How and how much to ship a desktop computer (sold on ebay)?

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
So, I sold an old desktop computer today on eBay for $150.

I've been searching all over the web to get an idea of the shipping prices I will have to pay, and how I should pack the computer. I haven't found anything conclusive.

My questions are, how much does it typically cost to ship a desktop computer (just the computer, no monitor), and how should I go about packing it up? Would it be okay if I just wrapped the computer around with bubble wrap a few times, and cushioned it in the box with paper, or do I need to take additional steps to ensure it's safe arrival to my buyer?

daship

Distinguished
I have sold 100+ computers on Ebay.

You can take it to a ups store and they will pack it for you.

You can get a box big enough for it and use lots of padding and send it with UPS, FedEx, or USPS.

Make sure to buy insurance, and a tracking number.

If you dont pack it good the insurance wont cover it if it breaks.

If it breaks the buyer will issue a dispute and Paypal will give their money back no matter what you say. Paypal always sides with the buyer.

Usually mid towers cost around $40-$45 for shipping costs for box, peanuts, and shipping.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Make sure all the drive cages are secure. Some snap into place and aren't screwed or welded. I've seen them come off during shipping and you end up with a hard drive in a cage bouncing all over the insides during shipping. Next, obviously use at much padding/bubble wrap/newpaper or whatever as you can. With regard to cost. I've paid as little as $35 and as much as $80. Depends on weight and the period of time to deliver.

Don't use the postal service. They are all a bunch of f***ing honey badgers and don't care. Use UPS or Fedex.

Good luck!

Mitrovah

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

What kind of malfunction constitutes a refund? is there a statue of limitations? If the computer works for a month or two and starts to go haywire is the seller still held responsible?

Mitrovah

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
My Other question, if the computer is dead on Arrival due to some mishandling by the shipping company, what is the process of determining the shipping corporation is at fault

Nonpossible

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2015

I know your post is really old but I'm wondering where I can but plastic bubblewrap and a huge box. Would Home Depot have that?