gprs data on t-mobile in SF bay area

Last response: in Technologies
June 10, 2004 10:46:14 PM

Hello:

I'm interesting in doing GPRS data on t-mobile in the SF bay
area.

I've done some experiments with my cellphone (pre-paid plan) and
wap.voicestream.com. So far, I've been underwhelmed. 2/3 of my data
sessions don't transfer much data and have large time gaps between
packets of data. When it works, it seems to work quite well, about
37kbps. But it doesn't work more often than it does work. I'm not sure
if my problems are due to phone issues, using wap.voicestream.com, or
just gprs in general.

Before I go and get an aircard and full internet access (need it
for vpn to work) I'd like to find out what the experiences of others
have been.

Larry
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 1:39:55 AM

"Larry Brown" <joe@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I'm interesting in doing GPRS data on t-mobile in the SF bay
> area.
>
> I've done some experiments with my cellphone (pre-paid plan) and
> wap.voicestream.com. So far, I've been underwhelmed. 2/3 of my data
> sessions don't transfer much data and have large time gaps between
> packets of data. When it works, it seems to work quite well, about
> 37kbps. But it doesn't work more often than it does work. I'm not sure
> if my problems are due to phone issues, using wap.voicestream.com, or
> just gprs in general.
>
> Before I go and get an aircard and full internet access (need it
> for vpn to work) I'd like to find out what the experiences of others
> have been.
>
> Larry

Get Verizon Service with your aircard, I did not experience using it but
heard that WCDMA is a lot faster than GPRS.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 2:33:51 AM

"Kentish" <ask.me@willtell.you> wrote in message news:<LEpyc.12767$wi2.8394@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...

> > Before I go and get an aircard and full internet access (need it
> > for vpn to work) I'd like to find out what the experiences of others
> > have been.
> >
> > Larry
> >

> Get Verizon Service with your aircard, I did not experience using it but
> heard that WCDMA is a lot faster than GPRS.

Well, for starters, the GSM Aircards T-Mobile uses aren't compatible
with Verizon's (and vice-versa). Second, although Verizon's Express
Network is faster, it's $80/month vs. T-Mo's $30.

Your advice, though no doubt well intentioned, is sort of like
suggesting a $30 filet mignon at Morton's to guy asking if the $9
burger at the Hard Rock is edible... ;-)

T-Mo has opened up wireless data for a new market- those willing to
buy data at a reasonable price out of convenience, rather than those
held hostage to carriers' high prices by necessity.
June 13, 2004 7:38:00 PM

I was in SF with an Aircard 750 using t-mobile. The coverage was
great but the data service was really really bad.

In Chicago (my home market) I can get very good GRPS speeds of
~40kbps. Not so in SF area. I was lucky to get any speed at all and
when I did it was more like the old CSD speeds of 9.6kbps.

If I was moving to SF I would not even think of keeping t-mobile if
what I saw over the 3 days I was there was normal.

-D

Larry Brown <joe@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:<a9ahc011m35gnedajsfehsknte8jglgm1i@4ax.com>...
> Hello:
>
> I'm interesting in doing GPRS data on t-mobile in the SF bay
> area.
>
> I've done some experiments with my cellphone (pre-paid plan) and
> wap.voicestream.com. So far, I've been underwhelmed. 2/3 of my data
> sessions don't transfer much data and have large time gaps between
> packets of data. When it works, it seems to work quite well, about
> 37kbps. But it doesn't work more often than it does work. I'm not sure
> if my problems are due to phone issues, using wap.voicestream.com, or
> just gprs in general.
>
> Before I go and get an aircard and full internet access (need it
> for vpn to work) I'd like to find out what the experiences of others
> have been.
>
> Larry
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:35:28 AM

Take a look at Cingular's GSM network. With EDGE I'm seeing data rates
upto 200k. ALso Cingular matched T-mobile plan with the "media works"
package it is also $19.99. I've had it for a month and I love it!!! ON
the down side, you need a EDGE phone to see these speeds, but you can
stll get GPRS speeds slightly better than t-mobile.

Todd Allcock wrote:
> "Kentish" <ask.me@willtell.you> wrote in message news:<LEpyc.12767$wi2.8394@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>...
>

>>> Before I go and get an aircard and full internet access (need it
>>>for vpn to work) I'd like to find out what the experiences of others
>>>have been.
>>>
>>>Larry
>>>

>>Get Verizon Service with your aircard, I did not experience using it but
>>heard that WCDMA is a lot faster than GPRS.
>

> Well, for starters, the GSM Aircards T-Mobile uses aren't compatible
> with Verizon's (and vice-versa). Second, although Verizon's Express
> Network is faster, it's $80/month vs. T-Mo's $30.
>
> Your advice, though no doubt well intentioned, is sort of like
> suggesting a $30 filet mignon at Morton's to guy asking if the $9
> burger at the Hard Rock is edible... ;-)
>
> T-Mo has opened up wireless data for a new market- those willing to
> buy data at a reasonable price out of convenience, rather than those
> held hostage to carriers' high prices by necessity.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:49:15 AM

R.M <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
> Take a look at Cingular's GSM network. With EDGE I'm seeing data rates
> upto 200k. ALso Cingular matched T-mobile plan with the "media works"
> package it is also $19.99. I've had it for a month and I love it!!! ON
> the down side, you need a EDGE phone to see these speeds, but you can
> stll get GPRS speeds slightly better than t-mobile.

I have switched from T-Mobile to Cingular. I see about 41kbps. On T-Mobile i was about 39kbps. And less if the signal was problematic.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:18:46 PM

Good deal. If you have the money see if you can get an EDGE phone. Even
with the worst signal I always see at least 100k. If your already on a
gprs plan then you can also do EDGE at no extra cost(phone excluded).
Just remember to get a phone that had 850 in it. I'm using the Nokia
6230b that has 850, but don't confuse it with the 6230 that has 900
instead of 850.

Mark E. Daniel wrote:
> R.M <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
>
>>Take a look at Cingular's GSM network. With EDGE I'm seeing data rates
>>upto 200k. ALso Cingular matched T-mobile plan with the "media works"
>>package it is also $19.99. I've had it for a month and I love it!!! ON
>>the down side, you need a EDGE phone to see these speeds, but you can
>>stll get GPRS speeds slightly better than t-mobile.
>

> I have switched from T-Mobile to Cingular. I see about 41kbps. On T-Mobile i was about 39kbps. And less if the signal was problematic.

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 8:24:07 AM

R.M <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:
> Good deal. If you have the money see if you can get an EDGE phone. Even
> with the worst signal I always see at least 100k. If your already on a

When a EDGE handset with symbian comes I will probably switch.:)
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:32:13 AM

Hello:

Thanks for all of the responses. A few comments. Yes, I'd rather
get the Verizon offering, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the
$80/month for unlimited data. But I use it enough to need unlimited
vs. the per MB rates. I don't want to have to keep track of my data
usage.

Also, here in CA, at least at this moment, T-mobile and Cingular
are the same network. No advantage of one over the other as far as
performance. When the upcoming purchases are complete, this will
change.

Finally, EDGE is not available here yet on T-mobile or Cingular.
ATT has it here, but once again, at $80/month.

Thanks, Larry

!