Most of a new build (I'm using the sticky)

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hey all!
My cpu/mobo/power supply have bitten the dust thanks to a power surge (I think) So I am looking at getting a new build based on the 1155 or the am3+ depending on what you guys think.
So I need a new cpu, psu, mobo and ram.
I'll be keeping my gtx 470 and antec 900.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I have an idea of what will get me the best the bang for my buck. (I'm on holidays like allot of people are and would like to get some gaming done before work goes back)

Budget Range: $700-$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I use my pc primarily for gaming rts, rpg's and fps (mostly starcraft 2 which uses up cpu power when there's allot happening on the screen, and I would like that to run as smooth as possible as I play competitively)
Other than that I just browse the net and watch movies...Nothing serious like encoding or overclocking)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, case, monitor, speakers optical drive and hdd (but if anyone can put an ssd in there for the budget that would be great)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pccasegear.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: I would like an asus mobo (it needs to be PCIe 3.0 ready i think for my 7970 upgrade), corsair modular (preferably) psu, whatever for the ram, the cpu brand is where I really need the opinions. I know that amd just came out with the am3+ with the fx chips; but is it any better than the 1155 chips for what I want in terms of price to performance ratio?

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: Definitely not. I've had nothing but trouble with that. I'll just be getting single core gpu's from this point on

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Additional Comments: I used to have two gtx 470's in sli, but will only be running one until the 7970 comes out. So I don't think I'll be needing a very powerful psu for that? the psu has to be quality though, as I had trouble with my silverstone and that brand is supposed to be good.
Also, I would like this pc to give me 18 to 24 months of quality gaming with out the need to overclock or upgrade if possible (other than the new amd card) Anyway. Looking forward to reading your comments :)

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
AMD may give you the best bang for the buck, and overclocking wise, if you get a decent cooler, an X6 1090t or 1100t will set you back $200 or less while giving you 6 cores at 4.0 ghz or higher. The best part is that you are just changing a multiplier, so the overclock couldn't be any easier.

A good AM3+ board will give you a little bit of future proofing if you decide to upgrade later and you only have to buy memory in pairs. In addition, AMD cpu's aren't usually memory choked so you don't have to buy super expensive dimms to get good performance.

So far we're up to $400 if you buy the nicest Motherboard out there. That leaves you plenty of money for ram, a good PSU, a good cooler, and maybe a SSD as a boot drive.

Others may chime in, bulldozer is a joke and doesn't really outperform the much less expensive Phenoms. I'd rather have 6 REAL cores than 8 integer units and 4 floating point units.

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

I just checked out the primary online vendors in Australia and unfortunately the phenom series appears to be discontinued :(