Think I may have "shorted" out computer???

Hello,
I went to plug in my camera to transfer pics & accidentally put wrong end into USB port ( didn;t fit- but touched) & computer immediately shut off & won;t come back on- tried unlugging...nothing- help
4 answers Last reply
More about think shorted computer
  1. cherylphil said:
    Hello,
    I went to plug in my camera to transfer pics & accidentally put wrong end into USB port ( didn;t fit- but touched) & computer immediately shut off & won;t come back on- tried unlugging...nothing- help

Sounds like you have at least fried your power supply (If may just be a fuse inside the casing, but these are difficult to get at and often soldered in. So it's a take it down to a shop job).

You may also have damaged the main board. You could try another power supply and see if your computer starts up.
  2. Some older Intel boards had a known issue with static electricity destroying the Southbridge chip through the USB ports. I had an old Pentium 4 board die this way trying to plug in a USB headset. My guess is your motherboard is dead.
  3. cherylphil said:
    Hello,

front port or rear port?
  4. System specs? What did you unplug? Have you tried disconnecting the USB connector that goes from your motherboard to the front panel of you case?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Cameras USB Components