2nd Gaming Build Advice (I botched the 1st one)

Teleri13

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I've built one system before, but the system didn't end up being very stable; always crashes at least once on start up, but then runs fine. I also started with two SLIed video cards and managed to melt one of them. So, I'm going to ask for advice on this one, with an emphasis on stability, then performance. The case is the biggest question for me. I have a 24.8 cm (W) x 59.3 cm (H) enclosure that is open on either end. I would prefer not to melt something this time. So case and fan advice is a must. I want to have the option to add a second 570 in sli as an upgrade and to run two monitors. Any advice appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I finalize build

Budget Range: ~1500, can go higher, but I set a budget so I didn't go too crazy

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, television

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com or amazon.com

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Maybe (Never done it, might give it a try)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (I want the option available for upgrade)

Monitor Resolution: currently 1080i vizio VX37L 1366x768, but it will end up being 1 to 2 1920x1080

Here is my plan:

gpu: GTX 570
mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V (pro instead?)
cpu: i5 2500k
ram: G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB ddr3 1866
hard drive: Intel SSD 510 120GB (as main drive)
2x320 GB WD hdd (from old system as storage)
psu: Antec HCG-900
optical drive: Lite-On IHAS424-98 Internal DVD Writer
case: Antec 1200?

Teleri13

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I looked primarily at antec and coolermaster. The HAF X looked cool but literally would not fit in the space I had in mind. HAF 932 was a runner up, so I'll switch it to the lead. Still concerned about the space on top and to the side. Should I clear a hole on the side for the side fan, or just run the others?