Sign in with
Your question

How and how much to ship a desktop computer (sold on ebay)?

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2011 4:44:49 AM

So, I sold an old desktop computer today on eBay for $150.

I've been searching all over the web to get an idea of the shipping prices I will have to pay, and how I should pack the computer. I haven't found anything conclusive.

My questions are, how much does it typically cost to ship a desktop computer (just the computer, no monitor), and how should I go about packing it up? Would it be okay if I just wrapped the computer around with bubble wrap a few times, and cushioned it in the box with paper, or do I need to take additional steps to ensure it's safe arrival to my buyer?

December 28, 2011 5:06:07 AM

I have sold 100+ computers on Ebay.

You can take it to a ups store and they will pack it for you.

You can get a box big enough for it and use lots of padding and send it with UPS, FedEx, or USPS.

Make sure to buy insurance, and a tracking number.

If you dont pack it good the insurance wont cover it if it breaks.

If it breaks the buyer will issue a dispute and Paypal will give their money back no matter what you say. Paypal always sides with the buyer.

Usually mid towers cost around $40-$45 for shipping costs for box, peanuts, and shipping.
m
l
December 28, 2011 5:08:57 AM

Make sure all the drive cages are secure. Some snap into place and aren't screwed or welded. I've seen them come off during shipping and you end up with a hard drive in a cage bouncing all over the insides during shipping. Next, obviously use at much padding/bubble wrap/newpaper or whatever as you can. With regard to cost. I've paid as little as $35 and as much as $80. Depends on weight and the period of time to deliver.

Don't use the postal service. They are all a bunch of f***ing honey badgers and don't care. Use UPS or Fedex.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 5:28:46 AM

Nice, you sell computer for 150 and paying 80 (more than half) for sending it??? Or is it buyer who pays for it?
m
l
July 24, 2013 6:16:06 PM

daship said:
I have sold 100+ computers on Ebay.

You can take it to a ups store and they will pack it for you.

You can get a box big enough for it and use lots of padding and send it with UPS, FedEx, or USPS.

Make sure to buy insurance, and a tracking number.

If you dont pack it good the insurance wont cover it if it breaks.

If it breaks the buyer will issue a dispute and Paypal will give their money back no matter what you say. Paypal always sides with the buyer.

Usually mid towers cost around $40-$45 for shipping costs for box, peanuts, and shipping.

What kind of malfunction constitutes a refund? is there a statue of limitations? If the computer works for a month or two and starts to go haywire is the seller still held responsible?
m
l
July 24, 2013 6:31:37 PM

My Other question, if the computer is dead on Arrival due to some mishandling by the shipping company, what is the process of determining the shipping corporation is at fault
m
l
December 12, 2013 11:28:57 AM

I know this is late but my answer is, If u use ur own box and pack it with plastic bags and news paper around you house. Shipping all by itself costs $30-$40
m
l
!