Sign in with
Your question

First build, need lots of help

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2011 12:34:04 AM

To start off, i have little clue to what i am doing, so bear with me.

I'm looking to run the game, Star wars the old republic, on it. My budget is roughly 700 dollars I can go a little over if it will make that much of a difference
I can squeeze out 800 dollars MAX. I'd prefer for it to run smoother then high graphics, if those are related in different parts. (Like i said, i know little about what goes into computers)

I'd prefer to purchase parts from newegg and for the system to be a desktop.

If any more information is needed i'd be glad to provide.

Thanks in advance :D  .

More about : build lots

December 28, 2011 2:21:53 AM

The system Emelth suggested looks like a good buy.

Since you're new to PC building and PC gaming I'd guess you probably won't be overclocking or SLI//Xfiring and may not need a 2500K and Z68 mobo, but may need other things including: monitor, OS, speakers, keyboard, mouse...if so we'd need to balance the build to include these costs.

Smeef: Here's the standard form that gives everyone on the forums all the info we need to help put together a system that fits your needs best:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
Related resources
December 28, 2011 2:49:25 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP
Budget Range:700-800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming. Swtor (max settings preferably) while running ventrilo with it at the most.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, And speakers (I use my mic for sound)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: None.

Overclocking: Can someone tell me what this is?
SLI or Crossfire: Can someone tell me what this is?
Monitor Resolution: 1440 X 900

Additional Comments: N/A
December 28, 2011 3:07:32 AM

Thanks for the info on building, I have a friend coming over who builds computers a lot. He just wanted me to find the parts before he came over to help.

Would you recomend overclocking? It seems a little to good to be true.
December 28, 2011 3:03:14 PM

It looks like the $600 build Tom's put together would fit you pretty well. Add a copy of Windows 7 and you'd be at @ $700.

Hope you're having a blast with SWTOR! Here's a performance article Tom's did on SWTOR to give you an idea of performance, you should be able to run high settings at 1440x900!
December 28, 2011 3:16:01 PM

Emelth said:
Here is a good bundle to look at if you just get a GTX 560 or 6870 and you will be good or you can go the AMD route if you want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

So if i buy the bundle am i set? Or do i need to purchase the GTX 560 seperatly?
December 28, 2011 3:36:21 PM

smeef said:
So if i buy the bundle am i set? Or do i need to purchase the GTX 560 seperatly?

The bundle Emelth suggested has really nice components that would allow overclocking, etc. To get that bundle up and running you'd need to add:

1) A video card: Emelth suggested a GTX 560 or 6870 ($180-$220) which are great price/performance cards
2) A DVD/CD drive (@ $20)
3) A copy of Windows ($100)

So the price would be:

Combo: $624
Video Card: $180-$220
DVD/CD Drive: $20
Windows: $100
Total: $924-$944

If you can stretch your budget this would be a great rig. If not, I'd suggest taking another look at Tom's $600 build.
December 28, 2011 10:02:14 PM

phensen said:
The bundle Emelth suggested has really nice components that would allow overclocking, etc. To get that bundle up and running you'd need to add:

1) A video card: Emelth suggested a GTX 560 or 6870 ($180-$220) which are great price/performance cards
2) A DVD/CD drive (@ $20)
3) A copy of Windows ($100)

So the price would be:

Combo: $624
Video Card: $180-$220
DVD/CD Drive: $20
Windows: $100
Total: $924-$944

If you can stretch your budget this would be a great rig. If not, I'd suggest taking another look at Tom's $600 build.

thanks man, i really really appreciate everyone's help!
!