Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 upgrade on P5N-E SLI

February 11, 2013 7:46:51 PM

Help! I cannot boot consistently after power down (or sleep mode).

I have a Asus P5N-E SLI with the following setup:

Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz
4 Mbs Corsair XMS2 DRR2 memory
EVGA GeForce 8500 GT video card

I was running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. The system is 4 to 5 years old and was starting to get a little slow. I decided that a clean upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit might breath a little life into it; and I couldn't beat the price.

After the clean install of Windows 8 Pro 64-bit everything seem to work great, but when the PC went into sleep mode it would not wake up. Then it started to hang on booting with no video output.

I got to the Windows 8 support guys on the phone and we went through a few things and the tech wanted to remote into my PC. On the reboot, I'm seeing nothing on the screen, but the tech says he is on my PC and sees everything running. He told me I needed a new video card.

Changing video cards seem to make it more stable, but if the PC went to sleep I would hang again. I read some things that made a BIOS update make sense, so I updated the BIOS to the latest one for this MB (1406).

Where I am now. I can run my old or new video card (that wasn't the problem I guess) and as long as I keep the PC running, Windows 8 seems fine. If it goes to sleep or I power down, it fails to boot most times and usually gets stuck in a re-boot loop requiring a hard power switch turn-off. I wait and try turning it on a few times and finally it boots and runs fine.

Any ideas on how a make it stable? I would love sleep-mode to work in the best case, but it should at least boot after a power off.

!