Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k cooling temperatures @4.3ghz, are they GOOD TEMPS?

Last response: in CPUs
April 4, 2012 6:57:27 AM

Hello, this is my first post so take it easy on me.

I've overclocked my i5-2500k lga1155 to 4.3 ghz and I've been wondering if the temps. are ok.

Idle temps 39-41 celcius Full load 60-70

Is this ok for my computer?

My Rig:

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1300mhz
Graphics Card: EVGA Gtx 560 ti Crysis 2 edition @ 900mhz
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
PSU:Corsair GS 800W
Case: Thermaltake Armor A90
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 7:02:02 AM

They're a bit high by perhaps 5-10 deg C. When I've OCd mine at 4.4GHz, it idled at 30ish deg C and maxed at about 62 deg C with a Hyper-212 cooler. What heatsink are you using?
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:03:57 AM

diellur said:
They're a bit high by perhaps 5-10 deg C. When I've OCd mine at 4.4GHz, it idled at 30ish deg C and maxed at about 62 deg C with a Hyper-212 cooler. What heatsink are you using?

I am using the stock fan that came with the i5-2500k.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 7:09:31 AM

theshiznut said:
I am using the stock fan that came with the i5-2500k.

That's your problem. You really don't want to overclock using stock cooling, it's not going to dissipate the additional heat efficiently. Depending on budget, go for something like the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 (cheap and cheerful, but effective), the Thermaltake Silver Arrow (pricey, one of the best air-coolers going) or a closed-loop water cooler like the Corsair H80 (pricier yet again, but good cooling).
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:15:16 AM

diellur said:
That's your problem. You really don't want to overclock using stock cooling, it's not going to dissipate the additional heat efficiently. Depending on budget, go for something like the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 (cheap and cheerful, but effective), the Thermaltake Silver Arrow (pricey, one of the best air-coolers going) or a closed-loop water cooler like the Corsair H80 (pricier yet again, but good cooling).

A lot of people have been telling me to get the hyper212___, should I get that or a more higher quality cooler?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 7:19:25 AM

theshiznut said:
A lot of people have been telling me to get the hyper212___, should I get that or a more higher quality cooler?

It depends on your budget. The H-212 is great, I used it for a few months and only upgraded because I fancied the H100. Get another fan and set it up push-pull, your temps will be fine. The fans are PWM too, which means they only ramp up when needed and installation is pretty straightforward too.

That being said, there are coolers out there that'll give you better performance...the strength of the H-212 is that you get very good performance for the price. The i5-2500K doesn't run hot though, even when overclocked, so it should be enough for you.
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:25:17 AM

diellur said:
It depends on your budget. The H-212 is great, I used it for a few months and only upgraded because I fancied the H100. Get another fan and set it up push-pull, your temps will be fine. The fans are PWM too, which means they only ramp up when needed and installation is pretty straightforward too.

That being said, there are coolers out there that'll give you better performance...the strength of the H-212 is that you get very good performance for the price. The i5-2500K doesn't run hot though, even when overclocked, so it should be enough for you.

the hyper212+ will most likely be my first choice, but my temps. right now, are they anything to worry about?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 7:30:22 AM

theshiznut said:
the hyper212+ will most likely be my first choice, but my temps. right now, are they anything to worry about?

Well...no, not really. The i5-2500K has a max temp of 98 deg C, so you're well within that. However, the temps you're getting are high for the overclock you have and definitely high for idle (how's your case ventilation and cable routing?) What you're doing is effectively running the CPU harder from a temp perspective than you need to, and wearing the chip out faster.
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:39:05 AM

diellur said:
Well...no, not really. The i5-2500K has a max temp of 98 deg C, so you're well within that. However, the temps you're getting are high for the overclock you have and definitely high for idle (how's your case ventilation and cable routing?) What you're doing is effectively running the CPU harder from a temp perspective than you need to, and wearing the chip out faster.

You're scaring the crap out of me, ventilation is alright for my case but it has one 1 120mm fan front, 120mm fan in back and a 200 mm fan on top.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 7:55:24 AM

theshiznut said:
You're scaring the crap out of me, ventilation is alright for my case but it has one 1 120mm fan front, 120mm fan in back and a 200 mm fan on top.

I'm scaring you...? Relax my friend, things are just fine. :) 

Your ventilation is fine...just make sure your cables are tidied away neatly so the airflow inside the case is as unimpeded as possible.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:14:22 AM

diellur said:
I'm scaring you...? Relax my friend, things are just fine. :) 

Your ventilation is fine...just make sure your cables are tidied away neatly so the airflow inside the case is as unimpeded as possible.

Alright thanks.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 8:38:01 AM

diellur said:

are you sure about 98, the spec sheet says 72.1
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 8:48:56 AM

13thmonkey said:
are you sure about 98, the spec sheet says 72.1

Um...no. I thought I was! Might be that the speed it throttles at is 98 deg C, but I can't find where I got that info from in the first place. So, without that, I defer to the Intel spec sheet! :??: 
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 9:00:44 AM

its the whole package temp (which they specify) vs core temp (which they don't) discussion. I seem to recall someone else mentioning throttling at high 90's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 9:10:48 AM

13thmonkey said:
its the whole package temp (which they specify) vs core temp (which they don't) discussion. I seem to recall someone else mentioning throttling at high 90's.

Yup. It's good to know, though. I tend not to whack my CPU up to that high a temp, but knowing it's lower definitely helps! The i5-2500K is going to be my most used / abused CPU to date when I get some time to OC it properly.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
April 4, 2012 9:19:51 AM

as will my 3570K
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:12:19 AM

yep, just to add my side to the temps thing, the 72 degrees off the intel specsheet is the Tcase, which is different from the Tjunction or Tjmax that programs like coretemp and realtemp use. This is 98 degrees so having the CPU at 60-70 should be fine.

although i'm very suprised that you managed that on the stock cooler, on the stock cooler my temps were 70-75 on stock clocks (with a well vented case). what do you use to stress the CPU?
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:25:08 PM

jwk3 said:
yep, just to add my side to the temps thing, the 72 degrees off the intel specsheet is the Tcase, which is different from the Tjunction or Tjmax that programs like coretemp and realtemp use. This is 98 degrees so having the CPU at 60-70 should be fine.

although i'm very suprised that you managed that on the stock cooler, on the stock cooler my temps were 70-75 on stock clocks (with a well vented case). what do you use to stress the CPU?

I have 3 fans in my Thermaltake Armor A90, one 120mm in the back, one 120mm in the front and a 200mm on top.

To say, idk how the **** I got it like this. XD
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2012 5:59:25 PM

theshiznut said:
I have 3 fans in my Thermaltake Armor A90, one 120mm in the back, one 120mm in the front and a 200mm on top.

To say, idk how the **** I got it like this. XD

The fact you get relatively low temps when OCing on stock cooling suggests your setup is good for heat management. You've not got a thing to worry about, once you upgrade your CPU heatsink. :) 
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:37:44 AM

diellur said:
The fact you get relatively low temps when OCing on stock cooling suggests your setup is good for heat management. You've not got a thing to worry about, once you upgrade your CPU heatsink. :) 

I have just installed the Hyper 212 Evo, I am getting a idle temp or 32-37. Is that safe? I also overclocked it to 4.5ghz 3.3v
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 5:45:07 PM

theshiznut said:
I have just installed the Hyper 212 Evo, I am getting a idle temp or 32-37. Is that safe? I also overclocked it to 4.5ghz 3.3v

Perfectly...idle temps are at 1.6GHz due to the speed control that Intel have built into their CPUs. I'm at 28-30 deg C right now, and that's with a closed loop water cooler so you're OK there.

However...3.3V? The max that the i5-2500K can take is 1.52! You sure you've got the right reading there?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 7:54:19 PM

4.3ghz for a stock cooler is awesome IMO! =] Yeah a bit hot but safe and fantastic for how crappy those Intel stock coolers are (or usually are).
m
l
!