Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Keyboard remains powered after shut down

Last response: in Motherboards
February 12, 2013 1:10:50 PM

Hi All,

So I shut down windows 8 but my Razor Black Widow keyboard remains powered, LED's stay on indefinitely. The only way to get the keyboard to shut off is is to throw the power switch on the PSU. My mouse shuts down properly. Would the motherboard be keeping one USB 3 port powered for some reason?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 1:12:53 PM

It's probably keeping them all powered. If I had to guess, it's so you can charge a smartphone without powering on the computer.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:18:07 PM

willard said:
It's probably keeping them all powered. If I had to guess, it's so you can charge a smartphone without powering on the computer.

My Logitech G9X LED's go out so I'm assuming it is no longer powered.

I forgot about that charging feature... Would it differentiate between my mouse and keyboard? Maybe thinking the Keyboard needs to be charged for some reason?
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 1:26:10 PM

Is wake-on-usb enabled in the bios, or other options related to usb and power.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 1:32:26 PM

ibjeepr said:
Maybe thinking the Keyboard needs to be charged for some reason?

Only wireless devices need to be charged. Your keyboard doesn't even have a battery in it.

The mouse may be intelligent enough to detect the changed power state and shut off its LEDs, and the keyboard isn't. Who knows. What I do know is that this isn't going to cause any problems, so unless the lights irritate you, I'd just ignore it.

For reference, USB provides about 2.5W of power (5V at 0.5A). Over a year, that costs you $2.19 if your keyboard were drawing the maximum power from the plug 24/7, which it isn't.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 1:34:24 PM

It might be the ASrock APP charger feature in the UEFI, which is meant to allow rapid device charging via the USB 3.0 ports even when the system is shut down. Try disabling it and see if that's what's responsible.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:39:44 PM

willard said:
Only wireless devices need to be charged. Your keyboard doesn't even have a battery in it.

The mouse may be intelligent enough to detect the changed power state and shut off its LEDs, and the keyboard isn't. Who knows. What I do know is that this isn't going to cause any problems, so unless the lights irritate you, I'd just ignore it.

For reference, USB provides about 2.5W of power (5V at 0.5A). Over a year, that costs you $2.19 if your keyboard were drawing the maximum power from the plug 24/7, which it isn't.

LOL I know the keyboard doesn't need to be charged. I was asking if the motherboard for some reason was trying to charge it because it detected it as a chargable device or something.

It's not a big deal but I'd prefer it being off. If there is no definite answer I'll just ignore it as you said.
m
l
February 12, 2013 1:40:38 PM

doubletake said:
It might be the ASrock APP charger feature in the UEFI, which is meant to allow rapid device charging via the USB 3.0 ports even when the system is shut down. Try disabling it and see if that's what's responsible.

Ya that's what Willard thought too. I forgot all about that feature. I'll give that a shot when I get home from work.

Thank you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 1:50:28 PM

I think its wake on USB option in the bios. It allows the computer to use a mouse click or a key press as the power button. In order for that to work the motherboard must keep the 5volt power to the USB on at all times. If you don't want to use that feature just disable the wake on USB.

On my Asrock extreme 4 z77 the charging function is smart enough to know that the mouse and keyboard dont need to be charged so it turns them off. If you plug them in with the computer off, they light for a second then go off.
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:03:11 PM

bucknutty said:
I think its wake on USB option in the bios. It allows the computer to use a mouse click or a key press as the power button. In order for that to work the motherboard must keep the 5volt power to the USB on at all times. If you don't want to use that feature just disable the wake on USB.

On my Asrock extreme 4 z77 the charging function is smart enough to know that the mouse and keyboard dont need to be charged so it turns them off. If you plug them in with the computer off, they light for a second then go off.

Is the wake on USB setting individual for the Keyboard and mouse. (pretty sure it isn't) What has really confused me is that the mouse shuts down and the keyboard doesn't. Unless as Willard pointed out, the mouse is smart enough to know what's going on.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 2:31:07 PM

Im looking in my bios now.. I have
PS/2 power on. Set to off
USB keyboard remote power on. Set to on.
USB mouse power on. set to off.

I cant even find an option to enable or dissable for the charging system.

When my computer is off I can hit the space bar to power on and boot.
I have a saitek cyborg light up keyboard, It is not lit up. The moment I hit the keyboard the computer turns on. If I wiggle the mouse the light on the mouse comes on for 1 second and goes off, but it does not power on.

If I plug in my phone it charges, cheap samsung.

I wonder if the board acts differently based on different devices?
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 2:38:18 PM

bucknutty said:
I wonder if the board acts differently based on different devices?

It's possible. I'm using the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 (one model up from the OP), and my keyboard lights go off when the computer is powered down. Mouse is wireless (G700) and I've never bothered to check whether or not it charges while the computer is off.
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 2:43:03 PM

USB keyboard remote power on. Set to on.

Set that to off.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:03:51 PM

Ah, interesting. I guess I get to play with the bios when I get home :) 
I wouldn't have guessed the keyboard and mouse were able to be set individually.

Thanks guys. When I get home tonight I'll test it and let you know if it worked.
m
l
February 12, 2013 9:54:28 PM

Ok, I came home and hit a bunch of keys on the keyboard to see if the system would power on; it didn't.
I went into the bios and check the remote power on settings for the mouse and keyboard and both were off.

Any other settings to check or thoughts?
m
l
February 13, 2013 4:47:35 PM

Well, last night when I shut the system down for the night the keyboard powered down.

I can only conclude that going into the bios and just saving and exiting somehow changed something.

Here's a stretch but maybe what affected it.
A day or so earlier I disconnected everthing and moved the tower so that I could add new case fans. When I reconnected everything maybe I put the mouse and keyboard back in opposite USB slots than they were in before. Maybe the motherboard detected the change in device for the keyboard that caused an issue. I don't know. Just saving and exiting the bios seems to have fixed it though.
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:39:52 PM

Best answer selected by ibjeepr.
m
l
November 4, 2013 2:08:26 PM

I`m getting something similar with an old keyboard on my new build, the light stays on and its not even USB, just an old ps2 keyboard :) 
m
l
!