Motherboard/CPU compatability

S0larflare

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hi, hope this is the right forum, apologies if not.

I have a laptop that is a few years old now, I have upgraded the ram from 1 to 4 gb, but so far that's all. I decided to have a look at what else I could upgrade but am having problems working out the specifications of the motherboard and what CPU's (and possibly GPU's) would be compatable. I have ran CPU-Z and this is what I got:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7084/mobop.jpg

(Sorry I don't seem to be able to post the picture itself, I assume it is due to me being new)

But I'm struggling to find what I'm after, and wouldn't want to waste money on something to find out it's not compatible.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if I could upgrade this, and whether it would be worth it? I'm not after a miraculous change akin to a new machine by any means, however I would be more than happy if I could play some games, even on low settings, that are say 4-10 years old sort of thing, nothing excessive.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help. :)

LOL, I knew that... that's what happens when you post before bed at 2am. Here's where I'm at, the socket for your CPU is 478, the chipset is SIS 672, north bridge is 968. When I try to find support info for the north bridge, I get socket 775 (desktop) motherboard info only - searching through socket 478 info, I find no chipset/northbridge combos that match yours. Here's what CPU world has to say about finding compatible CPU upgrade... along the lines I'm trying to work but getting nowhere.
"To determine the fastest processor for your computer you will need to know your system brand and model for branded computers like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc, or make and model of motherboard in your computer.

If you have branded system then search first on manufacturer's website, and then on internet for "<brand> <model> CPU upgrade" or "<brand> <model> processor upgrade" (without quotes). For example, if you have Dell Dimension 4700 then search for:

Dell Dimension 4700 CPU upgrade

If you can't locate information on your branded computer, or if you have a generic or a custom built computer, determine make and model of your motherboard, and then search for it. Information on retail motherboards is usually available on manufacturer's websites, and may be available on CPU-Upgrade.com. Information on OEM motherboards (motherboards used in branded computers) is usually scarce, so be prepared to read numerous forum threads all over the net. (where you are - sic)
If you can't find processor upgrade information for your system or motherboard then try to e-mail your system or motherboard manufacturer. Don't keep your hopes high as more often than not they do not provide upgrade information.
If, at this point, you still can't find what CPUs are compatible with your system, then your only option is to guess what processors may be supported by your socket 478 motherboard. Proceed only if you're willing to take a risk, because the processor you will buy may not work in your board. To see what processors your motherboard or system may support use CPU-Z or similar program to determine motherboard chipset, and then search for chipset name. You may not always find a list of CPUs compatible with the chipset, but you will likely find what Front Side Bus frequencies are supported, and what processors are supported by other motherboards with the same chipset. This should give you an idea of what to upgrade to.
If you still don't know what processors are supported by your motherboard or computer then here some rules, based on your current CPU, that will tell you what processors may be compatible with your computer. The first two columns should match core name and FSB of your processor, and the third column shows the fastest compatible processor: (removed to avoid confusion - sic)

Please note that, while these rules are valid in many cases, they do not guarantee that your socket 478 motherboard will support recommended processors. Upgrade at your own risk.

For upgrade information for ASUS, DFI, ECS, Gigabyte Technology, Jetway, MSI, PC Chips and a few other motherboard brands of motherboards please check CPU-Upgrade motherboard database." found here http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20478%20(mPGA478B).html
I checked the database and got nowhere, perhaps e-mailing PB might yield results

Still looking all options/searches not quite exhausted (but getting close)