Buying a graphics card need help.

xacer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a Gateway 835GM (Yes I know its pretty old), and I was planning on buying a GeForce 9800 GT Graphics card but I wasn't sure if my motherboard could handle it (probably can't) and If I would also need to buy a new processer etc. I honestly don't know much about computers thats why i came here :\.

Here's my computer specs

Motherboard: Intel D945GBI
Processor: Intel Pentium D 820 (name)
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 3GB of RAM
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

xacer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
hmmm. . . . . Are you a serious gamer if not then go for the nvedia geforce 8 and sorry i need your psu info please

No I'm not a serious gamer, I just want to run a few games like Call of Duty MW2/Call of Duty Black Ops.

Here is the info for my PSU:

HIPRO

Model HP-P3087F3
HP P/N: 6506055R
Type ATX12V
Maximum Power 305W
Fans 1 x 80mm Fan
Input Voltage 100 - 127 V/ 200 - 240 V, 7A / 3.5A
Input Frequency Range 50 - 60 Hz
Input Current 10A 115V, 5A 230V
Output: +5V 22.0A, +12VA 18.0A, +12VB 18.0A, -12V 1A, +3.3V 17.0A, +5VFP 2.0A
MTBF 100,000 Hours
Dimensions 3.3" x 5.8" x 5.5" (H x W x D)

Connectors:
1 x Main connector (24Pin)
1 x ATX12V (P4)
1 x PCI-Ex
3 x peripheral
3 x SATA
1 x Floppy

With a 305W psu you will not be able to SAFELY run a 9800GT. Most of the time though a Radeon 5570 will run on that as well as maybe a Radeon 5670. The 5670 is one of the best for the price and power usage. The good thing about these is that the Pentium D will only slightly be a bottleneck for these cards. For older games, the 5670 is king.

xacer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Oh I see, can a Radeon 5570 or 5670 run Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on high setting smoothly? And If I were to buy the GeForce 9800 GT, what would be the best or cheapest PSU I can buy that can run the 9800 GT safely?

There are some rather decent PSU's out there for a good price, just STAY AWAY FROM GENERIC. there was a PSU like I saw a while back what showed which PSU's to buy and to not buy, but I don't know where it went.

To say it simply, you don't want a really cheap PSU. Depending on what is inside of your system (probably not much since it has a Pentium D, no offense) 500W should do fine. Just buy from a credible brand.

annie123

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
hi fndz last week i bought a vedio card from Penta Group. so if need latest vedio card you can see it.http://penta.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=202_203_526

xacer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Haha don't worry its a pretty old computer now.. Oh ya would you recommend this PSU?

Link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/cooler-master-cooler-master-extreme-500-watt-power-supply-rs500-pcara3-us-rs500-pcara3-us/10162304.aspx?path=8552828e4f5ed204f6656f00836dfd94en02

By the way, would I also need to buy a new motherboard/processor too? But to be honest If It would cost too much money just to upgrade the computer I might as well buy a new computer or laptop, i mean like its an old computer now anyways... And new computers/laptops doesn't cost too much nowadays.

That would definitely be enough to power your system with a 9800GT in it. Replacing a PSU is really not that hard, you just replace all of the things you took out. Replacing the PSU also gives you a chance to organize your system, like route the wires and stuff.

Eventually you should probably just build a whole new computer. If you don't know what kind of parts to get or if this part will work with that, there are barebones kits (like a kit car kind of thing) that contain components that will work together. Most even have a new case. There are also plenty of guides that will help you through the process. Here is the one I used

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/html/PCbuildingTips.html

I guess since that board is a socket 775, you could put a Core2Quad Yorkfield in there. That is a solid performer and will get you through awhile before you would need an upgrade. For some reason though looking online for a Core2Quad will only turn up with really expensive one. The best place to find some are in old computers. I found one that I sold to my friend in an old HP computer (you should only really do this if they don't want the computer and you know what you are doing)

Oh, and don't buy any PC components from Best Buy unless it is urgent or required (my GPU died mid game! oh no!) Best Buy does not carry to many components and does not have a wide selsction. They also do not sell to many, so they are expensive. Online at places like TigerDirect and Newegg are usually going to be cheaper, or even go to Fry's.

xacer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Thanks for the information's and the link! Oh, I used to shop only at Best Buy and Future shop (oh and staples too of course) because those were the only stores that sold new computer parts where I lived (Vancouver) that I know of... But now since I moved to Toronto I found a few computer stores that Vancouver didn't have, like TigerDirect, Canada's Computer etc. Once again thanks for your help/info.