Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 560 Ti Artifacting at stock clocks?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2011 5:25:38 PM

Hey guys,

I've got two PNY GTX 560 Ti OC2's in SLI running at the stock (900 Mhz) speeds and I think I may be getting some artifacts while playing Battlefield 3. I think what I'm getting is artifacts but I'm not completely sure. I've only noticed it with this game and have not seen them while running benchmarks like 3dMark11 or Crysis. It's definitely more annoying than the minor screen tears I get without using Vsync and they happen whether Vsync is one or off, whether I'm in motion or stationary, and regardless of what graphical quality settings I'm using. My temps for the cards never reach above 61 degrees Celsius. Also, I'm using the latest official, non-beta driver for Battlefield 3 and Rage: 285.62. I have not had this issue when using previous drivers for the game or when I played the BF 3 beta on only one of the cards. Do you think one or both of my cards are duds? Do you think it's a driver issue? Thoughts?

Also, I while try and get a screen shot or two of the problem.

-Thanks in advance.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 6:59:46 PM

The stock clockspeed for the GTX560Ti is 822mhz, have you tried running them at that speed instead of the factory OC.
Score
October 30, 2011 7:11:54 PM

I really think what you are seeing, which is probably similiar to what I am seeing is a game issue and not a videocard issue. Hopefully NVidia will bring out a new driver or EA will patch the game. There are too many peeps posting about issues for it to be the cards, IMO.
Score
Related resources
a c 195 U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 7:18:36 PM

I think it is more of a driver problem, and the stock clocks for a 560Ti are 822MHz as said above. Your cards are factory overclocked. BF3 is a rather new game and still needs some buffering to be perfect.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 8:29:22 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The stock clockspeed for the GTX560Ti is 822mhz, have you tried running them at that speed instead of the factory OC.

+1, try to lower your clocks a little as Crysis 2 has some issues with OCed GPUs, anyway BF3 has some bugs and a lot of people waiting for a patch to fix it. Even more, BF3 has issues with nVidia cards more than AMD's.
Score
October 31, 2011 12:04:43 AM

Mousemonkey said:

I have not, only because I have heard that PNY does not honor the warranty even when you decrease the clock speed.
Score
October 31, 2011 12:09:59 AM

chiptouz said:
I really think what you are seeing, which is probably similiar to what I am seeing is a game issue and not a videocard issue. Hopefully NVidia will bring out a new driver or EA will patch the game. There are too many peeps posting about issues for it to be the cards, IMO.

Hopefully this is the case. I have a friend that has a high end AMD card not sure of the model and says he has gotten lots of bugs too. As an update, I tried playing around with the settings in Nvidia control panel and since setting my Physics processing to the CPU (from Auto select) I haven't noticed the "artifacts".
Score
October 31, 2011 12:15:14 AM

ilysaml said:
+1, try to lower your clocks a little as Crysis 2 has some issues with OCed GPUs, anyway BF3 has some bugs and a lot of people waiting for a patch to fix it. Even more, BF3 has issues with nVidia cards more than AMD's.

I'm just a bit hesitant to lower clocks as I've heard PNY may not honor the warranty even when decreasing clock speed. If the problem persists after another patch I might try contacting them about it. Just curious as to the Nvidia cards having more issues than AMD cards, any substantiation?. Not doubting the validity, it's certainly possible but it just seems too early to tell. Any large-scale studies done? More graphical bugs or just lower performance on average?
Score

Best solution

October 31, 2011 12:34:35 AM

I don't think they have any way of knowing that the clocks have been changed, either up or down. As long as you don't change the speeds by flashing the bios of course. MSI Afterburner seems to be the favourite tool for changing clocks.

I had to send three factory overclocked Gigabyte 560tis back due to artifacting. I found that when I lowered the memory frequency the problem went away.

Give the cards a good run on other games too just to make sure it's not BF3 only. The game I had huge problems with was Fallout NV.

Well done on keeping the temps to 61C with SLI by the way. I hit 95C withing 5 minutes with two of the Gigabyte SOC cards I had.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 31, 2011 1:03:53 AM

Cgil1987 said:
Quote:
I'm just a bit hesitant to lower clocks as I've heard PNY may not honor the warranty even when decreasing clock speed. If the problem persists after another patch I might try contacting them about it

You're Underclocking not Overclocking, simply the card on IDLE downclocks itself to the lowest core and memory clock to save energy and bla bla, so what you're saying is not reasonable. Even if the card was damaged by an OC, they won't get to know the cause because you're overclocking via software.
Quote:
Just curious as to the Nvidia cards having more issues than AMD cards, any substantiation?.

I'm running without any problem, almost half way to finish the game. yet, seeing alot of members here complain about artifacts and shadows issues with their single GPUs and SLI setups, even Toms review had problems with nVidia DX10 old cards
Quote:
even though the 200s throw up some reasonable performance numbers (especially the GTX 295), they’re not doing as much work. The game automatically dials Terrain Quality down from High to Low, yielding some pretty nasty artifacts as shadows interact with the environment
Hopefully Nvidia can fix this in its drivers. For now, those older Nvidia cards don't do Battlefield 3 any favors; stick to the newer stuff (or go the AMD route—incidentally, AMD’s DX 10 cards don’t have this problem)..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Score
a c 230 U Graphics card
October 31, 2011 1:48:38 AM

There's been lotta problems w/ BF3.....my son rolled back the drivers to .38, as recommended by TS, and still hits pints in the game where he crashes unless he turns off SLI.
Score
October 31, 2011 7:51:20 PM

Thanks for the info ilysaml. I'm aware that the cards automatically raise and lower their clock speeds at will when needed based on performance needs. This isn't underclocking or overclocking, nor is it what I was referencing. My concern was whether or not raising or lowering the maximum clock speeds that the cards can reach would be grounds for a voidable warranty. If there's no way for PNY to know that the clocks have been changed via software that's great. Keep in mind I'm a noob as this is my first PC build, so I may say things that are unreasonable or even nonsensical throughout my search for help.

And thanks for also providing the review regarding DX 10 cards and BF3 performance. It's interesting to the see the differences in the older cards.
Score
October 31, 2011 7:52:38 PM

Deemo13 said:
I think it is more of a driver problem, and the stock clocks for a 560Ti are 822MHz as said above. Your cards are factory overclocked. BF3 is a rather new game and still needs some buffering to be perfect.

Right, I should have used the term "factory overclock" and not "stock".
Score
October 31, 2011 7:54:34 PM

Best answer selected by Cgil1987.
Score
October 31, 2011 8:08:22 PM

adamsteenfeldt said:
I don't think they have any way of knowing that the clocks have been changed, either up or down. As long as you don't change the speeds by flashing the bios of course. MSI Afterburner seems to be the favourite tool for changing clocks.

I had to send three factory overclocked Gigabyte 560tis back due to artifacting. I found that when I lowered the memory frequency the problem went away.

Give the cards a good run on other games too just to make sure it's not BF3 only. The game I had huge problems with was Fallout NV.

Well done on keeping the temps to 61C with SLI by the way. I hit 95C withing 5 minutes with two of the Gigabyte SOC cards I had.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try out Crysis 2 with the BF 3 drivers I'm currently using and see if I see similar artifacts. I'll try rolling back to the BF 3 Beta drivers if needed. I actually do use MSI afterburner to keep tabs on my temps, so that's good news about clock changing. So would changing the voltage through Afterburner also be kept unknown? I don't plan on doing anything like that soon, but maybe in the future.

As for the temps, my highest card one time reached 81 degrees when running 3DMark11 but that was before moving my side fan to the bottom position and before I added an additional fan to blow air at a 45 degree angle from bottom right to upper left of my case. Seems to work pretty well.
Score
November 1, 2011 2:18:39 AM

The voltage through Afterburner would be the same story. They wouldn't know unless of course something went bang, fizzle, pop. I'm far too scared to mess with voltages personally.

I'd be interested to know if the problem goes away with a lower memory clock. It did for me but I wasn't happy running my card at less than factory speed so I got an EVGA instead.

Score
November 1, 2011 2:33:52 AM

adamsteenfeldt said:
The voltage through Afterburner would be the same story. They wouldn't know unless of course something went bang, fizzle, pop. I'm far too scared to mess with voltages personally.

I'd be interested to know if the problem goes away with a lower memory clock. It did for me but I wasn't happy running my card at less than factory speed so I got an EVGA instead.

Yea I'm kinda in the same boat as far as voltage goes. Don't want to mess with it really. So far I've been playing under the beta drivers for BF 3 285.38 and so far no artifacts.
Score
!