Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 Ti 2GB - Possible driver problem and crashing on Win7 64bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2011 12:30:31 PM

Good morning guys

Yesterday I did a fresh install of a brand new computer and it was working fine. All of a sudden (after ~5 hours of use), my system froze and the video went all crazy (actual photo from my monitor):

In this first freeze, the computer did not respond to anything for like 2 minutes, and then I rebooted it. The POST and the EFI display fine, then in the Welcome Screen the system crashes again, but now after 1 min it restarts.

To isolate the problem source, I ran a series of tests:

• Ran the computer on Safe Mode. It ran nicely.

• Then I turned iGPU on and plugged my computer to the onboard port. Ran nicely again (although the max res I could get is 1280x1024, which looks horrible on my 1600x1050 monitor).

•Then I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers and let Windows install its default drivers for my GPU. It ran nicely once again.

This makes me think the problem is exclusively driver-related (i had installed Nvidia drivers 266.58, 275.33 and 285.62 and none worked). Funny is, even with the drivers installed EVGA Precision says it has detected no hardware and Virtu says it can't turn on.

My system configuration is this:

EVGA GTX560Ti 2Gb
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Samsung SyncMaster 2233

Intel i7 2600k @4.0Ghz
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
WD Caviar Green 2Tb
Corsair Force 3 90GB
Corsair HX650
Thermaltake Dokker Lite
3x Aerocool Shark Blue
2x Cooler Master Excalibur
Zalman CNPS 9900MAX

Although I had overclocked my CPU, I never touched my video clocks. System and drivers (including the Nvidia ones) are installed on my SSD and everything else on the HDD.

Any clue on what's going on and what can I do to solve this thing?
a c 172 Î Nvidia
October 30, 2011 12:35:59 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS and running it without the OC on the CPU?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
October 30, 2011 1:05:34 PM

I have not heard of any problems or experienced any issues with my 560ti and the driver in Win7, although they are the 1gig cards. I would also suggest the problem lies more likely in your overclock settings.
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2011 1:21:36 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried resetting the CMOS and running it without the OC on the CPU?

I indeed reverted my CPU overclock to default settings to no gain, and clearing the CMOS made my VGA POST LED turn on. Now my card is rendered totally useless for it won't display even the EFI.

Thanks for the help. Anyone else has a guess on what's going on?
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:54:38 PM

Updates on the problem:

• After resetting the CMOS and removing/replacing the card like 10 times, I got to have the VGA POSTing again and the mobo LED does not light anymore.

• I ran Driver Sweeper and Revo Uninstaller to wipe away everything, then reinstalled only the graphics drivers (without PhysX, 3d vision and Audio drivers) and... no success. Windows default drivers still work though.

• After installing the Intel Graphics Adapter, my iGPU is able to display my monitor's native resolution.

I have almost no doubt at all that the problem is driver-related. Can there be any problem for my card being a 2GB one?

Thanks
m
l
October 30, 2011 10:47:00 PM

One more update to the problem:

After uninstalling all the drivers, I tried using the computer thru Virtu. CPU-Z now recognizes the 560Ti clock and memory as being from the Graphics 3000, and vice versa.

is there any way to be sure everything is working fine now?
m
l
November 1, 2011 9:00:17 AM

Any help, guys?
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:36:08 AM

Quote:
what exactly are you saying, can you elaborate.?
more or less, tell me where you are right now, what is the current status of the unit.?

One picture is worth 1000 threads:

The computer is running fine now, with the monitor plugged into my iGPU port and still running Virtu. I haven't taxed the graphics out yet to see if I am really using my GTX or not.
m
l
November 6, 2011 4:32:21 PM

Updates on the problem once again.

After formatting, clean installing everything, reverting drivers, downclocking the card and everything, nothing worked on definitive.

Sometimes it worked right away, sometimes after a single reboot, but often i had to change back to the iGPU. Uninstalling Realtek Audio drivers made it work for a while, then disabling the Driver Signing worked for a while, then changing the TDR parameters on the registry also worked for a couple of boots but in the end it was all bad again.

Running Cinebench with Virtu enabled gave me a 13 fps mark which is pretty bad, and checking the Virtu Control Panel one can see it does not support Cinebench and not any application I use (CAD). Did not run Tropics though.

So, I decided to move the board from the PCIE 2.0 x16 (blue) to the x8 (grey) one.

To my surprise it's working a charm! I rebooted like 20 times and did not have a single hang yet. Here's prints from GPU-Z, taken right now as I'm writing this post - do not mind the 32°C idle temperature, I live in Brazil and the room temperature is now ~26°C:

As its running @x8, I decided to run Cinebench and 3dMark (both 11 and Vantage) to see the card performance under load.

At Cinebench I got a stable (10 times) 63.77 FPS in that car chase scene and the temps never went higher than 42°C (I've changed the fan settings on Precision to make it respond almost linearly to the workload).

At 3dMark 11, which ran on the Benchmark only/Performance Settings/Centered (my monitor is a 1050p one), I got a P4718 score. You might see on the linked report that my CPU has been OCed to 4.4Ghz. Temps topped at 57°C at 75% fan.

With 3dMark Vantage, Performance Preset, i got a P19796 score and temperatures topped at 61°C @75% fan.

3d Vision also works fine, though I haven't run any bench on that.

As everything appeared to be normal with those three tests, I tried plugging the card back to the main PCIE blue slot. Once again everything crashed. After switching back to the x8 slot, everything is working properly and the benchmark results were pretty much the same.

Can I say everything is working as it should right now? And what the hell might be causing the crash on the x16 slot? Maybe I should RMA the board, which is brand new and with the newest stuff installed.

Thank you all for the responses!
m
l
November 7, 2011 7:37:17 AM

Quote:
I'd RMA that motherboard..

Thanks for the responses. But would I see any performance gain from plugging the board to the x16 slot? Because as it seems, everything is running good right now.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:23:23 AM

Fine then malmental. I'll contact the vendor and see if I can have a replacement soon - when the new board arrives I post news on the problem here.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:11:07 AM

Quote:
sorry bro.
I want something 100% functional especially if I paid retail price for it.
wouldn't you.
one last thing, did you update the BIOS.?

I did, to no help.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:18:54 PM

Quote:
1.) clean the pci x16 lane with a good cloth and compressed air, alcohol on cloth.?
2.) tried a different card in that pci x 16 slot.?
3.) reset cmos, BIOS.?
4.) numerous driver installs including drive sweeper
5.) reformat of HDD with fresh install of windows.?
6.) determine it only runs in second pci x18 slot.?

I can't think of anything else but to return board..

so try another card in the x16 slot.
last resort is to reformat..

* that's a Z68 board correct.?
in the BIOS what options does it give you for video and pci lane management.?

Once again I thank you for your prompt help. About your checklist, lets see:

1) The board was brand out of the box when it started giving trouble, but will try that.

2) Will try that. Will lend a computer from a friend and see if it works, both with the video card on another MB and another video in my MB.

5) I reformatted the computer a lot of times, installing the drivers and other utilities in a myriad of combinations. If I install the Nvidia drivers first it will work... until I decide to install anything else. Never tried installing the video drivers and rebooting the computer 20 times for stability though.

About the BIOS options, here is a page with pretty much everything the UEFI has to offer us:
m
l
November 7, 2011 3:29:10 PM

What bothers me most is that even if it's really a motherboard problem, it only happens when the Nvidia drivers are installed. When Windows Standard VGA Driver Adapter is working I haven't any startup problem.
m
l
November 7, 2011 3:47:59 PM

Quote:
interesting, what nVidia drivers are you installing.?

Pretty much everyone from 266.66 to 285.62. All of them throw the same problems.
m
l
November 14, 2011 3:29:37 PM

More confusion thrown on the issue.

I've plugged in a Quadro FX380 into the PCIE x16 slot. And it worked damn well - without even needing to uninstall the same drivers that make my computer crash.

My Windows now crashes with a black screen, then switches to the pink screen mentioned in the first post, then shows a black screen with a very dim Start Menu button and the clock, then a blue screen with white artifacts, then a black screen with white artifacts. I'll post a video of it if asked. If I reboot the computer a considerable number of times, though, I can get it to work - but if I try to run 3dMark for example it crashes again to a black screen.

I've been praying for a BSOD (wait, who the hell prays for a BSOD?) to show me something to begin my investigation with. After a number of trials, i finally got this:

I've tried a number of TDR registry modifications, from increasing the timeout to changing the level. Nothing works.

Please, any light on that?
m
l
November 14, 2011 3:45:03 PM

Quote:
OK.
can we try something once more or a little drastic before you start sending back hardware.?

remove all drives but leave the SSD.
then reformat and install clean win 7 64-bit.
make sure you wipe SSD clean before install.
install 560 Ti in the first x16 slot and then proceed with install of OS.
make sure you have an active internet connection..

As I said before, the card runs nice if the only thing installed to the computer is the Nvidia driver, with the HDD ready to use or unformatted. Anything else I try to install (it can be the MB software, any windows update or even Firefox) makes it crash.

Now what would be the point in leaving only the SSD in? I'll need to put the HD into play later anyway.
m
l
November 14, 2011 4:40:21 PM

Quote:
so now drive sweeper and then reboot in safe mode to fresh install drivers didn't work.?
did trying another card (from a friend or something) work, what happened.?

First thing I ever tried is Driver Sweeper malmental, too bad it does not work either.

The Quadro FX380 I plugged in worked really well, not a single issue in the whole day. Also using the 560Ti in the Quadro's motherboard (which is a P5KPL/1600) worked fine too.

My mind is warping trying to figure out what can cause the problem:

• Drivers: tried installing every version, letting Windows update do the work (it installs the 275.33 version) and everything but no driver work. Standard VGA Adapter works though.

• BIOS and OCing: resetting the CMOS does not help. Running everything on factory clocks does not either.

• Corrputed system/registry: nope. Everything is brand new and out of the box, including Windows. Tried hacking the TDR parameters on the registry to no help too.

• Bad memory: I don't think so. Ran memtest for a couple hours and did not have a single error.

• Heating: nope. Both idle and load temps are within normal thresholds.

• Bad Power: Corsair HX650. Nuff said.

• Bad PCI slot: don't think so. Another card worked well there.

The only thing that solved the problem so far is changing the PCI slot to the x8 one. But as malmental pointed out, it's paying for nothing if I leave it like that.

m
l
November 14, 2011 5:12:53 PM

Quote:
if I'm starting to get irritated than I can only imagine how you feel about now....
send the GPU and the motherboard back.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/hout.gif

I'm feeling kinda like this (think my computer is that f*cking door):

Yeah, will do. Thanks for the help, I hope your hair is intact after that thread.
m
l
November 14, 2011 6:07:44 PM

this making me think it is a power problem

either with the PCIE x 16 slot supplied 75 watt
or your PCIE 6 pins

your 560Ti should be using two 6 pin power connectors

when you plugged in the Quadro how many 6 pin connectors did it use?

because if it only used one which I think most quadros do

but if 560TI worked with both 6 pins in the x 8 then

maybe that is not it
(sorry brainstorming here)

maybe your PCIE x 16 slot is not supplying power properly

I like Mals idea

clean edge connector of 560TI with strong alcohol (90 percent Isopropyl only)
also clean out the PCIe 16 slot

I think that the power pins on the edge connector of 560Ti is not making proper contact with the PCIe 16 slot

really clean the 560Ti edge connector first with pencil eraser then with iso alcohol

just a thought before returning everything for RMA
m
l
November 14, 2011 7:49:16 PM

Did you breadboard you system before setting it up? I know drivers could be an issue, but hardware is pretty sensitive anything can go wrong.

1. Boot up with just your CPU, heatsink, MoBo, and PSU. If it beeps, you're good. If not, it's probably a bad MoBo (or is it PSU?).

2. Add the RAM. If it beeps, you're good. If not, bad RAM.

3. Add the GPU. If it beeps, you're good. If not, bad GPU.

4. Eventually add the other pieces of hardware and boot up. If any issues occur at this point that do not allow for a successful boot, it's either a bad PSU or MoBo.

If the issue cannot be solved, I would start all over and RMA everything. I know it sucks delaying your build for a week or so, but it's better than the frustration and headaches you are going through.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:09:01 AM

Well I am pretty much ruling out hardware-related errors here.

The Quadro I plugged in does not have any power source connection. Now that's why I don't think it's hardware, even according to your own suggestions above:

• If it was a PSU problem, why does the card, plugged at the very same power connectors, work properly on the other slot? And if it's a slot problem, why does another card works with it? So I guess none of those is the troublemaker.

• What is a 'breadboarded system?' I have no idea. Either way, the only components that can be "bad" here are the MB or the GPU, but both work on different conditions.

About RMAing my whole system, I'd like to say that in Brazil you have to wait a whole month or more to have your stuff analyzed and, if any device is not factory-f*cked up, you have to unpocket enough money to practically buy another brand new hardware. So I'd like to keep RMA (which in practice is not even RMA at all) from being an option here.

Doesn't the STOP code I've posted above help me into my problem?

Thanks anyways.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:16:00 AM

mrmaia said:
What is a 'breadboarded system?' I have no idea. Either way, the only components that can be "bad" here are the MB or the GPU, but both work on different conditions.

It's basically a blueprint of your hardware before you place it in your case. It allows you to determine any hardware issues or to just test if your system will work.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:27:06 AM

AbdullahG said:
It's basically a blueprint of your hardware before you place it in your case. It allows you to determine any hardware issues or to just test if your system will work.

So no, I haven't breadboarded my system.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:27:31 AM

google your error from your BSOD screenshot and this is what I came up with

I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one
in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest WHQL
driver ver 100.65 vista 32.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed

that is from Vista
but should be similar procedure for Win7

your error was nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys error
which this refers too

soure - http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/68944...

google search page link - http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q...
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:36:26 AM

king smp said:
google your error from your BSOD screenshot and this is what I came up with

I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one
in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest WHQL
driver ver 100.65 vista 32.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed

that is from Vista
but should be similar procedure for Win7

your error was nVidia BSOD nvlddmkm.sys error
which this refers too

soure - http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/68944...

google search page link - http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q...

Oh my bad I forgot to mention the first thing I did with the code was google it. I came to this very same page - seems like it's an issue with 100.65 drivers, and for the current 285.62 it's been fixed. Thanks though.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:59:48 AM

did you try the fix?

m
l
November 15, 2011 2:03:14 AM

okay came across this

Quote -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related to BSOD (Nvidia: nvlddmkm.sys/0x00000116 or ATI: ati3duag.dll/0x00000XXX)

I would like to share a success story in regards to this error message that hopefully will help others... My specs are below for both PCs.

I received this error message with 3 different video cards and 2 manufactures Nvidia & ATI (the ATI BSOD was a bit different but same results). I did all of the basic and advance steps in troubleshooting including testing all of my hardware components on identical motherboards & power supplies; however, the BSOD would only show up on one motherboard with the video card in the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot but work fine in the second slot.

The actual issue was related to the North Bridge and the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot not running the correct voltage for the video card. Needless to say, here are the steps that corrected my issue, from ASUS Support, and reset the voltage for the video card:

1. Uninstall video card driver utilities from Programs
2. Uninstall video card driver from Device Manager/Display Adapters
3. Shut down computer
4. Unplug everything including power connector... wait 30 seconds
5. Remove the video card from the motherboard
6. Clear the motherboard CMOS for 20 seconds (my motherboard has a convenient CMOS button on the back but you may have to use a jumper or remove the battery... follow your MB instructions)
7. Plug in the power and start PC... wait 15 seconds and shut back down
8. Unplug power and put the video card back on your motherboard
9. Plug back in power and start back up... DO NOT modify your BIOS settings yet
10. OPTIONAL: I use RAID drives so I had to turn back on my RAID management in the BIOS when starting up
11. Once Windows loads, install video drivers, restart and see if the issue is fixed
12. If the issue is fixed go back into BIOS update RAM Timings and any other component settings needed

source - http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/160970-nvl...
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:07:48 AM

also this which I have read a few threads stating changing ram helped
even though the ram passed Memtest
it was the RAM causing the error

Well, the RMA guy tested the GPU on their test machine and it worked fine, through various tests - no issues whatsoever. They ran memtest on my RAM and again no errors. They tried another vid card on my machine and same nvlddmkm errors. They pulled out my RAM and tested it on their test machine - no issues but as soon as they put that same RAM back into my machine - the nvlddmkm errors came back. Eventually they just tried another set of RAM sticks, same manuf but slightly better model and no more nvlddmkm errors!! They tested extensively for around 3 days with various tests and no issues whatsoever.

So I've just had my system returned back yesterday and it's been running fine, not a single error (so far) so I'm smiling again - fingers crossed.

Sum up:
I thought my vid card was dying due to the artifacts and inability to run anything remotely 3D but I was wrong! It seems this nvlddmkm error is a very general error and causes symptoms that point the finger at drivers, OS and other hardware! There seems to be compatibility issues between RAM-mobo-GPU that is not well understood (at least by me).

source - http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/925197-nvlddmkm-sys...

found a few threads where changing memory sticks solved the problem

I would try the other power on fix first
then try changing RAM if possible
m
l
November 15, 2011 2:56:54 PM

king smp said:
okay came across this

Quote -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related to BSOD (Nvidia: nvlddmkm.sys/0x00000116 or ATI: ati3duag.dll/0x00000XXX)

I would like to share a success story in regards to this error message that hopefully will help others... My specs are below for both PCs.

I received this error message with 3 different video cards and 2 manufactures Nvidia & ATI (the ATI BSOD was a bit different but same results). I did all of the basic and advance steps in troubleshooting including testing all of my hardware components on identical motherboards & power supplies; however, the BSOD would only show up on one motherboard with the video card in the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot but work fine in the second slot.

The actual issue was related to the North Bridge and the first PCIe 2.0 x16 slot not running the correct voltage for the video card. Needless to say, here are the steps that corrected my issue, from ASUS Support, and reset the voltage for the video card:

1. Uninstall video card driver utilities from Programs
2. Uninstall video card driver from Device Manager/Display Adapters
3. Shut down computer
4. Unplug everything including power connector... wait 30 seconds
5. Remove the video card from the motherboard
6. Clear the motherboard CMOS for 20 seconds (my motherboard has a convenient CMOS button on the back but you may have to use a jumper or remove the battery... follow your MB instructions)
7. Plug in the power and start PC... wait 15 seconds and shut back down
8. Unplug power and put the video card back on your motherboard
9. Plug back in power and start back up... DO NOT modify your BIOS settings yet
10. OPTIONAL: I use RAID drives so I had to turn back on my RAID management in the BIOS when starting up
11. Once Windows loads, install video drivers, restart and see if the issue is fixed
12. If the issue is fixed go back into BIOS update RAM Timings and any other component settings needed

source - http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/160970-nvl...

Boy, when I saw this my eyes started shining again. I tested it and... did not work!

Also the memory thing did not work also, I popped in a stick of Corsair Dominator (only 'same manuf but slightly better model' i could think of) and same thing.

Now looking at my BIOS monitor I came across to this:

Can those voltages be any trouble? Also I don't know how to change them, the values shown are read-only.
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:02:14 PM

no those voltages dont get changed

did you try running with only one stick of different ram?

might be something with ram timings

the CAS,RAS etc

since you have an Asus board I would contact Asus support
sometimes you get lucky and get somebody who knows their stuff
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:05:40 PM

king smp said:
no those voltages dont get changed

did you try running with only one stick of different ram?

might be something with ram timings

the CAS,RAS etc

since you have an Asus board I would contact Asus support
sometimes you get lucky and get somebody who knows their stuff

Thank you for the help.

Yes, a single stick. The RAM timings are correct in the BIOS, so I'm almost giving up on the issue. Will contact both ASUS and EVGA though.
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:24:35 PM

First I found someone with same problem turned off Aero theme and just used Windows basic theme
and it worked
boot with x8 slot and try that

if that doesnt work then carefully read and follow this
http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/63320...

that is a in-detail guide to the 116 stop error

BTW I lost my rig for over 3 weeks due to a mobo failure and I was fortunate
to have a decent laptop to use but it SUCKED

so I REALLY REALLY want this to work for you :) 
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:25:53 PM

Befpre you give up!

read my last post please
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:33:30 PM

Yes I know
He can boot up with x8 slot and then go into windows and turn off Aero
go to Basic theme

EDIT: then boot with card in x16 slot

worked for one user

and this link

is an extremely detailed troubleshooter for the Stop 116 error the OP has
and Win7 forums it is from is a good forum
alot of guys there know their stuff
m
l
November 15, 2011 3:51:34 PM

king smp said:
Yes I know
He can boot up with x8 slot and then go into windows and turn off Aero
go to Basic theme

EDIT: then boot with card in x16 slot

worked for one user

and this link

is an extremely detailed troubleshooter for the Stop 116 error the OP has
and Win7 forums it is from is a good forum
alot of guys there know their stuff

Thank you both malmental and king smp for your effort into this issue. I definitely appreciate it.

Disabling Aero was one of the first things I tried. Needless to say what happened.

This Win7 link is bookmarked here for weeks. Of all the things it suggests, I haven't tried yet stress testing the card and resetting the pagefile. Now, even if I run Furmark on the x8 slot (which I'm using right now), will it be able to detect hardware problems?
m
l
November 15, 2011 4:07:11 PM

I dont think so
Seems to be a voltage problem to the card being supplied to x16 slot
remember your Quadro card was a much lower wattage card than the 560

try resetting pagefile
long shot but easy to do

and I am sorry I am out of ideas after that
contact Asus support is the next option
if the person sounds competent then great
if the person sounds ignorant then immediately hang up
and call back until you get one the good ones

also I would contact Asus first
think it is mobo related not GPU

Wow did I want this one to work

Please let us know (use Private Message feature just click my Avatar)
how this works out

I do get so emotionally involved in these things :) 
m
l
November 15, 2011 4:59:43 PM

also when talking to Asus about RMA
let them know you have read of the problem with their Mobos on forums
with the same issue
try to get a different model Mobo (even if you have to pay a little difference if possible)
or at least see if there is a new revision of the same mobo
you dont want to get the same model RMAd and have the same problem
m
l
November 15, 2011 5:16:22 PM

king smp said:
I dont think so
Seems to be a voltage problem to the card being supplied to x16 slot
remember your Quadro card was a much lower wattage card than the 560

try resetting pagefile
long shot but easy to do

and I am sorry I am out of ideas after that
contact Asus support is the next option
if the person sounds competent then great
if the person sounds ignorant then immediately hang up
and call back until you get one the good ones

also I would contact Asus first
think it is mobo related not GPU

Wow did I want this one to work

Please let us know (use Private Message feature just click my Avatar)
how this works out

I do get so emotionally involved in these things :) 

Well, in the end resetting the pagefile did not work and Furmark pinned my GPU temp at 75°C even at xtreme burn-in.

I'd contacted ASUS, even linking this thread for a complete story. Lets see if I can get something.

Thank you very much friends!
m
l
November 15, 2011 6:08:55 PM

good luck
hope it works out well
m
l
November 28, 2011 1:54:00 PM

Hey Mrmaia

I just bought a Corsair 90 GB Force 3 Series SSD and am having the exact same problems as you i have been trying everything to get it resolved i find doing a simple CHKDSK on the SSD drive saves the issue from happening as regulaly but does still persist i also have a EVGA GTX 460 so the hardware seems comparative however i am pointing this at the SSD as before using my older drives i had no issues. Whats the status on your side there? im sure we can figure this out i have also rolled back drivers but this has not helped? Did you get the latest BIOS for your SSD when you bought it before your install?

Let me Know Rob.
m
l
November 28, 2011 2:07:28 PM

Pilk said:
Hey Mrmaia

I just bought a Corsair 90 GB Force 3 Series SSD and am having the exact same problems as you i have been trying everything to get it resolved i find doing a simple CHKDSK on the SSD drive saves the issue from happening as regulaly but does still persist i also have a EVGA GTX 460 so the hardware seems comparative however i am pointing this at the SSD as before using my older drives i had no issues. Whats the status on your side there? im sure we can figure this out i have also rolled back drivers but this has not helped? Did you get the latest BIOS for your SSD when you bought it before your install?

Let me Know Rob.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm glad to know someone else is experiencing the same problem as me, but... well, somewhat comforting.

The only things I didn't blame were the SSD and Windows. I'll try running CHKDSK, plugging the board and see what happens when I get home. Now you're giving me hope, Pilk! :D 

I'm currently using the computer with the card in the x8 slot, and using my regular CAD programs hadn't disappointed me yet; to be honest I'm pretty happy. I did get a "driver has stopped responding and recovered" message twice but I'm not bothered.

I've contacted both ASUS and EVGA and both didn't even care to look into my problem; they said to contact my resellers (what I want desperately to avoid, especially with the video card) and start the RMA.

Also I didn't download anything to use my SSD (is there a BIOS for SSD? WTF?), I just cabled it and made it work.
m
l
November 29, 2011 1:40:55 PM

Hear me out... I skimmed through this thread so im not 100% sure you said if you disabled realtek drivers or not. These have issues with Nvidia drivers (all of them).
Also if you use Logitech, sorry King, there is a .exe file called Khalscroll. Find that in the processes tab in task manager and end the process. It sounds like its a faulty card
but like I said I skimmed through this thread.
If it says nvlddmkm.sys- it could be everything.
m
l
November 29, 2011 2:11:53 PM

mordax86 said:
Hear me out... I skimmed through this thread so im not 100% sure you said if you disabled realtek drivers or not. These have issues with Nvidia drivers (all of them).
Also if you use Logitech, sorry King, there is a .exe file called Khalscroll. Find that in the processes tab in task manager and end the process. It sounds like its a faulty card
but like I said I skimmed through this thread.
If it says nvlddmkm.sys- it could be everything.

the realtek drivers are worth a try
but if he is using onboard sound with Realtek
then what does the OP use for sound?

also with my mice and keyboards I rarely use the Logi software
just what comes with Win7

I have installed the Logitech Setpoint drivers to check them out
but never noticed that process
and I am a freak for checking out running processes

but it couldnt hurt to turn it off either
just does smooth scrolling in web browser to imitate a smartphone scroll

and BTW the Logitech thing is just to poke fun at Fanboys LOL

m
l
November 29, 2011 4:17:01 PM

Quote:
^
I don't think it's the cause but hey, it's all troubleshooting.
I got your Logitech 'hangin low' big boi.... :lol: 

Sure this is from a Nvidia Fanboi LOL :) 
though I got to admit AMD drivers do stink sometimes
m
l
November 29, 2011 4:28:51 PM

hee-hee
I am going over to idle chat so we dont go off topic LOL
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:39:56 AM

if it is a display driver issue also disable fraps and or precision. turn off aero. disable all audio/record devices not being used. decrease clock speeds, and increase fan. Replace the video card...i guess. These were the ones that I have heard work. well, and the khalscroll.exe. Keep us updated please
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:45:44 AM

mordax86, thank you for your help but I've done absolutely everything you told me to do before, and nothing works as you can see from older posts.

Realtek drivers indeed have issues and I disable them to use the Nvidia audio drivers (which I think that work better). Oh well, and I don't use anything from Logitech.

I still have to try the chkdsk trick though, will do it tomorrow and post the result here.
m
l
December 6, 2011 5:02:11 AM

HI Mirmira

Sorry its taken me so long to reply i had my issue sorted out in about 4 hours of re trying every driver under the sun, what i have found is that a particular firmware on EVGA cards does this and that is why so many people have this issue try this, this is what i did to sort my issue out. Did you have a dual screen setup at any time prior to your problems? if so then you probably have the same issue. (this is by the way a EVGA'S fault!)

What you need to do is going into advanced display options and set up dual display even if you do not have a secondary screen, it will give an option to forcefully extend your display to a secondary monitor, it gives you a list of resolutions to chose on the "non existing screen" just select the lowest res as you will not be using something that is not present, see if that does the trick, also if you have a spare screen or projector plug it in and use the extended display setup there instead of using the forcing option.

Let me know if you need a more visual guide to doing this but im sure you'll be alright.
m
l
December 13, 2011 6:24:40 PM

I have a very similar problem, though my machine is a few years older. I have dual GTX 280s and am running vista (been too lazy to upgrade). I encountered this problem for the first time a couple of months ago right after a reboot. The system appeared to boot up fine, but right after vista loaded the screen changed to something similar to your photo. Occasional restarts over the next few days showed the problem appearing about 50-60% of the time. However, if I didn't experience the problem immediately after Vista loaded, then the machine would be fine (at least until the next reboot).

So, I put off dealing with the problem and just left my machine on for a couple months. I had to restart the other day, however, due to a pretty hard GPU related failure. On every restart I get this artifact-laden screen the moment after Vista loads. Starting in safe mode works fine; starting with the full OS without the nvidia drivers works fine; starting the full OS with the nvidia drivers fails.

About a month before the first occurrence of this problem I had memory issues. Prior to that, I'd been overclocking the memory and had to crank down the voltage to resolve the problem. This makes makes me suspect the RAM sticks, though I haven't done a mem test.

m
l
!