Is my CPU running too hot?

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Yesterday I reseated my new i5 2500ks stock heat sink using the vertical line thermal paste method after it was overheating and making my computer shut off.

Now it's idling around 30-35c degees but when I open a game of Bad Company 2 in a server with no people the temperatures of the cores go up to 62-70degrees. Is this bad or too hot? It was only yesterday I applied the paste so it still has to break in. I don't really want to purchase a new cooler until I need to.

Also.. when I was wiping off the thermal paste and everything using the articlean stuff when it was all said and done I noticed a thin black line about a cm long on the top of the CPU. It woudn't come off so I guess its possibly product of the overheating? Could this have any harmful impact on my computer (ie. explode, start a fire, idk lol)? Could it affect performance?

Thanks!

It doesn't seem likely that your CPU could have survived any thermal event that got the CPU heat spreader hot enough to leave a mark. More likely it was that way since it's initial installation. Was the area around the mark still very flat? If so, it's not likely going to be a problem.

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Well maybe I should fix what I said.. when it was flat out shutting down I found out the cooler wasn't pushed in correctly on all side. I did that. Then idle was around 45
And I'm not sure but I think Bad Company put it in the high 70's even 80's.

So after reapplying it I'm getting around 10c less. And not sure but with the thermal paste break in period how much lower it'll go.

Also I wouldn't plan on OCing unless I got a new cooler.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Is your CPU overclocked? Then you may want to install an after-market cooler, such as Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I have an older version 212 Plus over i5-2400, which keeps the CPU temp under control with silence.

If you want to keep the CPU temp lower, you may want to change the fan speed-cpu temp profile on BIOS. My MSI board has option to set a target temp, over which the fan will speed up to keep the actual CPU temp low. Currently I set it on 50C, and the actual CPU temp barely go over the target even playing Skyrim on Ultra 1080p, so I don't hear the CPU fan sound usually.

The best way to reduce load temps is getting a beefier cooler. The Hyper 212+ MKBL is good, very popular and inexpensive. Just make sure it will fit in your case.

CPU coolers do their best work in a well ventilated case.
What case are you using? What type and how many fans does it use?

It doesn't seem likely that your CPU could have survived any thermal event that got the CPU heat spreader hot enough to leave a mark. More likely it was that way since it's initial installation. Was the area around the mark still very flat? If so, it's not likely going to be a problem.

Hi,

What program you use to monitor your temps ?

In fanspeed you have to consider core and cpu as 2 different things:

cpu temperature is the one your interested in: if it goes up to more than 80 degrees full load their might a problem.

core temperature is always higher than cpu temperature.

I wouldn't even bother with it.
( I had core at almost 100 degree but never had any problems on e8400: their might even be off or have problems )

BTW the cpu is still running fine

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Sorry just saw your post.

I'm using the HAF 922 and the fans that come with it.
Yeah it seemed smooth just when I tried to remove the black mark it wouldn't disappear.

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Well that's good! Still curious about the CPU monitor thing. How is the "CPU Temp" dif than Core temps? And if its the same which core do people usually go by? For example when I google idle temps and things like that people say one number then 4 different numbers.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Core temp reads temp on each core, and CPU temp on whole package. There shouldn't be big difference among them. For example, when my PC is playing Skyrim, the max of CPU is around 48, and the max of each core is between 45 - 49. Again, that's the max of each, not at the same time necessarily, though. At a given time, one core, particularly #2 (#0, 1,2,3) stays 2-3 C higher than other cores. I would be concerned if any core has more than 10C difference with others. That means the hotsink is not aligned correctly.

You can take the right side panel off to look at the CPU mounting plate to confirm that all four pins of the CPU cooler are evenly pushed in.

If the workloads per core aren't equal it's not unusual to see variations in reported temps.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
when the cpu temp hits 70, what is the fan speed? Rpm/%

if fan is not running fast enough because of pwm setting, cpu temp will go up, even with my beafy cooler.

Also when you reseat the heatsink, did you clean the bottom side of it as well as cpu thermal plate?

It seems that 70 is not a bad sign with stock cooler. if you are still bothered, just go get cm hyper. don't you value yor peace of mind over the price tag of mere $20? Based on your posting, I think you won't be fully satisfied with any answer here saying that it 70 is ok.

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
It's not that I'm not satisfied.. it's just I want to be sure and understand that it'll be okay.

Yes I used articlean on both the top of the processor and the heat sink.

I'm running Bad Company 2 right now with the temps at around 65
and the fan is around 2340 and has been continuing to rise

Edit:

So I just closed Bad Company 2 but before I did the fan had gotten up to 2500 and seemed like it was still going to go higher possibly.