Solved

Best cpu?

Howzit guys.
im looking to get a new cpu and mobo upgrade soon, and wanted some opinions...

1st choice: i7-2600k

2nd choice: Ivy bridge equivalent

So u guys can see what performance im looking for now, so what do you say? I dont want to wait for more than 2 months in any scenario, and have a budget of about $850 for cpu AND mobo.

also, any mobo suggestions? Ill also be using this in conjunction with my 7970, 720w PSU, and 12gb ram... Xfire is a future possibility...

Many thanks in advance! :hello:

PS, this is purely a gaming rig, but obviously want the most power that i can afford...
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best
  1. How can anyone give you an opinion on unreleased (and not even leaked properly) parts?

We all know that the 2600K is still overkill considering that you can clock the 2500K to match performance. MAybe you have a small amount of extra headroom at that, but for greatly more cost.

Ask this question when the performance of the Ivy Bridges are known. Otherwise you will only get wise-ass answers like this...
  2. Ivy bridge equivalent when it comes out
  3. actually, look at Sandy bridge extreme with $850 for processor and mobo but that will be even more overkill than a 2600k
  4. If I were going to spend $850 on a CPU and board, I'd go LGA 2011 and it would be on a 3930K and an ASUS P9X79 Pro or X79 Sabertooth board.

But given the choices you're considering, I'd just get the 2600K and a Z-68 board. This will be a great rig for 3-5 years. You could wait for Ivy bridge, but if you wait, why not wait for the next best thing after that? The Ivy bridge's major advantage seems to be better integrated video, but I'm not so sure you'll even be using that considering you have a 7970?
  5. Best answer
    Hello.
    Just wait a month (for the cpu, you can buy the mobo in a week).
    -----CPU-----
    Intel Core i7 3770K
    clock: 3.5GHz
    core/threads: 4 / 8
    L3 cache: 8MB
    Max turbo: 3.9GHz
    intel Graphics: 4000
    TDP: 77W
    Price: $332 est

-----Motherboard-----
    ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    This will be around $250.

ASUS P8Z77-V
    This will be around $170

And I cant see on your post that you have so:
    CPU Cooler:
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $34.64

Total: $535 to $615 depended on the mobo selection.

A few info about Ivybridge and why to wait: Anandtech i7 3770K preview

ps: SABERTOOTH Z77 is also nice but for $300 it doesnt give so many features over the Z77 deluxe.

Edit: Ivy bridge i7 3770K will destroy any competition in gaming cpus. Just a sample:

:)
  6. thanx everyone!
    as for americanbrian, go and suck on a big mac you patriotic imbecile.

I will wait for IB then choose...
  7. Best answer selected by p4nz3rm4d.
  8. p4nz3rm4d said:
    Best answer selected by p4nz3rm4d.

n
    nQuick question, whats a AMD Phoenom II X6 1090t?
  9. Its actually a descriptor as I live in Scotland, and know several Brians.... I was born in the US of A.

And I prefer burger king TYVM.

Enjoy spending loads extra on your 7% improvement of performance with 0 knowledge of the OC headroom of a new processor technology.

Meanwhile I will OC the crap out of my far cheaper CPU and make yours look like the choice of a pretentious 1%er that you almost certainly are.
  10. I used to live in Scotland.
  11. Sorry I misread p4nz3rm4d's post.

It looks like he is taking my advice AND attacking me for the advice I gave him basing it entirely on his preconceptions of my "nationality" (I am actually a dual national).

Bring on independence for Scotland. English twats... (see what I did there... make wild and probably inaccurate insults condemning entire nations) I am taking his approach too!!!
  12. hey americanbrian, du bist ein zwitter...
    at least i can afford what i can, and have no need to OC...
    mods, plz close this b4 i loose it.
  13. p4nz3rm4d said:
    thanx everyone!
    as for americanbrian, go and suck on a big mac you patriotic imbecile.

I will wait for IB then choose...

Really???? He probably gave you the best response out of everyone, then you call him an imbecile. You're an idiot!
  14. ^^ don't get me wrong, I have money too (own my house, have car and motorcycle, 50" plasma etc. I want for nothing). I also have prudence and children and know not to spunk it all on "prestige" products.

And I am not a hermaphrodite, I am a man with a wife, something you probably never will be.

I say this because though it may be easy to impress the ladies with your fat wad (if you don't spunk it all over) nobody in this day and age can bring themselves to truly love NAZI's like you (see what I did there with casual racial insults, aren't I clever). Your relationships always end up "on the Fritz" Badoom boom.

Panzermad, you really are setting yourself up for some racial profiling there.
  15. IB does not crush SB by any means....SB overclocks better then IB and will actually out perform IB when oc'd. Yes it out performs in regular test but only marginally. Is it worth the money? No, unless you really want to wait and want to pay the price premium when it comes out. Plus plan on it going out of stock quickly. Add 2-3 more weeks for waiting.

But sure if you can wait and can pay the price go with IB, but it isn't that great omfg CPU everyone makes it out to be. I'd save that money for Haswell in a year. Anyone who had a i5 2500k is waiting for haswell unless they got money to burn. Also if you read the articles most of the gains from IB is by having a z77 mobo and not the CPU itself. I recommend a z77 mobo paired with i7 2600k.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4621/intel_ivy_bridge_overclocking_with_the_core_i7_3770k_and_core_i5_3570k_cpus/index.html

Go for the 680...unless you just love amd. Your paying $50 more for less performance.
  16. thanks Hotthree for the insight... but i think ill wait for IB just to be sure.

As for americanbrian.
    Who said i was Nazi or even agreed with that ideology?( see how i turned that round, aren't i clever? )

BTW, I have a true love for computers so i dont bargain hunt, instead i just go for the best...

to those who are interested, im planning on waiting for the i7-3770... it might only be a small performance bump, but i dont feel like having inferior technology...any comments?
  17. p4nz3rm4d said:
    thanks Hotthree for the insight... but i think ill wait for IB just to be sure.

As for americanbrian.
    Who said i was Nazi or even agreed with that ideology?( see how i turned that round, aren't i clever? )

BTW, I have a true love for computers so i dont bargain hunt, instead i just go for the best...

to those who are interested, im planning on waiting for the i7-3770... it might only be a small performance bump, but i dont feel like having inferior technology...any comments?

They should come out at the same time. Since you just want performance and do not care about price go for it. I am more of a budget builder I go for price/performance. I do not see how by going with the 3770 would be having inferior tech unless your still about SB here.

IB will be a fine CPU it just will not be as revolutionary as SB was when it was released. I hope AMD responds well with piledriver so Intel has to step up its game for haswell.
  18. Firstly by refering to nazi-ism as an "ideology" you clearly must have some sympathy with their ideas of FACIST GENOCIDE. You don't call it for what it is a perfect blend of evil and stupidity, no ideology.

Also the PANZER (l33t speaked in your name) was the key instrument of the Nazi's Blitzkreig tactics to kill millions of innocent people towards their goal of world domination.

By being "mad" for panzers you mark yourself out as have positive thoughts towards instruments of evil. Thats why even if in fact you are not a "nazi" you sympathise or in some way affiliate yourself with them.

Even the manner of your rebuttal is like "you can't know or prove it" which is not even a denial. So go to hell you evil nazi scum bastard.

Just know whose gold teeth paved the way for your exorbitantly priced pc's.
  19. hotthree said:
    IB does not crush SB by any means....SB overclocks better then IB and will actually out perform IB when oc'd.

Sorry to dissapoint you but some people disagree with you.
    source: Ivy Bridge 7 GHz Rips Through Pi
    As you can see SandyBridge record is 6Ghz. Ivy bridge already reached 7Ghz... Now which overclocks best???

Also for people that dont know, Sandybridge unlock multiplier reaches x57. Ivybridge is x63.

Cheers :).

edit:
  20. @ Memnarchon - nice find!!! i spent my whole day looking for stuff like this...
    so whose in favor of my choice of the i7-3770?
  21. p4nz3rm4d said:
    @ Memnarchon - nice find!!! i spent my whole day looking for stuff like this...
    so whose in favor of my choice of the i7-3770?

Thanks, I just always want to see the truth surfaces and not buried to the ground.

Well with Z77 mobos already available in a week (some stores have already list them for buying), and the prossecor three and a half weeks away, I see no reason why to take the i7 2600K (or 2700K) and not wait and take the i7 3770K for the (more or less) same price.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i7 Product