Sign in with
Your question

Think I may have "shorted" out computer???

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2012 10:36:04 PM

Hello,
I went to plug in my camera to transfer pics & accidentally put wrong end into USB port ( didn;t fit- but touched) & computer immediately shut off & won;t come back on- tried unlugging...nothing- help

More about : shorted computer

April 4, 2012 10:51:54 PM

cherylphil said:
Hello,
I went to plug in my camera to transfer pics & accidentally put wrong end into USB port ( didn;t fit- but touched) & computer immediately shut off & won;t come back on- tried unlugging...nothing- help

Sounds like you have at least fried your power supply (If may just be a fuse inside the casing, but these are difficult to get at and often soldered in. So it's a take it down to a shop job).

You may also have damaged the main board. You could try another power supply and see if your computer starts up.
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 11:54:14 PM

Some older Intel boards had a known issue with static electricity destroying the Southbridge chip through the USB ports. I had an old Pentium 4 board die this way trying to plug in a USB headset. My guess is your motherboard is dead.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 5, 2012 1:42:50 AM

cherylphil said:
Hello,

front port or rear port?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 5, 2012 7:07:35 PM

System specs? What did you unplug? Have you tried disconnecting the USB connector that goes from your motherboard to the front panel of you case?
m
l
!