SellingGames

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Not entirely sure this is where this should go but here goes anyway.

I have been programming on and off for about 8 years, starting with QBASIC in a high school. Currently my language of choice is Python as it really meets all my needs. For quite a long time now I have been wanting to develop a small game and sell it via online distribution. As programming is just a hobby of mine this would not be something high quality. More along the lines of a game that you would pay $2 to $5 for. But before I even start with this in mind i was wanting to know the legalities of this process in the US?

For instance, I was intending on using OpenGL to write a graphics engine as I am most familiar with it. Can I get away with this if I am selling the game or do I have to strike up a deal with the OpenGL people? Same goes with FMOD for a sound engine? What about the general selling of a game? Legally, do I have to form a company if I intend to do this? Can I simply sell the game via PayPal to get around any of this as I have heard some people do?

Also, are there any sites that deal with the website/payment/download process or will I have to set up my own server and website for the game(s)?

Not even sure if I will ever get a game out the door to be honest but I don't want to put hours of work into something like that and then find out :cry:

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Yes and due to my lack of knowledge of the web based languages and the fact I would like to keep my options open as to the possibly of going on to more complex games I decided against it, primarily due to the later. Basically, when I started this little project I chose a method & language where I could write general purpose efficient libraries/modules for nearly everything conceivable thing in a standard game (Sound, GUI, Graphics, Collision Detection, etc). Then when I had a small game I could role it out in a few weeks as apposed to a few months or if later on I got ambitions and went for a large more complex game I would have a reasonable shot at actually pulling it off.

As an update on where I currently am with this project (for anyone who cares):
- According to the OpenGL license, only hardware makers really have to strike deals (ex. Nvidia for their new graphics card's drivers).
- Haven't answered any of my other questions from original post so if anyone knows?
- I've dropped Python for my primary language due to difficulties using standard C libraries; As of now it will be my scripting language if one is needed.
- I am currently working on a library for large scale memory management (Stacks, Queues, Jagged Arrays, Linked List, Indexed Arrays, etc) and it is 100% pointers/refrences :pt1cable:

4745454b

Titan
As far as I'm aware of a programming language is to be used. You don't need to pay the OpenGL, or C++ people anything. As far as selling the game, the first thing that comes to my mind is to contact Steam. They have a large selection of "indie" games where your should feel right at home.

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks for the response. I haven't thought of Steam but that is a good idea since I do see indie type games on there all the time :D At the moment most of my efforts have been on the programming side though, trying to finish up memory library then probably on to sound library next.

1000 lines of code on the screen, 1000 lines of code, put one up, your program's corrupt, 0 lines of code on the screen :cry:

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Whilst it might feel like you are being really productive by writing a library of code you should be focusing your efforts on what you actually need to program.

Every single development methodology will tell you to program only what you need, no more, no less.

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Don't forget that there is a lot of library code out there that has been extremely widely used and well tested. If you are using C++ then there is the STL for vectors, arrays and the like. Boost libraries (http://www.boost.org/) have all manner of well tested C++ library code which I believe is free to use.

Don't spend ages re-inventing the wheel, unless you are using it as a vehicle for learning the language or really really really want to

venom4u

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
The language I was actually coding in, I am partly ashamed to say, was FreeBASIC: http://www.freebasic.net/

It was the language I went to after leaving QBASIC years ago and I feel most comfortable and fluid with it. I have tried to find more mainstream languages that fit into what I want and have come to like about FreeBASIC but with little success. The only thing that comes close is C++ from what I have researched and I absolutely can't stand the syntax (very difficult to read imo). Python was close however implementing standard C libraries seemed to require a degree so it was a no go. Anyway, since I haven't had much free time lately and therefor haven't completed much code yet I am considering taking another look at C++ for this and future projects.

Also steam and many of the other game portals I checked require their code library in your game(s) for things like micro transactions, in game steam menu thingy, etc. Many of these libraries use C/C++ code so it should be easier to implement however I would rather not go that route. Is there any way I could just have a system where a person pays through PayPal, receives an activation code, enters said code into downloaded game, and plays and does so without me having to set my own website up and try and generate traffic? I really want this to be something that is a zero/near-zero start up cost type thing so if I don't make any money the only thing I've lost is some free time.

Also if anyone has anymore language suggestions feel free; main things i want in language are:
- Mainstream or relatively mainstream language
- Ability to use procedural or OO style programming according to my preference
- Ability to use standard C/ASM libraries without much difficulty
- Syntax should be easy to read for debugging
- Access to pointer/references is a plus
- Being fast is a plus
- Multiplatform is a plus

Sry for the novel :kaola: