[HELP] First Build - $1400 Gaming/Development PC

SwDl

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to build a PC for development and gaming. This is my first build, so there are some areas I don't feel comfortable in. After reading some intros, tutorials, and guides, I feel like I have an okay grasp, but I would like the advice of others. I saw this:

A somewhat common worst-case scenario for first-time builders is to spend hundreds of dollars in parts, only to find that some won’t fit together. Less common is when parts that fit together don't work together. But the most frequent problem new builders face is an inappropriate component selection that limits the performance of their high-priced build, making it feel like a less-expensive machine. We'll try to help you avoid that awkward moment, when you realize this board won't fit into that enclosure.

and these are the exact problems I'm trying to avoid. I would really appreciate it if you guys could let me know if my parts do/don't fit together, work together, and don't limit each other. Also, if there are any suggestions about switch parts to save money without jeopardizing performance, those will be listened to as well.

Approximate Purchase Date:
Within two weeks

Budget Range:
$1200-$1400 after rebates (If I'm spending way too much, please let me know. I know you can't really future proof and parts become outdated fast, but I do want something that will last)

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, Development, Movies, Web browsing

Parts Not Required:
Operating System - I already have Windows 7 Professional x64

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
www.newegg.com

United States

Parts Preferences:
No preferences, but I tend to lean toward well known companies.

Overclocking:
No

SLI or Crossfire:
Possibly SLI, but definitely not right away

Monitor Resolution:
1600x900

Additional Comments:
Obviously a quiet PC is preferred. My main focus is that the machine lasts a few years.

Parts:

Motherboard
Intel BOXDZ68BC LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

SSD (for programs and OS)
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD (for files and data)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM (I plan on getting two of these)
PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333

GPU
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Case (comes free with the Samsung Spinpoint HDD -- let me know if I should purchase a different one instead)
Antec TWO HUNDRED S Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Optical Drive
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Monitor
Hanns·G HZ201DPB Black 20" 5ms WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000:1 (1,000:1), VESA Compatible

Mouse
RAZER DeathAdder Precision Optical Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared Sensor

Keyboard
RAZER Black Wired BlackWidow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

I don't know if I need additional fans/heatsinks, and if so, which to get. As I said, I'm a beginner and this is my first build, so sorry if I did something stupid. :/ I just want to avoid the problems above.

Thank you so much for the help!

If you aren't overclocking then you shouldn't get a CPU intended for overclocking. That motherboard is more than twice what you should be paying if you won't overclock. That motherboard is for getting the absolute highest performance out of your CPU and is priced accordingly.

If you won't be overclocking then a decent H67 chipset motherboard is your best option.

The non-overclocking version of the i7-2600K would be the i7-2600, it's about $10-20 cheaper.

You could get a good H67 motherboard for under $100.

Your high budget is really what you would expect for a very highly overclocked machine with obscene graphics and dozens of gigabytes of SSD storage. If you won't be overclocking then you can cut your budget down several hundred dollars.

Buying that motherboard won't make your computer faster if you don't use it's incredible overclocking potential and the same goes for the CPU.

For SLI you would be better off getting a higher wattage PSU, something around 700-800 watts. Also, there is no point in getting SLIed video cards if you don't get a higher resolution monitor because you can't see a difference between the huge frame rates you can easily get on even cheaper video cards at only 1600x900.