Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My computer wont turn on

Last response: in Components
April 4, 2012 11:31:43 PM

about a month ago i came here for help in picking a new power supply and graphics card. I was told to get a Corsair CX V2 430 and the graphics card was Radeon HD6770. I got the power supply about a week ago there was no direction what so ever on how to install it i think i plugged in everything right and the computer wouldn't come on but there was a yellow light on inside the tower. I was than told that i needed to replace the power supply so i returned it and i was sent a new one. Today i got the new one again no directions on how to install it i think i installed everything right again and still the computer wont turn on but there's a yellow light on inside the tower. I have not installed the graphics card yet. any idea why my computer wont turn on? my computer is a dell inspiration 530 not the slim version

More about : computer wont turn

April 5, 2012 12:10:36 AM

from that guide it looks like i have everything connected right but still nothing
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 12:16:49 AM

That motherboard has an auxiliary 4-pin power plug (bottom left in picture here):

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-inspiron-530-530s-fm586-m...

Just a wild guess, but did you make sure that's plugged in? It's easy to overlook. And also sometimes possible to plug in backwards, which can also cause problems since it's polarized. So another thing to check for (make sure the pins match in the direction they're facing)
Score
April 5, 2012 12:32:57 AM

yep i already had that plugged in
Score
April 5, 2012 12:42:43 AM

Can you elaborate on the yellow light? Is it on the motherboard? Case?

Also, full system specs would be helpful.
Score
April 5, 2012 1:46:50 AM

its a small yellow light on the motherboard
dell inspiron 530
intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
ram 2.0gb
intel G33/G31 express chipset family
Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 203 U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 1:48:21 AM

also you need to plug a 6 or 8 pin connector to the video card you bought the old stock cards dont need power.
also check your power plugs on your drives you may have missed a pin and the ps wont power on do to a short.
Score
April 5, 2012 2:10:05 AM

I haven't installed the graphics card yet i cant even get it to power up. and this power supply has a connector for the graphics card
Score
April 5, 2012 2:36:19 AM

Is it possible that the power supply is not turned on?
Score
April 5, 2012 2:56:20 AM

no it on since the yellow light on the mother board goes off when i flip the switch on the back on the power supply
Score

Best solution

April 6, 2012 12:36:41 AM

You're CPU doesn't have integrated graphics. You need to put a GPU in before you try to power it on.

Edit: Scratch that, it's on your chipset. Although it might be worth it to try installing the GPU, just in case the onboard video is broken.
April 7, 2012 12:51:49 AM

I did as you said and installed the graphics card and it powered right up. but now i'm having other issues.
Score
April 7, 2012 12:53:10 AM

Best answer selected by photoeditspro.
Score
!