jafersmash

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Ok, so I built a computer with specs below. The problem is I think the motherboard or the CPU is possibly faulty. However I have not totally ruled out the hard Drive.
The main error occurs when I've had windows 7 64 bit open for 5 -30 minutes approx. the computer will freeze, become unresponsive to any input devices ( even c + a + delete). Requiring a restart before it becomes responsive. There is also an issue in boot where the bios with launch then the computer will restart as a loop. This happens any time after I have to turn the power off by holding the button, which is every time it freezes. There is no real one act that will freeze the computer, it seems to happen randomly.

Running from memory sorry:
I7 3820
Gtx 560
1.5tb wd black
16 gb ram
600 w psu
Windows 7 home 64 bit
Cd drive
Gigabyte ud3 motherboard

if this is the same mb looks like there been some bios bug fixes.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#bios
one thing to check is that you have good bonding of thermal paste and that the cpu heat sink on right.
most mb and cpu have built in throttling and over heat protection.
i downlaod cpu-z and see what the mb set your ram timming and voltage as. sometime with all slots filled on a mb you have to bunp up the ram voltage a few percents. alos with new ram what profile is the mb loading the stock speed or xmp profile??

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Check all plugs and connections. Unplug each add on device, cd drive, fans,etc. Don't disconnect the CPU cooler. Remove all the ram but 1 stick (in the slot designated by your mobo book). If you had on-board video I'd say remove the GPU, also but you can't. Re-boot and see what happens. If it doesn't freeze shut down and add another stick of ram and one device and re-boot again. Keep repeating until all devices are back in. Run memtest86 like suggested.

jafersmash

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I've run memtest, it passed. I've also taken the ram chips out 1 by 1 and it still does it.

I also just checked all the cable connections.

I think it is the motherboard, HDD or the CPU because those three I can't eliminate. Unfortunately I don't have a spare hard drive anywhere.

Exact model of my mother board is Gigabyte X79-UD3.

Exact model of my CPU is Intel Core i7 - 3820

K3v1n

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
could be the motherboard, I recently had the same kinda problems so I just ordered a new one. if you have a second pc try testing your ram, hdd, psu, and gpu in it

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Did you:
Try to boot from a flash drive only? (disconnected HDD)
Make sure your GPU is in the furthest slot from the CPU? (proper slot when using 1 GPU card only)
Go over all your Bios settings? (Ram voltage, HDD/raid settings, etc.)
Format your HDD and reinstall windows? (I'd try this before dumping the mobo/cpu/hdd)

Of course it could be your mobo or your CPU or both.
The least likely option would be the CPU. They rarely arrive DOA. Now if you have bent pins or thermal paste in the socket/pins that's another story. I assume you checked for that?
You'll know if it's your HDD by booting (to Bios) from your USB flash drive and staying in there for longer than the 30 minutes you are normally experiencing before a freeze. If it only happens in windows then my guess is that windows is where your problem is.

jafersmash

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
OK the issue has been resolved. The issue was a compatibility issue with something on the motherboard.
The issue was resolved after updating the BIOS to the newest version.
It wasn't the hardware issue I thought it would be.

jafersmash

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

I don't believe I said i updated without the CPU in the computer.
I updated the bios through the use of a usb while the CPU was still in the computer.