NZXT Phantom Sleep Problem

hopkiller

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Recently I bought a new case and moved my build into, everything went perfectly and it booted up no problem. I thought everything was perfect until I put the computer into sleep.

It went to sleep but the problem is when I try to wake it back up, when I turn back on the power the computer case fans spin up but their is no video on the screen. So after holding the power button it shuts down. When I turn it back on the bios screen appears it loads past that and goes to resume windows.

I never had this problem with my old case I would put it into sleep then later hit the power button and it powered right up to resume windows no bios or any of that, what could cause this.

Core i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
8GB DDR3 1333
ATI HD 5850
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
NZXT Phantom
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Anyone else hear of this with this case?

A dying PSU is the biggest cause of sleep problems.

The second biggest cause is probably excessive amounts of USB stuff attached to the PC.

There is a line called +5vsb in the PC that keeps power going to things when the system is in sleep mode. All the 12v, 5v, 3.3v, and other lines shut down completely during this state.

The +5vsb line only provides enough power to keep devices alive that need to be powered when the computer isn't awake and devices needed to wake it up.

The power on this line in general is not high. Something less than 3a for a total of 15w continuous power. That is a pretty slim amount of juice to share among multiple USB things.

If the thing trying to wake the computer up isn't receiving enough juice, it won't be able to send out the wake up request.

If you have a lot of USB things attached, you might want to try removing the non essential ones to see if that changes anything.

However, if you don't have anything extra plugged in, it may just be that your PSU in general isn't up to the task of powering the old system and all the bells and whistles in the new case.

If you say the maker, model, and approximate age of the PSU, it would help me to get a better idea of which of these things is most likely to be the one you are experiencing.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
^ Useful steps to follow! I'd also try some of this first just to make sure it's not a PSU issue. Also, don't blame your case :) Unless you connected something really wrong, of course. Try the same thing without any front panel USBs and fan controller power connected? (basically, only power and reboot switches being the only thing connected from your case to the mainboard and the PSU)

hopkiller

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I will look at this but the reason I am saying this, I didn't have this problem like 10 min ago before I switch to the Phantom, from my antec 900 and that had a fair amount plugged into usb, while the phantom has nothing.

Its seems like when I try to to bring it out of sleep by pressing the power button it doesn't actually start up the motherboard, it just powers the fans, so I have to hold it to turn off then it will resume from sleep.

It seems like its not sending the right signal to the motherboard.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Power button doesn't send signals. All it does is shorting two pins on it.

Again, try to do it with only power and reset switches connected. Maybe some grounding is malfunctioning or something...

Are you sure that you plugged in all the cords right that lead from the case to the motherboard?

The ones that say PWR_BTN on them should go to the place on the motherboard that says that, and so on. If you get things switched around then it could keep it from working.

You could shove everything back in the Antec 900 and see if sleep mode still works right in that.

It doesn't seem like a case difference would be able to change this assuming absolutely equal setups.

However, if you somehow had, say, 2 things plugged into USB 1.0 ports on the 900 and they are plugged into 2.0 ports on the Phantom then the added draw from the 2.0s could cause such a thing if the +5vsb was stretched to the limit or something.

If the power button works to turn the computer on then I would have a tough time believing that it can't cause a sleep wake up event if it is configured to do so.