Can I use an internal usb 3.0 PCIE in my motherboard?

mrje1

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I have an Asus P7P55D EVO motherboard for Intel Processors that I purchased over 2 years ago and I would like to upgrade to usb 3.0 via my PCIE port.

I spoke with Asus tech support and the guy recommended that the PCI Card runs at 2.0 compatible and actual data transfer for pci standard. Basically, my slot is an PCIE 2.0. I learned that it doesn't mean usb 2.0 or 3.0, just the Card slot itself.

My question to everyone is, can I or can't I install a usb 3.0 PCI or PCIE card without ruining my motherboard?

If I do buy one, this is the one I was actually looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Uspeed-SuperSpeed-express-Ports-connector/dp/B006FPSOXY/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1333568834&sr=1-9

I am not sure what other info you need. Ask me and I will give you the additional info.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
The card in your link will work perfectly to supply you with USB 3.0 ports. PCIe ver 2.0, as you correctly surmised, is not the same as USB ver 2.0. They have no bearing on each other. They are simply version numbers of totally different interfaces. You are good to go.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The card in your link will work perfectly to supply you with USB 3.0 ports. PCIe ver 2.0, as you correctly surmised, is not the same as USB ver 2.0. They have no bearing on each other. They are simply version numbers of totally different interfaces. You are good to go.

Solution

mojoman317717

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Does the PCI-E x1 slot NEED to be version 2.0 to be compatible for USB 3.0? Will a PCI-E x1 version 1.0 deliver any better performance than USB 2.0 with a 3.0 card plugged into it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

PCIe version 1 is slower than version 2. Since we are talking an x1 slot (one lane), the following chart should explain.

PCI Express data rate Per lane (each direction):

v1.x: 250 MB/s (2.5 GT/s)
v2.x: 500 MB/s (5 GT/s)

USB 3.0, on the other hand, has a theoretical data rate of 4.8Gbps. (Upper case B=bytes, lower case b=bits)