Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building gaming machine $1650 budget (help)

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 27, 2011 11:13:38 PM

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum.

For a few days i have been looking to build my own gaming pc, im 15 and have saved my pocket money and christmas/birthday money up towards this. I now have a total of £1050 or in dollars $1644.83 and am looking for some advice on what hardware i should buy. At first i was considering buying a alienware m17x gaming laptop but people say its way overpriced. If your wondering how im going to do all this my dad is capable of building it for me i just need you guys to help me with what i should buy. If you guys could just show me a setup you think would be good for gaming that would be great.

if you need anymore info just post
December 27, 2011 11:23:47 PM

Wouldn't it be funner if you and your Dad did the research yourselves and came up with
the best buy for the pound/buck?
Just sayin'.
There's braggin' rights in doing it that way vs. going to forums and asking others to do all your homework.
December 27, 2011 11:26:22 PM

well, me myself have spent 2 days researching, im an absolute noob at this kinda stuff and every build i came up with i was told it would "Bottleneck" if someone can give me a good gaming setup for my price that would be so much apreciated.
Related resources
December 27, 2011 11:29:20 PM

Well i dont know what else i can do.. my dad does'nt want to help me because he thinks im wasting my money yet he would still build it if i bought it. wierd huh?
December 27, 2011 11:34:22 PM

is there not some sort of common build that alot of people use and is well known?
December 27, 2011 11:37:43 PM

I see. Wasn't intending to be rude.
Someone will likely recommend an Intel setup, and I've none experience
with them.
December 28, 2011 6:01:04 AM

I honestly suggest you talk more to your Dad about what you really want, a decent budget to stick to, and saving more.
As we get older, money gifts may become less and you'll have less money to work with if
you don't have income.
Trust me, money saved now will be appreciated later. It's best to start saving when you are young, because you can't be young again, can you?
Be patient. You and your Dad can figure something out that will make both of you happy. Now and in the long run.
Good luck!
December 28, 2011 8:27:02 AM

Ok Since no one has any suggestions,
I have the feeling you will spend your money one way or the other getting what you think you want so let me give you some suggestions to make sure its not wasted.
Here is a suggested list of things all from newegg,Amazon,and TigerDirect. It is designed to give you maximum bang for your buck and save you some cash for games and savings.
You will have to get your dad to purchase the parts with his debit or credit card.

Some things are sale prices and wont last long having an end of year sale so prices wont last long.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SGC-2000-KKN1-GP-St...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V6GT-220-Watt-RR-V6...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
http://www.amazon.com/ENGTX560-DCII-OC-2DI-1GD5/dp/B005...
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil...

This should all total about $1k and leave you a few hundred dollars. It will play any game out there and the Mobo will give you very stable easy overclocking if you desire. It is definately worth the money as it has all the features of its bigger brother boards without the cost.Find out more about the mobo here
http://www.asusrog.com/ASUS_Maximus_IV%20Gene-Z.html. You will love it.
The case is just an option as you will have your own desire as to how you want it to look, but the price is sweet and you should find something you like within $20. You can ,if so inclined sli those graphic cards for the additional cost of $200.
This is an ultimate gaming rig that should fulfill all your needs and leave you enough to buy the newest games
It is upgradeable for the future by adding larger sandy bridge cpu,adding more ram(max32g),sli or larger gpu. Ishould fully expect it to last you until you get out of college if you take care of it.
Try to keep your monitor as small as 22" widescreen and 1 gpu will max settings on most games
December 28, 2011 1:59:32 PM

or mabey not that GPU.. but is there any other good GPU's you could show me thats a little more expensive.. i have waited so long for a good gaming PC im willing to go for the best ;) 
December 28, 2011 8:40:12 PM

JRoyales said:
Thanks so much man, but instead of the i5 could i use this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i7-2600K-Quad...

and instead of the GPU could i use this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-DirectCu-Graphics-...


thanks again man.


Sure you could go with the i7-2600k, but will you be editing video or running 4 or 5 apps at a time? If not ,you are largely wasting your money. The i5 2500k is the best for the money for gaming purposes.
You can if you insist but you wont notice a change in your games and you will spend a hundred more bucks.

You can also get a larger video card if you can afford it. I would not waste the money to sli if I were going with a larger card. However with the board I suggested you would not have room to sli the card you pictured because it takes 3 spaces from your rear punchouts on your case, and the third one would cover your second pci.e slot.
Keep in mind that with this board you have to go with two space (max) gpu if you want to sli. I think if you go with a larger gpu you will not need to sli.
I like this one and was able to max out all settings with skyrim with only 1 gpu. It should also do you for a long time.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is out of stock @newegg right now but they will restock it.
Also see here http://www.asusrog.com/ASUS_Matrix_GTX580.html

You are getting dangerously close to spending all of the money now. You'll have to come up with more for games.
Also if you want to sli larger three tier gpus in the future There are bigger boards than the one I showed you giving you more room .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only thing it offers over the other board is more pci.e slots It has the same z68 chipset
See it here... http://www.asusrog.com/ASUS_Maximus_IV_Extreme-Z.html

And it looks like you will give up soundblaster x-fi which is onboard the smaller mobo. and the board costs roughly twice as much. That is why I suggested the one earlier cause it is just as good if you dont have to sli 2 giant cards

Also, If you go with 1 big card the psu I linked earlier will work great but if you decide to sli you will need to get a larger wattage like 700watts or more. Modular supplies like the one I linked make for much better cable management.
Also if going all out on graphics , make sure your monitor is dvi ready and use a dvi cable and not a vga.
December 28, 2011 10:37:29 PM
December 28, 2011 10:53:41 PM

And onboard sound will be fine right? i wont need a Sound card?
December 29, 2011 1:18:03 AM

Oh i need a 700W psu to run that build, can you reccomend any?
December 29, 2011 4:05:16 AM

Ok your build looks solid and it comes to a total of a little over $1400. Maybe a little more by the time you add shipping. You should be fine with any psu you choose but try to stay with the brands,Silverstone,Seasonic,Antec,Corsair and look for 80+ efficiency for cleaner power , and I still suggest a modular for cleaner cable mgmt.
I like this one for the price and modular and 80+ silver rated plus you get 850 watts in case you ever need it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
One other thing we never mentioned is an ssd drive, which while you don't have to have one, it will make accessing programs and booting up slightly quicker.
If you should decide to go with one ,you dont need a very large one. With this motherboard you have smart response technology which ,if you read the instructions in your mobo manual, will allow you to set up a small,(like 40-60g) ssd as a operating system and cache drive.
Just make sure if you go this route,that you load windows,and all drivers on the ssd before you even plug in the hdd. If you follow the instructions for smart response tech. , then your system will not add an extra letter for the ssd drive and your hard drive will still be able to be drive c. This comes in handy for downloading games and every thing else as the download will default to your c drive. If you dont set it up as SRT then your ssd will be drive c and your hdd turns into drive e or whatever your system wants to use next. This would still work and you would still have the advantage of fast boots and access of frequently used programs, though, you would have to be carefull not to accidently load to much onto the ssd dr., so as to save room for cache dr.
It is just much easier to set up the SRT function and not have to worry about it.

If you get an ssd, try to find a sata3\6gb one and make sure you plug to one of the sata3 ports on the mobo. Check toms hardware reviews for a decision on which brand you want.

I think the sound on the board is awsome, and unless you are recording and mixing tracks(making your own music) etc... I would think it would do ya.
December 29, 2011 5:00:45 AM

or u can try my build im doing on 2012 9th jan so yah

mobo: asrock extreme 7 gen 3 best Z68 a very nice mobo if u wish to add onther card PS: im going dual 7970 so my cards will use the 16x/16x juice

psu:for me ill go with 1200+ for u hmm 850W psu will get the job done like the corsair AX-HX


ram:will it is up to u 8gb is more then u need ill go with the corsair low profile 16gb XD

GPU:7970 muahhah it will be 25% better then the GPU u chose just W8
11 day's man it isnt worth it and yes im a nvidia fan but ho ever is better ill go with lol and 7970 will cost 550$ same price as a 3gb 580


cpu:core i5 2500k the best gamer money friendly and yes Overclook it

cpu cooler :V6 that is way to wide lol a lot of ppl say it is pain in the ass to fit silverarrow FTW

HHD:go with the WD black it is faster

case:nothing better then the HAF x but the case u chose is nice but the cpu cooler will be so huge just saying






December 29, 2011 5:33:44 AM

holyrage said:
or u can try my build im doing on 2012 9th jan so yah

mobo: asrock extreme 7 gen 3 best Z68 a very nice mobo if u wish to add onther card PS: im going dual 7970 so my cards will use the 16x/16x juice

psu:for me ill go with 1200+ for u hmm 850W psu will get the job done like the corsair AX-HX


ram:will it is up to u 8gb is more then u need ill go with the corsair low profile 16gb XD

GPU:7970 muahhah it will be 25% better then the GPU u chose just W8
11 day's man it isnt worth it and yes im a nvidia fan but ho ever is better ill go with lol and 7970 will cost 550$ same price as a 3gb 580


cpu:core i5 2500k the best gamer money friendly and yes Overclook it

cpu cooler :V6 that is way to wide lol a lot of ppl say it is pain in the ass to fit silverarrow FTW

HHD:go with the WD black it is faster

case:nothing better then the HAF x but the case u chose is nice but the cpu cooler will be so huge just saying


These are all good choices to. Keep in mind that the mobo your getting has had allot of bad reports of memory issues and I personally tried to talk a guy out of it on these forums and he wouldn't budge. After he got it and built it he found out that pci.e slot #1 would not work and messing around with it he messed up slot #2 as well. It is not worth the risk to me to try a good mobo that might be ok as apposed to a good mobo that rarely ever has issues and for a substantial chunk less.

The v6 is chunky but it is not to big for the case he chose ,it is no bigger than the v8 and that fits in my case just fine. It doesn't block the first ram slot like people like to think either. At least not with the asus maximus. If I was going to consider a different cpu cooler I would go with either the v8 or a thermaltake frio for looks, as most on the market will work and what ended up mattering to me, especially with the side window , was looks.
While you are suggesting the radeon card, go ahead and tell him about the problems sometimes associated with the catalyst software. Radeon can be good if all goes well but in my experience I have had problems with 5 out of 6 radeon gpu's and have used countless nvidea gpu's with never an issue.

I don't meen to nitpick your choices but have just experienced enough to have different opinion.
December 29, 2011 5:44:37 AM

Hey man, I built my own a couple months back, and to start I had about the budget you do. I think you can do very well with what you have.

Here are some recommendations...

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
i5 2500k @ 3.30GHz
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333MHz
GTX580 (Is there a better choice? No.)
Antec 650w PSU (good enough for your needs, and a great bargain)
Raidmax ATX-798WB Chassis
Razer Death Adder Gaming mouse
Razer Black Widow Mechanical Keyboard (once you go mechanical, you will never go back to membrane)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
ASUS 24" 1080p monitor
Hitachi 7200RPM HDD - Wait on an SSD. For now, put the power where it counts ;) 
Standard DVD writer

That is more or less the essentials. This setup will max every game on the market in full HD, and do so with ease.


This is the way to go, my young friend. Do it.
December 29, 2011 5:48:49 AM

Let me also state, remember these two things...

Intel over AMD. Intel CPU's totally and completely own AMD CPU's, and. it. is. not. even. close.

Nvidia over AMD for the GPU. Yes, I went with AMD. But for someone starting out, Nvidia is the better choice. Less driver issues, and just overall more user friendly. Maybe for your second build you can consider AMD.
December 29, 2011 6:02:53 AM

+1 to u pc gamer81 i had both amd and nvidia

will nvidia have better driver's will amd have a good hardwear with craperst drivers i hope they F fix it on the 7970
December 29, 2011 6:26:33 AM

holyrage said:
+1 to u pc gamer81 i had both amd and nvidia

will nvidia have better driver's will amd have a good hardwear with craperst drivers i hope they F fix it on the 7970


I am with you, there. I hope the 7970 is good to go right out of the gate. But considering the track record with AMD, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if it wasn't.

Then again, I cannot exactly forget Nvidia's latest GPU fiasco. The 590 drivers were causing the GPU to literally burn itself up, which is absolutely inexcusable. Fortunately for Nvidia, they resolved it fairly quickly, and the GTX590 has since proved to be a reliable and absolutely amazing piece of hardware - the gap between the 590 and 6990 has been closed, that's for sure.

Other than the 590 blunder, Nvidia has proven themselves to be extremely reliable in terms of drivers and support, and is overall an excellent choice for someone starting out.

Considering that most games are optimized for Nvidia, the fact that AMD does so well is a testament to the quality of AMD hardware.

Bang for your buck, AMD will always trump Nvidia. And as far as multi-GPU configurations are concerned, CrossfireX will always trump SLi.

But...

For someone just starting out, I would be hard pressed to recommend AMD. I would definitely be forced to recommend Nvidia for people new to PC gaming. Less driver issues, and just overall more user-friendly.
December 29, 2011 8:35:50 AM

Yeah That.

Thats why I steered him away from amd earlier.

Someone who is used to pc building might know what to try when something doesn't work right the first time, but someone new to the art, would be best suited if his build were to come off smoothly.

Also why I suggested the Asus brand when possible. Less problems from the box it seems to me.

Not to mention a lengthy warrantee on the products.

Also, If you cant get the asus matrix gpu go for an evga in the 580ti series.They also seam to have a record of great reliability.
December 29, 2011 10:21:43 AM

rmiiirusty said:
Yeah That.

Thats why I steered him away from amd earlier.

Someone who is used to pc building might know what to try when something doesn't work right the first time, but someone new to the art, would be best suited if his build were to come off smoothly.

Also why I suggested the Asus brand when possible. Less problems from the box it seems to me.

Not to mention a lengthy warrantee on the products.

Also, If you cant get the asus matrix gpu go for an evga in the 580ti series.They also seam to have a record of great reliability.


All of your advice is rock solid.

I stick with the ASUS brand as often as I can. I went with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro for my mobo. I hear a lot of complaining about dual x8's vs dual x16's for multi-GPU configurations. Holyrage alluded to that in the board he chose, and to me it is not worth a downgrade just for dual x16's - especially when there is no difference except for 2560x1600+ resolutions. I almost bought in to that theory, but have since got my mind right. Your advice to him was right on.

EVGA makes great GPU's. Their dual fan 560Ti is one of the best cards on the market, and can be overclocked (or already is, in some cases) to give more expensive GPU's a run for their money. I almost went with the EVGA 560Ti DS SC when building mine.
December 29, 2011 11:09:26 AM

Thanx PcGamer81,
It looks like you've been around the same blocks as I have with components.

Some folks complain about asustek support being nearly non existant but I wouldn't know as I've never bought an Asus product that didn't work.

I really don't get into gaming as much as some people do. I love to play but usually strategy or roleplaying games. Not so much action. The Battlefield games don't excite me much but I love the StarCraft series. I like Warcraft but not so excited about W.O.W. etc...

My thing of late has been building systems for friends and family, they were so well liked that their friends and family wanted one.
I must have built over twenty pc's in the last year or so. I enjoy buying,selling,and building more than anything right now. Also enjoy the forums here at Toms Hdwr.. I see allot of folks with the same questions I had when I first started building and it relives the excitement for me.

My personnal system is much like the one I suggested for this guy,and I have it overclocked with the software from asus to 4.4 gigs and it is as stable as a rock.

I recently gave up my asus engtx 560ti dc for a recent build that I had to finish for a customer in time for christmas, so I have an Asus engtx 550ti dc\oc installed at the moment and it is sufficient for all I use it for. My monitor is only a 22" widescreen but is also all I need and it helps me not need a bigger gpu.
December 29, 2011 12:22:42 PM

will the asrock sucks it just blow up my i5 ima send it back argh the only bad thing will be to run a card on 4x speed if not below that then it dosnt really matter any how the 16x pci 3.0 will be nothing if ur not runing a 690 or 7990 dual GPU cards so yah

now i have to look for a motherbord argh


and plus 1 to u guys

asus is makeing good mobos also for the msi but i see ppl saying that they suck lol so i think plus 1 to asus


and the asus support is bad -1 to that i boght a mobo to make a pc for my dad and i got a bad mobo send it back they gave me a new one and it went quick

will for me i might go with the asus Genz/Gen3 or something elss thats good for crossfire
December 29, 2011 1:09:36 PM

Thanks so much guys, i will be making my decision today. Im from england btw so shipping might take a while but i'll keep you updated.
December 29, 2011 1:24:04 PM

and yah if u can W8 i think the 7xxx will drob the price of nvidia so yah if u W8 u might be able to get mars II lol
December 29, 2011 7:54:50 PM

It seems to me that now or the near future is the time to build a new system.

intel will be coming out with its next generation of processors in the next few months and many new components will come out to go with them, mobo's,cooling,ram etc...

The graphics market will be introducing new 3.0 cards and we all have high hopes for them.

While it might be tempting to wait and grab these new technologies as they are released, That is not a wise decision.

Because they are new there will no doubt be various bugs to work out. The prices will be maxed out on the newer tech stuff and yet you may encounter many issues with the products.

Meanwhile, the stuff that is soon to be outdated will be dropping in price as the new stuff hits the market. It is already tried and tested and we know what works, as well as the fact that with this generation of products we are able to extremely over-achieve what we need for our programs.

It makes more sence to buy intel 2nd gen now with 1155 mobo, a really good Asus board, and nvidea graphics and enjoy our build for the next couple of years until the new stuff not only comes out, but is tested for awhile and all bugs addressed, and maybe even the prices drop some before we spend our money on it.
Let the impatient others with money to throw away try the new stuff out for us before we buy.

These Asrock boards are here with pci.e 3.0 and people are rushing to get them and why, You don't even have a 3.0 gpu to test them with so how would you know if it was gonna work right.

Holyrage is only one of the many people who have had issues right here in these forums.

However I know Asus makes a great board with 2.0 and 2.1 slots that work flawlessly and if I am gonna build, I don't want to have issues.
December 30, 2011 3:57:17 AM

rmiiirusty said:
It seems to me that now or the near future is the time to build a new system.

intel will be coming out with its next generation of processors in the next few months and many new components will come out to go with them, mobo's,cooling,ram etc...

The graphics market will be introducing new 3.0 cards and we all have high hopes for them.

While it might be tempting to wait and grab these new technologies as they are released, That is not a wise decision.

Because they are new there will no doubt be various bugs to work out. The prices will be maxed out on the newer tech stuff and yet you may encounter many issues with the products.

Meanwhile, the stuff that is soon to be outdated will be dropping in price as the new stuff hits the market. It is already tried and tested and we know what works, as well as the fact that with this generation of products we are able to extremely over-achieve what we need for our programs.

It makes more sence to buy intel 2nd gen now with 1155 mobo, a really good Asus board, and nvidea graphics and enjoy our build for the next couple of years until the new stuff not only comes out, but is tested for awhile and all bugs addressed, and maybe even the prices drop some before we spend our money on it.
Let the impatient others with money to throw away try the new stuff out for us before we buy.

These Asrock boards are here with pci.e 3.0 and people are rushing to get them and why, You don't even have a 3.0 gpu to test them with so how would you know if it was gonna work right.

Holyrage is only one of the many people who have had issues right here in these forums.

However I know Asus makes a great board with 2.0 and 2.1 slots that work flawlessly and if I am gonna build, I don't want to have issues.


I have read all of your posts and you are correct in everything you say.

I built my current system recently and I thought about waiting for the upcoming generation, but after weighing it out, it just didn't seem wise. My current system can max any game on the market with ease in 1080p and under, and with most games being inflicted with a severe case of consolitis, people who go shell out on the latest and greatest to me are suckers.

I also enjoy building computers, but unfortunately, I don't have the people around me to build for. You are a lot more experienced in that regard than I am, I'm afraid.

You seem to have a bright future with computers. :) 
December 30, 2011 4:29:08 AM

PCgamer81 said:
I have read all of your posts and you are correct in everything you say.

I built my current system recently and I thought about waiting for the upcoming generation, but after weighing it out, it just didn't seem wise. My current system can max any game on the market with ease in 1080p and under, and with most games being inflicted with a severe case of consolitis, people who go shell out on the latest and greatest to me are suckers.

I also enjoy building computers, but unfortunately, I don't have the people around me to build for. You are a lot more experienced in that regard than I am, I'm afraid.

You seem to have a bright future with computers. :) 


Thanx again pcgamer81,

You just need to build a really nice one and show it off to a few people and get the word out how much nicer it is than a store brand pc. Eventually someone will want one if they know how to get ahold of you.
Keep the price reasonable and only agree if they have the means to pay for all their parts. After you research parts with them get their money,order the parts and build the rig, trying not to charge more than $100 bucks for your trouble.Have them pay the remaining balance to pick up their pc. If they don't pay, then you havn't lost, you have gained a pc,which you can now sell for full price. After giving them a month or two to pay. The whole idea is ,if they put the money into the parts, they are not going to want to lose the investment, so will probably pay the rest.
The more you build them the more details you will learn about the different brands of components.
December 30, 2011 6:39:25 AM

rmiiirusty said:
Thanx again pcgamer81,

You just need to build a really nice one and show it off to a few people and get the word out how much nicer it is than a store brand pc. Eventually someone will want one if they know how to get ahold of you.
Keep the price reasonable and only agree if they have the means to pay for all their parts. After you research parts with them get their money,order the parts and build the rig, trying not to charge more than $100 bucks for your trouble.Have them pay the remaining balance to pick up their pc. If they don't pay, then you havn't lost, you have gained a pc,which you can now sell for full price. After giving them a month or two to pay. The whole idea is ,if they put the money into the parts, they are not going to want to lose the investment, so will probably pay the rest.
The more you build them the more details you will learn about the different brands of components.


Thanks.

I have thought a lot about that, but unfortunately I live in such a small town of about 5,000 people. There aren't really a lot of people around me. And most people in my town are old.

I live within 50 miles of a city, so I have thought about perhaps putting an add on Craigslist for PC's. But PC's that I have already built.

For example, I could build a reasonably fast PC with a quad-core AMD CPU, 8GB of DDR3, and a 6850 for pocket change more or less. Brand new, perhaps I could get $500 for it. I could make about $50 profit, and have a blast doing it.

I have also thought a lot about advertising to fix computers for people. Most of the time, it is a software problem. They could bring it in to me, I could troubleshoot it, and then fix it for as cheap as I can, and charge them a fair but honest amount.
December 30, 2011 6:56:52 AM

PCgamer81 said:
Thanks.

I have thought a lot about that, but unfortunately I live in such a small town of about 5,000 people. There aren't really a lot of people around me. And most people in my town are old.

I live within 50 miles of a city, so I have thought about perhaps putting an add on Craigslist for PC's. But PC's that I have already built.

For example, I could build a reasonably fast PC with a quad-core AMD CPU, 8GB of DDR3, and a 6850 for pocket change more or less. Brand new, perhaps I could get $500 for it. I could make about $50 profit, and have a blast doing it.

I have also thought a lot about advertising to fix computers for people. Most of the time, it is a software problem. They could bring it in to me, I could troubleshoot it, and then fix it for as cheap as I can, and charge them a fair but honest amount.



You can also build it and advertise it on ebay. just keep relisting it till it sells.

Anything that brings a little income to pay for the expense so you can keep your hobby alive.
December 30, 2011 12:06:35 PM

the asrock is a ok if u can water cool the cipset lol it has NF200 sooooooo hot so yah i got look for a mobo im thinking of the asus WS mobos
December 30, 2011 12:59:40 PM

rmiiirusty said:
You can also build it and advertise it on ebay. just keep relisting it till it sells.

Anything that brings a little income to pay for the expense so you can keep your hobby alive.


I thought about Ebay. But with something that big I would need to go through UPS or Fed-Ex. I prefer the United States Postal Service, but they won't take packages over a certain weight.

I imagine that would seriously cut into my funds. I would be happy as long as I could break even. But with companies like Cyber-Power willing to build for people for the cost of parts + peanuts just about, I wonder how I would manage...

It is something to look into, though.
December 30, 2011 1:16:02 PM

PCgamer81 said:
I thought about Ebay. But with something that big I would need to go through UPS or Fed-Ex. I prefer the United States Postal Service, but they won't take packages over a certain weight.

I imagine that would seriously cut into my funds. I would be happy as long as I could break even. But with companies like Cyber-Power willing to build for people for the cost of parts + peanuts just about, I wonder how I would manage...

It is something to look into, though.



I just shipped a computer by us parcel post last week to a customer who bought it for christmas for her husband. The post office will handle it and the cost of shipping,($32) in my case is paid by the buyer which is posted on the product page. I was checking out cyber power computers and trying different configs just to see what they would charge and there is a over $100 difference to start with and by the time I built the system I have at home cyber power wanted over $1500 to build what I built for a little over $900 $600 buys allot of peanuts. They do offer promotional software etc. but you can add games and other software to to sweeten the pot for potential buyers.
Not only do they make that 600 bucks from it , but because they are a business and prob have deals with suppliers and buy in bulk they have less invested and probably made closer to 7 hundred or so off that one computer.
December 30, 2011 1:33:57 PM

OP - It seems you are spending money to spend money (yes I was there, and still sometimes think this way because it sounds good on paper - get the best of the best!). But honestly, what are you going to be doing with the computer? If you aren't going to be editing lots of videos/images, get the 2500k (you're simply wasting your money on the 2600k for no benefits). Drop that CPU cooler and get the Hyper 212 EVO (you don't need to spend double for little gains, especially in your situation). That GPU looks good, but I'd suggest an EVGA version that takes up less space for the potential of SLI in the future.
December 30, 2011 2:05:38 PM

rmiiirusty said:
I just shipped a computer by us parcel post last week to a customer who bought it for christmas for her husband. The post office will handle it and the cost of shipping,($32) in my case is paid by the buyer which is posted on the product page. I was checking out cyber power computers and trying different configs just to see what they would charge and there is a over $100 difference to start with and by the time I built the system I have at home cyber power wanted over $1500 to build what I built for a little over $900 $600 buys allot of peanuts. They do offer promotional software etc. but you can add games and other software to to sweeten the pot for potential buyers.
Not only do they make that 600 bucks from it , but because they are a business and prob have deals with suppliers and buy in bulk they have less invested and probably made closer to 7 hundred or so off that one computer.


Huh, I thought the USPS wouldn't take packages over a certain weight. I must have it mixed up with a certain way to send, such as media mail or something. I'll look into that.

I would love to buy off of Newegg and build and list - hell, if I could just get back what I put in, it would be worth it to me. I love building them. If I had money to throw away I would build me another or upgrade mine. But as it is, mine has been upgraded enough. It is more power than I need, already.

I would love to build one for my girlfriend, but she is a laptop lover - would never use it.

It is something I will consider. I don't mind investing in it as long as I am fairly certain I can get my money back.
December 30, 2011 2:27:34 PM

elayman said:
OP - It seems you are spending money to spend money (yes I was there, and still sometimes think this way because it sounds good on paper - get the best of the best!). But honestly, what are you going to be doing with the computer? If you aren't going to be editing lots of videos/images, get the 2500k (you're simply wasting your money on the 2600k for no benefits). Drop that CPU cooler and get the Hyper 212 EVO (you don't need to spend double for little gains, especially in your situation). That GPU looks good, but I'd suggest an EVGA version that takes up less space for the potential of SLI in the future.


I definitely agree with you about the CPU. Purchasing the 2600k with gaming in mind to me is indicative of one's inexperience when it comes to PC gaming and computer's in general. Getting the i7 for gaming is throwing money down the toilet, seeing as how the only difference is hyper-threading.

As far as your suggestion about the cooler, I do have to disagree. I have the 212+, which the evo is just a very small step up from. My case has 4 fans and airflow so good that I have to clean the dust out of it every other day just about.

At 4.5GHz, my CPU reaches tjunction max in about 180 seconds under prime95.

If he wants to do some serious overclocking, then he should reconsider going with an air-cooler. And if he only wants to moderately overclock his Sandy Bridge, then he should stick with the one he has now at the very least.

You are right about going with EVGA, but if it is for the purpose of going with a multi-GPU configuration in the future, then in my humble opinion he should go with the cheaper 6970. The difference in performance between a (1.5GB) 580SLi and a 6970X2 is not that much. As far as single GPU's are concerned, the 580 does smoke the 6970, thoroughly thrashing it. But in dual-card setups...not so much. At least not enough to merit the price difference once all is said and done. Overall, it's my opinion that he should stay with Nvidia until he gets his bearings, but I figured I'd put that out there, anyway.

Just my humble opinions.
December 30, 2011 2:50:57 PM

^ +1 It would be a better idea to stick with a single card for now (both the 6970 or even 6950 2gb would be great, but since he has the funds, I think the 580 would be a better idea for the future since it would require upgrading further down the road. Since the OP doesn't know much about building computers, it will take him some time to get familiar with overclocking (though I'm sure the stock speeds will be plenty for a first-time user). I'd recommend dropping the CPU cooler altogether (or going with a cheaper alternative - thus the hyper 212 suggestion) and picking up a 120+GB SSD for his boot drive. I think it would be the best way to spend the money in this situation.
December 30, 2011 4:50:20 PM

elayman said:
^ +1 It would be a better idea to stick with a single card for now (both the 6970 or even 6950 2gb would be great, but since he has the funds, I think the 580 would be a better idea for the future since it would require upgrading further down the road. Since the OP doesn't know much about building computers, it will take him some time to get familiar with overclocking (though I'm sure the stock speeds will be plenty for a first-time user). I'd recommend dropping the CPU cooler altogether (or going with a cheaper alternative - thus the hyper 212 suggestion) and picking up a 120+GB SSD for his boot drive. I think it would be the best way to spend the money in this situation.


I think considering the circumstances, you are right in what you are saying. He should just go with a stock heatsink and worry about overclocking later. I was of the opinion that if he was going after a cooler, he might as well get one that wouldn't limit his overclocking in the future. But seeing as how he is just now starting out, and coolers can be easily added at a later time, he would probably be better served to wait for now.

As for his GPU, I think the 580 would be the most logical choice. It is blazingly fast, and with a decent CPU feeding it, can max every current game on the market without so much as breaking a sweat.

If adding extra monitors and/or extra GPU's are in his plans for the near future, I would strongly advice him to pass on the 580 in favor of the 6970.
January 10, 2012 9:10:49 AM

Nothing wrong with AMD for a cpu, great bang for your buck. And there have even been benchmarks done which show that the latest GPU's (i.e. the 7970) when used with top end cpus and average cpus showed not that big a difference in fps for gaming(past the 60 fps mark). http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
After 60 fps you're just getting bragging rights since your eyes can't tell.

Nvidia is great if you absolutely have to have Physx. Not many games use it though. Nvidia seems to always have been the more powerful of the two on paper and in benchmarks, but some games have ran better with AMD, and vice versa.

The 580 is beast of a card but I feel that if you buy one this late into it's life that the next series from Nvidia may roll out not too much later, and then you may find that adding another down the road may be not so easy due to the card taking a backseat in production because of a newer series.

Will you be doing a multiple GPU setup? I have only used SLI, and IMO it's fantastic, but only when it works, and it doesnt always. Sometimes at a games release you have to wait for SLI updates which is frustrating since you spent all that money for the FPS increase. And if you get a mobo with hybrid SLI you can use the onboard video for Physx as I do.

Overclocking can be fun, but you need to really know what you're doing. It's also expensive since to get the best OC you need to invest in aftermarket cooling.

BTW OP, what games and programs are you looking to run on your rig? How often are you looking to upgrade? What res will you be running games at? Single display or multiple?

I would say wait a couple months and see the AMD/Nvidia war brings us. AMD's release is happening right about now so we should be hearing some news from Nvidia shortly.
!