help.

If she was moving from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64 or from Vista x32 to Windows 7 x32 she could have kept a lot of her programs if she kept the same motherboard.

With a new motherboard, there is no way to keep the programs.

This is because to keep the programs you must install the CD while you are in Windows. You can't get into Windows if you changed motherboards.

Anyway, no pain no gain, right?