MB - ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 A75 - $70
CPU - AMD A6-3500 FM1 with HD 6530D - $90
MEM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $23
HDTV TUNER - Hauppauge dual - $110
HD - Hitachi 500GB - $80
OPTICAL - ASUS Black 12X BD-RW - $80
PSU - CORSAIR CX430 - $25 after $20 MIR
CASE - Silverstone HTPC - $60

So I bought almost exactly what was suggested above except i bought a WD 2.0 TB HD instead. While i put it all together and then i tried to install Windows 7 64bit from a bootable USB and it goes through loading all the files and then it gets to the "starting windows" section and then goes straight to a BSOD. I've done a lot of forum reading and found several similar problems but nothing has worked. This is my first build so could it be that i installed something incorrectly?

I went into the BIOS and it recognized all the RAM and everything else looked ok. Do i need to format the new HD before using it? Also i read that updating the bios could help. I have not loaded any drivers. I just put it all together and fired it up. I have a 24-pin power going to the MB and a 8-PIN that is near the graphics portion on the MB. I then have the HD plugged into the SATA1 slot and the DVD drive in the SATA2 slot. I also hooked up the power, reset, and led's to the MB as well.

I just realized that the RAM i bought is not technically on the supported ram list for the MB but i was told it should work fine.

I appreciate any ideas!
December 28, 2011 2:19:08 PM

Who told you the ram should work fine? It is best to stick with supported ram since blue screens are usually a RAM or MB issue I would start there.
m
l
December 28, 2011 2:24:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Systems by Area51reopened
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2011 5:54:09 PM

vigilante212 said:
Who told you the ram should work fine? It is best to stick with supported ram since blue screens are usually a RAM or MB issue I would start there.

The whole build was recommended on here by another user. I'm going to try and do a dvd install vs the USB install i was doing. If that doesn work, i'll try different ram.
m
l
December 28, 2011 7:06:21 PM

marinemail05 said:
The whole build was recommended on here by another user. I'm going to try and do a dvd install vs the USB install i was doing. If that doesn work, i'll try different ram.

Check BIOS and make sure the memory is getting the correct voltage.
m
l
December 30, 2011 11:56:13 AM

Figured it out! Turns out I was using windows 7 w sp1 checked/ debugged. Once I tried it without the checked/ debugged version it worked fine. Thanks for the help!
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:29:02 PM

marinemail05 said:
Figured it out! Turns out I was using windows 7 w sp1 checked/ debugged. Once I tried it without the checked/ debugged version it worked fine. Thanks for the help!

What are your thoughts on the ASRock motherboard? I'm thinking of getting it but I've not had any experience with this manufacture.
m
l
January 3, 2012 11:41:16 AM

well the only problem i'm having right now is that the 4 built-in USB 3.0 ports are not working at all. I've only had time to troubleshoot it a little bit but i installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard but so far no luck. We'll see......
m
l
!