Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezes while gaming or viewing HD video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2011 3:34:44 AM

I have been having a freezing issue, while gaming or sometimes viewing HD video. The computer will just freeze, and lock up. The screen freezes, and the sound freezes as well, giving a continuous noise of whatever sound was playing when the computer froze up. Control, Alt, Delete, doesn't work either, and the only way to fix the issue is to hit the reset button, or the power button to restart the computer. Can anyone give me input on why this may be happening. I assume it is the video card, as this only happens when I am gaming, or viewing HD video, mostly when I am gaming though. I have all of the latest video drivers installed and everything.

AMD Phenom II 965, 3.4ghz
XFX radeon 6950 1 GB
Kingston Hyper X Grey 8MB RAM
Asus motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 32MB cache, 7200RPM
Corsair AX 750 PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 3:58:20 AM

okay
1| did you assemble this rig
2| was the GPU the latest addition to your rig
3| what "asus" motherboard do you have, saying asus is very very vague - model and make
4| did you try a clean install of windows 7 64 after going through these issues?

please post back with the above answers - and we'll move on from there.
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:05:06 AM

1. Yes
2. No, I have had the GPU since I built the computer.
3. Asus M4A88TD-V EVO USB3
4. I re-installed Windows once back when I first got the computer up and running. I haven't done it since this has been happening.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 4:20:02 AM

try step 4 and see if anything changes - if it doesn't, look towards the psu and/or mobo for possibility in being defective.

and...disable onboard gpu, drop the dedicated GPU into second PCI-E 2.0 slot and see if anything changes.
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:23:30 AM

Can I reinstall windows without losing the several hundred gigs of programs and files that are on my hard drive right now? I don't have a back up drive to put the files on at the moment.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 4:24:04 AM

Last time I had this happen to me it was the video card that actually failed. What is the temp of the HD 6950?

Try re-installing Windows again.

m
l
October 30, 2011 4:29:57 AM

jaguarskx said:
Last time I had this happen to me it was the video card that actually failed. What is the temp of the HD 6950?

Try re-installing Windows again.

I have no way of telling what the temp is when this happens because the computer freezes. In the past when I check the temp it isn't too high. Usually only in the 60s. I run the fan at about 70-80%

Might it have anything to do with just needing to be dusted?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 4:30:56 AM

programs are easy to install, valuable data that you may have in your documents/downloads folder - however aren't that easy to come by. backup data and proceed with windows re-install.
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:35:42 AM

Lutfij said:
programs are easy to install, valuable data that you may have in your documents/downloads folder - however aren't that easy to come by. backup data and proceed with windows re-install.

It will be a few days before I can get my hands on another HD to back my stuff up. Any other things I could try in the meantime?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 4:40:51 AM

drivesweeper and reinstall drivers...you're only asking us to suggest things in the dark...cos of your limitations.

I'd want to stress, "programs are useless, your personal files however are valuable".
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:49:29 AM

Lutfij said:
drivesweeper and reinstall drivers...you're only asking us to suggest things in the dark...cos of your limitations.

I'd want to stress, "programs are useless, your personal files however are valuable".

Have done drivesweeper several times, as well as installed the latest CCC or now AMD Vision center or whatever it is called. The issue has stayed through all of that.

Obviously if my knowledge of such things wasn't so limited, I wouldn't have to request suggestions on here. I appreciate the input, and I understand what you were saying about my personal files as opposed to my programs. I have a hell of a lot of downloaded content as far as programs, and games. I don't have install discs for all of it though, hence the reason I am waiting until I have a way to back up everything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 30, 2011 4:57:11 AM

all the more reason to get a dvd burner and burn all data. HDD's also have a lifespan.

follow up on:
changing gpu to second slot
reinstall windows.

i can't think of anything else...although the three i mentioned are the culprits

a corrupt windows will also exhibit problems what you're seeing.
m
l
October 30, 2011 5:02:59 AM

NO! Bloody hell. Do NOT go reinstalling Windows willy-nilly! You know how much work that is fer-crying-out-loud. No. Remove your video card, clean it/remove dust. Blow out the rest of the case. Replace the video card (check the fan turns) and leave the SIDE OFF your case. Get a desk-fan and blow air in the open side. Try your games and see if it still freezes up. Then go to http://www.acronis.com/ and get yourself the best disk-imaging software to back up your entire C: drive. Then back it up monthly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 5:06:05 AM

Chances are one of these:
Failing HDD(Causes Freezes)
Failing PSU(Shut down)
Failing GPU(Causes freezes or driver problem)
Failing CPU(BSOD or Freezes)
Over Heating CPU(Shut down)
Over Heating GPU(Usually driver problem than shut down)
Over Heating North Bridge(This could also causes freezes or BSOD)
Low CPU Voltage(Usually causes freezes b4 a BSOD occurs after 1-2 sec or 1-2 minutes)
Low NB Voltage(Same to CPU)
Memory need default voltage(Set to default manually in BIOS)
Memory need default timing(Set to default manually in BIOS)

*MOST LIKELY REASON FOR FREEZES

SOFTWARE PROBLEM!!!
WINDOWS ERROR!!!(Registry Error or just Windows 7)
VIRUS!!!

EDIT: It could be that your loading a lot of stuff making it looks like it's freezing lol... How old did you bought it and how must storage is taken on the 1TB Drive?
m
l
October 30, 2011 5:10:08 AM

I've been using Acronis True Image Home since Norton Ghost started getting stupid years ago, and haven't ever needed to re-install Windows the painful way since. Back up to a second HDD in your PC, or to a USB-HDD. An image file is created with which you can restore to any new HDD, or back to the old one. It's fast and very professional, and low-cost, if you value your TIME like I do.
m
l
October 30, 2011 5:15:45 AM

Your problem is almost certainly one of over-heating. Probably the GPU chip, possibly a bridge chip on the mobo. The deskfan test will help determine if so.

To keep Windows registry clean & defragged there are a whole bunch of 'PC tuning" software out there. Auslogics Boostspeed is my choice, it does the job well.
m
l
October 30, 2011 5:27:09 AM

I have seen this problem before. If it is not a over heating issue. It is most likely a faulty PSU, try swapping out the PSU with another one and see if you have the same problems. Also check and see if you have any caps with round tops.
m
l
October 18, 2013 4:06:11 PM

Seemed to be an overheating GPU. That XFX I have seems to have a very poor cooling solution in it. Temps run high whenever gaming or video is running full screen. Removing the side panel and turning the GPU fan up alleviates the issue.
m
l
!