Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any Bottlenecks In this Build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 28, 2011 12:50:35 AM

MSI ATI AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III PE/OC Unlocked Shaders Video Card
Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
Tx650w Cosair
Visiontek 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 CL8 1600 EX
M4A87TD EVo Asus

Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB
Brand Seagate
Model Barracuda 7200.11
MPN ST3500320AS
UPC 4260098169065, 683728170141, 836367002889
Key Features
Enclosure Internal
Capacity 500 GB
Buffer Size 32 MB
Hard Drive Type HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Spindle Speed 7200 RPM
Interface SATA 2

Do you think this will have any bottlenecks?

More about : bottlenecks build

December 28, 2011 1:01:55 AM

You wont be able to SLI another 6950 without upgrading the CPU

You also wont be able to upgrade the CPU because the motherboard isnt AM3+

Besides that no bottlenecks but it depends on what games you will be playing
December 28, 2011 1:04:24 AM

no bottleneck nice selection!
Related resources
December 28, 2011 1:05:12 AM

Emelth said:
You wont be able to SLI another 6950 without upgrading the CPU

You also wont be able to upgrade the CPU because the motherboard isnt AM3+

Besides that no bottlenecks but it depends on what games you will be playing

BF3, MW3, TF2, Skyrim, etc. I am ruining a 22 in. 1680x1050 but soon upgrade to 24in maybe or eyefinity.
December 28, 2011 1:08:22 AM

You will be good with the 1050 screen
December 28, 2011 1:16:33 AM

Emelth said:
You wont be able to SLI another 6950 without upgrading the CPU

You also wont be able to upgrade the CPU because the motherboard isnt AM3+

Besides that no bottlenecks but it depends on what games you will be playing


Radeons can't use SLI they use Crossfire, no the technologies are NOT the same. You can crossfire the two radeons with a Phenom II CPU but it would be best to overclock it to at least 4GHz if you can.

You may be somewhat bottlenecked in very CPU intensive games that don't take good use of four or more cores but it shouldn't be a huge problem if you're running the Phenom II at 4GHz and don't use the highest settings and resolutions. Don't try an Eyefinity resolution with an AMD CPU.

AM3+ CPUs are slower than AM3 CPUs so I wouldn't call them an upgrade anyway and after this system is old a few years later it will be time to switch to Intel if AMD doesn't relearn how to build fast CPUs so upgrading to newer AMD CPUs won't be a problem anyway.

Besides that many AM3 motherboards support AM3+ processors so you would need to check with the motherboard's manufacturer to see if it supports the AM3+ processors.
December 28, 2011 1:36:02 AM

to whoever said there will be no bottleneck must have never played skyrim or battlefield. both games will see improvement with a better cpu.
December 28, 2011 1:53:09 AM

Then what other am3 CPU should I get besides the 1055t? Also don't forget I could oc the 1055t to at least 3.2.
December 28, 2011 2:04:10 AM

do you already have the motherboard or what? overclocking that cpu to 4.0 is the best amd can get you.
December 28, 2011 2:11:34 AM

cbrunnem said:
do you already have the motherboard or what? overclocking that cpu to 4.0 is the best amd can get you.

Yea I already got the mobo.
December 28, 2011 2:41:47 AM

1055T can go over 4GHz. However, a Phenom 1070T would go further, you could hit well over 4GHz with it or a 1090T. 1100T is kinda a waste in my opinion.

Current games often prefer per clock performance and high clock rates over larger core counts. Because of this the i5 CPUs (most importantly the i5-2500K) often outperform Phenom II six cores considerably in many games.

A Phenom II x4 980 would have better performance than the Phenom II six core CPUs because it can be overclocked more than any of AMD's six core CPUs and it outperforms all FX CPUs. If you want an AMD CPU in a gaming machine then the Phenom II 980 is currently the best option.

If you are willing to spend another $30-60 for the i5-2500K then you won't be disappointed by the performance but If you intend to go Intel I would get a cheaper throw away CPU and wait on it until Ivy Bridge comes out and upgrade to the top i5 or an i7 Ivy bridge CPU.


Since you already have an AMD motherboard I recommend the Phenom II 980 for top AMD gaming performance, it isn't far behind Intel's best and can be found well under $200 last I checked a few days ago.

Regardless of all this, games are starting to take better advantage of many threads so we could see much more heavily multi-threaded games within the next few years. Unfortunately there probably won't be a large number of such titles until after the Phenom IIs are completely obsolete... At which time a switch to Intel will be necessary if AMD doesn't get their crap together because their new FX CPUs are worse than the considerably old Phenom IIs in pretty much everything except for the most heavily multi-threaded work on an FX 8 core CPU, and even then it isn't much improvement.
December 28, 2011 2:57:12 AM

blazorthon said:
1055T can go over 4GHz. However, a Phenom 1070T would go further, you could hit well over 4GHz with it or a 1090T. 1100T is kinda a waste in my opinion.

Current games often prefer per clock performance and high clock rates over larger core counts. Because of this the i5 CPUs (most importantly the i5-2500K) often outperform Phenom II six cores considerably in many games.

A Phenom II x4 980 would have better performance than the Phenom II six core CPUs because it can be overclocked more than any of AMD's six core CPUs and it outperforms all FX CPUs. If you want an AMD CPU in a gaming machine then the Phenom II 980 is currently the best option.

If you are willing to spend another $30-60 for the i5-2500K then you won't be disappointed by the performance but If you intend to go Intel I would get a cheaper throw away CPU and wait on it until Ivy Bridge comes out and upgrade to the top i5 or an i7 Ivy bridge CPU.


Since you already have an AMD motherboard I recommend the Phenom II 980 for top AMD gaming performance, it isn't far behind Intel's best and can be found well under $200 last I checked a few days ago.

Regardless of all this, games are starting to take better advantage of many threads so we could see much more heavily multi-threaded games within the next few years. Unfortunately there probably won't be a large number of such titles until after the Phenom IIs are completely obsolete... At which time a switch to Intel will be necessary if AMD doesn't get their crap together because their new FX CPUs are worse than the considerably old Phenom IIs in pretty much everything except for the most heavily multi-threaded work on an FX 8 core CPU, and even then it isn't much improvement.


So a 980 would be my best bet for gaming? Also I do editing so is a x4 980 going to satisfy my needs? Also is a CNPS9900A Zalman cpu cooler going to handle that cpu?
December 28, 2011 3:04:53 AM

Also it will be awhile before I upgrade my mobo so I am going need a processor that is going to last and keep up with future games.
December 28, 2011 3:16:48 AM

blazorthon said:
1055T can go over 4GHz. However, a Phenom 1070T would go further, you could hit well over 4GHz with it or a 1090T. 1100T is kinda a waste in my opinion.

Current games often prefer per clock performance and high clock rates over larger core counts. Because of this the i5 CPUs (most importantly the i5-2500K) often outperform Phenom II six cores considerably in many games.

A Phenom II x4 980 would have better performance than the Phenom II six core CPUs because it can be overclocked more than any of AMD's six core CPUs and it outperforms all FX CPUs. If you want an AMD CPU in a gaming machine then the Phenom II 980 is currently the best option.

If you are willing to spend another $30-60 for the i5-2500K then you won't be disappointed by the performance but If you intend to go Intel I would get a cheaper throw away CPU and wait on it until Ivy Bridge comes out and upgrade to the top i5 or an i7 Ivy bridge CPU.


Since you already have an AMD motherboard I recommend the Phenom II 980 for top AMD gaming performance, it isn't far behind Intel's best and can be found well under $200 last I checked a few days ago.

Regardless of all this, games are starting to take better advantage of many threads so we could see much more heavily multi-threaded games within the next few years. Unfortunately there probably won't be a large number of such titles until after the Phenom IIs are completely obsolete... At which time a switch to Intel will be necessary if AMD doesn't get their crap together because their new FX CPUs are worse than the considerably old Phenom IIs in pretty much everything except for the most heavily multi-threaded work on an FX 8 core CPU, and even then it isn't much improvement.


this is overall bad advice. to say that a 980 is the best amd option is just telling someone to throw away money. the 955 BE is the same processor but downclocked but since its a black edition you can EASILY overclock it to the same clock and save some money.

also to say that a 1070t will overclock higher then a 1055t is wrong. they are the exact same chip and there is nothing physically different between any x6 chips. they are binned some the odds are a bit lower but every chip is different.

OP if your going the AMD route get an AMD Phenom X4 955 BE it will overclock as high as any other x4 for less. get it and overclock it as high as you can.
December 28, 2011 3:17:02 AM

Amd is not future proof.
December 28, 2011 3:28:41 AM

The 980 BE is the best AMD has. If you want something better you will need to get an Intel quad or very expensive six core CPU.

You need to realize the Phenom II is a considerably old micro-architecture, the Phenom II arch has been around since 2009 or 2008, I don't remember which. Sandy Bridge is only about one year old and is getting replaced later next year by Ivy Bridge so Intel will still have more and more modern CPUs while AMD has either older CPUs or their garbage FX Bulldozer CPUs.

I hope AMD gets their crap together but I'm not expecting them too, you would be best to switch to Intel.

Also note that by the time a motherboard upgrade is due DDR4 will have probably come out and that means the CPU will need to be replaced along with the memory anyway so upgrade-ability isn't the biggest problem right now.

If AMD makes their first DDR4 compatible CPUs with a previous DDR3 controller like they did with the Athlon/Phenom IIs (they both also have a dual channel DDR2 controller for backwards compatibility) then all you would need to do is get a cheap AM3+ motherboard and switch out the Phenom II with an AM4 CPU when they come out and later replace the motherboard with an AM4+ motherboard and get DDR4 memory for it, then once AM5 hits you just repeat the process.

Of course all of this is assuming AMD relearns how to make decent CPUs and I don't have faith in AMD right now, especially after announcing they will no longer compete with Intel in high performance markets.

If AMD continues failing for enthusiasts then a switch to Intel is unavoidable and thus upgrade-ability becomes a moot point.

Also,
cbrunnem said:
this is overall bad advice. to say that a 980 is the best amd option is just telling someone to throw away money. the 955 BE is the same processor but downclocked but since its a black edition you can EASILY overclock it to the same clock and save some money.

also to say that a 1070t will overclock higher then a 1055t is wrong. they are the exact same chip and there is nothing physically different between any x6 chips. they are binned some the odds are a bit lower but every chip is different.

OP if your going the AMD route get an AMD Phenom X4 955 BE it will overclock as high as any other x4 for less. get it and overclock it as high as you can.


I forgot about AMD's messed up binning... my bad, thanks for bringing that up. But to say a 1070T will overclock more than the 1055T can be correct if the 1055T is not a BE (I'm not sure if there are BE 1055Ts) because the low default CPU multiplier of the 1055T can be a problem if it is multiplier locked. BLCK overclocking might not be enough to get it well above 4.2 or so GHz with only a *14 multiplier

The 1070T BE doesn't have such a problem and can clock as high as it and the motherboard allow without pure BLCK overclocking that can't go above whatever the BLCK maxes out at before risking stability.

Like the above poster says, AMD doesn't seem to be very future proofed in gaming/high performance/enthusiast markets. This may change but probably won't.
December 28, 2011 3:37:28 AM

Tom's rates the 980 BE (and 975 BE) in this tier of performance:
Core i7-860, -870, -875K, -920, -930, -940, -950,
Core i5-750, -760, -2405S, -2400S

It is just slightly below these:

Core i7-2600, -2600K, -2700K, -3820, -3930K, -3960X
Core i7-965, -975 Extreme, -980X Extreme, -990X Extreme
Core i7-980, -970, -960
Core i5-2500, -2500K, -2400, -2320, -2310, -2300

Of course the Intel six cores and i5-2500K, i7-2600K and i7-2700K can handle ridiculous graphics solutions like two Radeon 6990s or two GTX 590s much better than the Phenom II 980 BE can but it is just below Intel's absolute best in gaming performance.

I don't know if that cooler can handle Phenom II quad cores with a huge overclock but I bet this can:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It claims to be able to handle 300 watt loads and Zalman has proven that it can build air coolers that can do that before. I don't know if you can find something adequate at a lower price but I bet that it would work and it isn't that bad. If you want to insure you have sufficient cooling you can get something like the Noctua nf-D14 but it is even more expensive.

The lower cost of the Phenoms compared to the i5s can be offset by the higher price of a better cooler to get closer performance... But you already have an AMD motherboard so unless you don't use it you are locked to AMD CPUs for this build.
December 28, 2011 3:42:36 AM

i was never saying that the 980 isnt the best im saying that a 955 can achieve the same clocks for less money.
December 28, 2011 3:51:27 AM

I agreed with you, I just pointed out what Tom's said. AMD often has slower versions of their CPUs that overclock to the exact same frequencies of CPUs with a faster default clock speed. This is still being done with their FX CPUs, the 8120 overclocks to the exact same ~4.5GHz as the 8150 and uses the same amount of power doing so.

I had just forgotten about that since all I have been able to recommend for gaming/high performance usage is Intel since the FX line came out. I resent AMD for this mockery of a CPU they have made, Bulldozer is a worse mistake than the original Phenoms were and AMD claims that it won't be recovering from it like they did with the Phenom IIs after the Phenom fiasco.

AMD plans on improving there CPUs by 10-15% every year for at least a few years but that means by 2015 or so they would still be worse than the current Sandy bridge and upcoming Ivy bridge, let alone Haswell and Skylake that Intel has coming by then.

@djrabbit, you can go ahead and get the Phenom II 955 BE but make sure it isn't a Phenom 955, it must be a BE (black edition) or it will have a locked multiplier and you need an unlocked multiplier to overclock it the farthest.
December 28, 2011 4:08:27 AM

blazorthon said:
I agreed with you, I just pointed out what Tom's said. AMD often has slower versions of their CPUs that overclock to the exact same frequencies of CPUs with a faster default clock speed. This is still being done with their FX CPUs, the 8120 overclocks to the exact same ~4.5GHz as the 8150 and uses the same amount of power doing so.

I had just forgotten about that since all I have been able to recommend for gaming/high performance usage is Intel since the FX line came out. I resent AMD for this mockery of a CPU they have made, Bulldozer is a worse mistake than the original Phenoms were and AMD claims that it won't be recovering from it like they did with the Phenom IIs after the Phenom fiasco.

AMD plans on improving there CPUs by 10-15% every year for at least a few years but that means by 2015 or so they would still be worse than the current Sandy bridge and upcoming Ivy bridge, let alone Haswell and Skylake that Intel has coming by then.

@djrabbit, you can go ahead and get the Phenom II 955 BE but make sure it isn't a Phenom 955, it must be a BE (black edition) or it will have a locked multiplier and you need an unlocked multiplier to overclock it the farthest.

If I oc to 980 speed with the 955 will the 955 be hotter than the 980?
December 28, 2011 4:14:20 AM

no they would essentially be the same cpu. temperature will vary from cpu to cpu though cause not all cpus can run the same speed at the same voltage and voltage makes heat.
December 28, 2011 4:22:05 AM

delete
December 28, 2011 4:29:35 AM

Thank you every one for your help and I decided I will go with a Phenom II 955 BE and OC.
December 28, 2011 4:43:15 AM

Quote:
Proof:
Phenom II X4 955 BE C3/ 4000 MHz 200*20 1.512v/ Auto 2400 MHz 1.3v/ 2x2GB + 2x1GB GEIL Black Dragon/DDR3/1333/8-9-9-24 @ 1.6V/ MSI 790FX-GD70 /Coolermaster Hyper 212+ p/p
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dF...

Phenom II X4 B55 C3 4500.4 MHz 200.02*22.5 1.55v/ Auto 2400 MHz/ Geil 4x2GB DDR3 1333 MHz 8-9-9-24@1.55v /MSI 790FX-GD70/ Cool-It ALC ECO

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Atid2icGx257dF...

P.S my name used to be 384-BiT.


you make no sense
December 28, 2011 4:53:43 AM

your comparing two different chips? more then likely amd made the 555 a 555 for a reason
December 28, 2011 4:58:37 AM

AMD made the 555 a dual core instead of a quad core becuase AMD had nothing at that exact performance range and decided to take quad core chips and use them as dual/tri core chips.

AMD also uses quad core chips with any problems in one or two cores as dual/tri core chips so they aren't wasted and because of this some Phenom II dual/tri core CPUs can't be unlocked, the spare core(s) is(are) damaged and won't work.

The point the above poster is trying to make is that all CPUs are not created equal... some can hit higher frequencies than similar chips without a higher voltage than those similar chips.


The 555 is essentially a quad core CPU with two cores disabled. Sometimes one or two of those cores can be enables, giving you a tri/quad core chip that is cheaper than the regular tri/quad core chips and sometimes trying to unlock the chip doesn't work. Some times successes increase the TDP to much because of poorer quality silicon.
December 28, 2011 4:59:25 AM

Quote:
If you want the best overclocking capabilities i would get a more premium motherboard.
In the end it is worth it.
However your suggested componants are nice for a budget.


he already has a motherboard hence not wanting to buy an intel build
December 28, 2011 5:03:16 AM

Quote:
Not in all cases.
My case is just some proof.
AMD will have binned them as a dual core for other reasons such as: requiring more voltage at stock to run stable, or a slightly lower score in the software they use to see if the chip is up to scratch.
AMD do not bin them just because the cores do not work.


I didn't mean to imply that defective cores is the only reason for binning otherwise similar CPUs differently, just that it is one reason for the binning.
December 28, 2011 5:29:07 AM

384 forgot your password ? :D 

I have yet to see or hear of a 555BE not unlocking. Not one.
Not even on a low end board that has the unlocking feature.

Mind you buy what you want and not what you might get.
December 28, 2011 5:40:45 AM

Just my 2 cents here, I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but the games your plaing all have alot of expansions, mods extra bs to download, 500GB HD might be a little on the small side. especialy if your like me and don't like to uninstall games you might play again in 6 months hehe.
December 28, 2011 5:41:33 AM

Fanboy gets you banned these days ? I bet 10 on Headspin............
December 28, 2011 11:16:49 AM

Quote:
A good HDD will cost a pretty penny atm.


There is a 500GB Seagate drive I have seen many times still going for $80. I will look for it now.
December 28, 2011 11:34:22 AM

His power supply will also bottleneck him if he wants to X-fire those right? Looks like a decent system if you dont want to upgrade. Should give some great graphics as is.
December 28, 2011 12:03:33 PM

mrtesseract said:
His power supply will also bottleneck him if he wants to X-fire those right? Looks like a decent system if you dont want to upgrade. Should give some great graphics as is.


That's a good point... 500 watts is not enough for crossfire. Low power cards might work but I wouldn't risk it.
December 28, 2011 2:44:05 PM

djrabbit said:
Yea I already got the mobo.


he did mention it
Quote:
Never mentioned intel...


wants to stick with amd

Quote:
No.
I was sick of users saying oh your a fanboy because i had an opinion.
So i asked a special MOD to change my name to think that i had vanished :lol:  :whistle: 


this doesnt help lol
!