Windows 7 Crashes, Error Logs Within, please help!

dynesaur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Been crashing way too much lately, my computer was completely unusable last night. This morning it hasn't crashed yet, but we'll see. Here's the error logs I'm getting.

'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort4."

"The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:."

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

and this one which seems to be unrelated to the others, but still exists.

"Performance power management features on processor 1 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

Hoping for some community love! Almost went out and bought a new hard drive, but I really don't think it's the hard drive. I just don't know where to start. Western Digital's drive checking program returned the drive as perfectly fine.

Edit: Forgot to mention how my system crashes. Basically it's a slow degradation of all programs that are open becoming unresponsive, ultimately ending with Windows Explorer crashing and then it locks up entirely.

Solution
I found this

I really hate to tell you this but the EVGA X58 boards are notorious for killing drives when u have VT enabled. Do you run with that option enabled in bios? If so when you reboot the board will basically Kill your drives eventually. if you perform a search in the forums you will find people having this problem. EVGA is the only Brand I know that has this problem with the X58 chipset. I lost 3 2TB drives till I finally had enough & bailed. I went to ASUS & haven't had any problems whatsoever. VT works without the double boot crap & the even board seems faster as well. I used to love EVGA products but lately it seems quality is going downhill, even there Video Cards seem pretty plain anymore compared to other brands. Only...

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Did it ever lock up? or did you ever get a BSOD? Or was the PC operational even after the error?

dynesaur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

It did and does lock up. After a power cycle I get some issues rebooting, but eventually it boots back up fine until it crashes again.

What are all the things you have plugged into the wide (most likely gray) ribbon cables in your computer?

When you restart, go into the BIOS and try to find the listing of IDE devices and write down all that information. It should include their IDE port number. Note how your error specifically talks about port 4.

Also, what are you doing when this constant degradation happens? Surfing the internet? Playing games?

Hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE and start Task manager. Look at the performance tab and tell me the RAM numbers. It will be the second one down. I need to know current and maximum values. The more you write down from in there the better. Kernel Memory Paged would be a nice value to see as would everything in Physical Memory.

Also, if you switch back to the processes tab, I would like you to tell me everything in there that is using over 100 megs (100,000k).

Also, did you do all the windows updates that are critical and recommended? When was the last time you updates your drivers to include BIOS?

Full system specs including maker/model/age of everything would be nice too.

dynesaur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

1. I'm pretty sure I'm not using any IDE devices. My HDD and DVD drive are both SATA, unless that counts? I will check that soon, though.

2. I will do that as soon as I can.

3. Anything and everything. I notice it faster when I'm chatting on facebook due to the realtime crashing action.

3. I have 6GBs of RAM, right now using about 3.4GBs (I have SW:TOR open)

4. swtor.exe, firefox, svchost, and Live 8.0.6(music production software)

5. I haven't done any manually, but they do come in quite frequently automatically. I suppose I can try forcing those updates.

6. Hooray for Newegg's order history. Date is when it was ordered.

11/5/2011
1 x EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FPB Video Card

6/23/2009
1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

6/26/2009
1 x EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
1 x OCZ Diesel 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model OCZUSBDSL4G
1 x OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

Wow, my hard drives old. Maybe it is the drive.

What are the numbers associated with those 4 things from number 4? How much RAM they are using, I mean.

I can tell you from experience that some browsers have trouble releasing the full amount of used RAM when a tab is closed.

I examined a laptop one time that had been used in such a way that tabs were just opened and closed all the time without ever closing down the browser completely. There was 700+ megs of RAM being held in memory by the browser even with just one simple tab open.

I closed the browser and opened it again and that released all the RAM and brought the 700+ megs used to a more manageable 60 mb.

The laptop had been having copious amounts of problems or a random nature and this simple close and re-open got rid of all of them instantly. I am talking stupid stuff like not being able to use the scroll wheel in a PDF to move down the page, etc. The computer had been failing to do those things due to all the RAM these tabs that weren't even open anymore were still using.

Anyway, something to think about.

If you are really just surfing the internet and having worse and worse performance all the time, this could be part of the problem.

dynesaur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
It's really not a RAM issue, I actually have 12GBs of ram sitting on my desk that I've been too lazy to put in my rig as well, mainly because I really dont need to put it in right now.

If you do indeed have 3x 4GBs laying around then put it in and test it.

I am not sure if what it is you want from me/us if it isn't to do what we ask so we can help you figure out what the problem is.

If you are going to dismiss such a logical avenue of investigation, then at least run HWMonitor from CPUID and tell me what the temps are when it crashes. While you are at it, use spray air to blow all the dust out of the computer and clean any air filters in place as well.

dynesaur

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Because I don't really need the RAM, I've had this PC for more than two years, I know more or less what's it's capable of doing. I will put it in eventually, but it's not a priority at the moment. My priority right now is fixing the the crashing revolving around IdePort4 which seems to not even be in use at all. Sorry if I came off as rude.

Temps at this very moment.

mobo: 68 C
cpu: 80 C
hdd: 49 C
video card: 77 C

I found this

I really hate to tell you this but the EVGA X58 boards are notorious for killing drives when u have VT enabled. Do you run with that option enabled in bios? If so when you reboot the board will basically Kill your drives eventually. if you perform a search in the forums you will find people having this problem. EVGA is the only Brand I know that has this problem with the X58 chipset. I lost 3 2TB drives till I finally had enough & bailed. I went to ASUS & haven't had any problems whatsoever. VT works without the double boot crap & the even board seems faster as well. I used to love EVGA products but lately it seems quality is going downhill, even there Video Cards seem pretty plain anymore compared to other brands. Only thing EVGA really has to compete IMO is there Warranty & Step-Up Program which are both awesome, but they seem to be behind in just about everything else. A shame really look around, people have been waiting almost 4 years for fixes that have been outstanding for years yet all they do is tweak for Gulftowns in the last handful of updates. Let's face it people with these CPU's resemble maybe 20% of the consumer base with these boards. Hell the raid option rom hasn't been updated in years.

At this location

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=291699&mpage=1

on the evga boards. It talks about potential failures of EVGA boards and how they damage hard drives. You have an evga motherboard.

You may want to at least look into this as the cause of your issues.

Solution