High CPU usage

Johnthomas1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I just upgraded the memory on my Dell 4600 desktop and nticed thet the free space did not increase. Prior to the upgrade, the free space was at 49 %...this is the same aftre the upgrade.
My PC has Norton 360 virus protection and it appeared that this is using more space than the other virus protection.

How do increase CPU efficency?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
upgrading your ram will affect the physical memory statistic if you go to your task manager (ctrl alt delete)

this is where programs are loaded into to run.

your free space under "my computer" is your hard drive, this is where your programs are before they are loaded into your "physical memory."

hope that makes sense

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Don't beat yourself up over the confusion of memory vs. storage, almost everyone makes it. I've had to tell my mother more than a thousand times that she does not install programs to memory, and that adding more memory will not give her more space. She's unbelievably stubborn and refuses to admit she might be wrong about anything, ever, and went ahead and upgraded her memory anyway. Called me up afterward to ask exactly the same question you did.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I think he means the usage meter for memory....So if you upgraded from 4Gb to 8Gb the usage should have halved but it did not I assume...So it could be that one of the sticks is not working or you bought 4 Gb instead of 8

That might be what he means, but where does high cpu usage come into play?

Maybe he has a 32bit OS?

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

lol that is most likely the case.
32 bit OS will only recognize up to 3.2GB I think
...so amigo you need to upgrade your windows 7 to 64bit version.