Sign in with
Your question

Need a high tier graphic card(s) for my first gaming rig. Help choose.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2011 6:44:50 PM

Hi,

I'm finally building my first gaming rig and as I have a decent budget, I'd like to shoot pretty high. I'd like to be able to play all the new games such as Battlefield 3, Skyrim, MW3 etc on as high quality settings as possible. I've selected i5 2500K for CPU and am now trying to pick a decent GPU. Everything else I'll find after this is decided.

The caveat is that I'm not in USA and have quite a humble and expensive selection to choose from. Here are some of the top cards based on tomshardware hierarchy and their local prices:

GeForce GTX 590 - 654€
Radeon HD 6990 - 602€
GeForce GTX 580 - ~400€
Radeon HD 5970 - N/A
GeForce GTX 570 - ~300€
Radeon HD 6970 - ~300€

I'm currently thinking of getting two GF GTX 580s and putting them in SLI. GF GTX 590 seems still a bit high priced and has low availability. I'm slightly preferring GeForce cards here, but I'm willing to consider AMD if there's a good reason to. The articles here seem to suggest getting two cheaper AMD cards in crossfire instead of one GeForce but what about two GeForce cards?

Is it a good idea to build my rig now, or should I wait for some new event such as a new card release or something?

Would GF GTX 580x2 be a good option here or would you suggest something else?

I admit I don't have much knowledge on the subject and all your ideas and feedback are much appreciated.

Regards,
Sander
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 7:02:50 PM

Whats your native resolution? I take it your building a high end rig with a 2500k or 2600k cpu the works?
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2011 7:32:56 PM

Dual GTX580 is the way to go if you have the budget. None of those higher tier cards showed stable performance reviews.
But note that a single GTX580 is more than enough for a single 1920 x 1200 display. To make your cards work more (till newer demanding games comes up) you could go for a 2560 x 1600 resolution display or even a dual display.

On another note, the next generation ati cards might be out by the end of this year and the nvidia (+ati) by Q1 2012. The fact that PCI express 3.0 standard getting ready already and next generations cards will have a die shrink to 28nm means we might see significant improvement in the next generation graphic cards. Fingers crossed x.x
Related resources
November 1, 2011 9:49:34 PM

gnomio said:
Whats your native resolution? I take it your building a high end rig with a 2500k or 2600k cpu the works?

Yes, the CPU is going to be 2500k.

I'm thinking of getting a 24'' monitor so 1920x1080 probably. Perhaps in this case double GTX580 are a bit of an overshoot and I should perhaps get one and get the second one later as an upgrade, when prices are lower and I could actually use the resources on newer games. With a single GTX580 Battlefield 3 plays 55FPS at ultra quality and 1920x1080 which should probably be enough.

The FPS values at 2xGTX580 and 1xGTX590 are quite tempting though :) .

What do you think?

perfectblue said:
Dual GTX580 is the way to go if you have the budget. None of those higher tier cards showed stable performance reviews.
But note that a single GTX580 is more than enough for a single 1920 x 1200 display. To make your cards work more (till newer demanding games comes up) you could go for a 2560 x 1600 resolution display or even a dual display.

On another note, the next generation ati cards might be out by the end of this year and the nvidia (+ati) by Q1 2012. The fact that PCI express 3.0 standard getting ready already and next generations cards will have a die shrink to 28nm means we might see significant improvement in the next generation graphic cards. Fingers crossed x.x

I think I'll be sticking with a 1920x1080 monitor still although perhaps dual monitors would be useful. Would there be a significant price reduction for current cards once new ones come out? My fingers are pretty itchy, but if the prices are going to get bumped down this year, I might wait for christmas.
a c 198 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 1, 2011 10:13:08 PM

+1 to the guy above me, you really don't need 2 GTX580's for a 1920x1080, one will most likely do fine, if you want later you can just save some money, get one, and when the 1-card setup starts to lag get another one and you'll be on top of the game again.
November 1, 2011 10:15:32 PM

Sounds good. I'll be going with a single GTX580 then. Thanks guys.
!