Opinions on RAM brands?

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Everyone,

Thinking I am going to upgrade to 16gb of ram. Anyone have any suggestions as to good brands, prices, specific sticks, etc.

Bit of info: I do play games on my PC but nothing too strenuous (mostly just League of Legends if familiar). Some web browsing and other regular activities. A small bit of video editing.

Let me hear what you guys have in mind. Thanks!

Edit: Looking at this right now, any good? (Price matched for $81.29)

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66354&vpn=CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10&manufacture=Others

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply!

Forgot, I should probably include my PC specs.

-Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
-Crosshair IV Formula Asus Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.21 GHz
-Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DD3 Ram
-Two AMD Radeon HD 6950s 2gb
-Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System
-XFX 850W Black Edition Single Rail Semi Modular ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX PSU 80Plus Silver
-Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB HDD (Primary Drive)
-Seagate Barracuda 3gb HDD (Secondary Drive)
-Azza Case

If anything else is required, feel free to ask! Otherwise, keep the opinions coming :)

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. I would have looked into that before I ordered for sure. Is there any real difference between 2x8gb and 4x4gb?

Just my two cents...

I agree that the corsair vengeance kit is a great deal for the price. I prefer the quality of Kingston's RAM, which can be gotten on sale for great prices as well.

With that processor, 1600MHz RAM is the way to go. No point getting faster than that unless you are planning on OCing.

It is true what others have said, you will need a 4x4GB kit. In regards to your question of what's the difference in performance, there is none.

One last bit of info... If what you said in your opening post is true. Upgrading to 16GB of RAM will give you absolutely no performance increase. I am willing to guess that even while editing you are only addressing 5 or 6GB at the most.

JayRich

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Yeah , I dont do any OCing as I think it is overly unneccesary for me. As for my editing, it's just doing a little work in sony vegas, cutting clips and making youtube vids. So you don't think there will be enough difference between 8gb and 16gb to warrant me paying twice as much? Lastly, thanks for the opinion on brands! :)

I honestly don't think it will make any difference at all. If you are concerned about it open a project and then open the task manager. If you go to the performance tab it will show you how much RAM you are using. If you are using more than 85 or 90% then you will see a very slight difference when upgrading, but more than likely it will not be noticeable. If you are using less than that, there is no reason to spend the money.