Need help choosing MB

Ghost Ookami

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
Hey all, I'm preparing to upgrade 3 parts on my pc, CPU/Motherboard/RAM. And I'm doing my best to get parts that work well together, but this is becoming quite the issue. This will be my first pc build, though I'm no stranger to swapping out hardware, I've just never done it in such large scale.

I know for sure I will be getting this CPU - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

And for quite some time I was planning on getting this MB: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

But heres where I run into problems, I'm not an expert in MB's, so choosing one is becoming quite a challenge, this MB seemed to be the perfect fit for me, high ratings, rated #1 by customers, seems great right? Well while reading some of the feedback I see quite a few people having issues with the AMD3+ FX8350 (the exact cpu i plan on getting). They say it throttles the speed from 4.0 down to about 3.4-3.6, So that worries me, GIGABYTE aparently has no way of fixing it either according to reviews. I would hate to buy a nice shiny new CPU only to not be able to use it to its full power (even though it would be massively better than my 2.66ghz duo core im currently using).

I started to look around the net trying to find out what MB brands people seem to get the best quality off of, from what I've read people seem to like ASUS the best. I'm just having a hard time coming up with a MB that will support the CPU without issue, and being that I am no expert in MB's its hard for me to figure out what to look for. I know to look for things like how much memory it supports, onboard audio, what kind of GPU slots it has ect, but its hard to tell a good MB from a bad one when there are 100 different kinds that all do almost the same things with some slight variences.

So who here is an authority on this type of stuff. I could really use some knowledge if you guys have the time (this might be a semi long thread). Also, some things to keep in mind, I want to buy my parts from Newegg, and I would like the MB to cost less than 140$.