Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes - BSOD - sometimes

Last response: in Memory
February 12, 2013 5:13:26 PM

I am new - at pretty much all of this - so please forgive me if I am asking my question in the wrong place at the wrong time...

For the last two weeks my computer shuts down at random. At first, I thought it was my graphics card because it only seemed to happen during games. Occasionally, I will get a BSOD (sorry, I'll write it all down the next time it pops up). One about the page fault in non-paged area... something similar to that.
I'm sure I've gone about this all wrong, but I've looked on several forum and nothing I've tried worked.

I started with SpeedFan, just to make sure nothing was overheating.
I ran Malwarebytes and nothing came back.
I will say at this point that I did read about faulty RAM, but I don't know how to confirm or fix something like that.
I did a clean install of Windows 7 (I might hear groans here).
All driver updates and Windows updates have been done.
I actually thought that fixed it. I had my daughter play Minecraft (which had immediately crashed the computer the day before) and everything was fine.
Today, it crashed and wouldn't even turn back on. No BSOD's. Let it sit for awhile and it turned back on. Froze in the middle of trying to type on this forum.

Just let me know what specs you need - I know I didn't give much, and thanks in advance for any help.

More about : computer crashes bsod

a b } Memory
February 12, 2013 5:48:17 PM

The page fault error message usually means there's a problem with your hard drive. Press Windows Key +R. In the box, type (or paste): Chkdsk /f /r

If that doesn't help, get into your BIOS and see if there is a S.M.A.R.T. tool to test your hard drive for errors.

To test your RAM, download MemTest86+ .
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:23:20 PM

I forgot to mention that I ran the diagnostics test that comes with the HP. It didn't come back with any errors for the hard drive or the RAM. I will do those things you suggested though. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 7:26:45 PM

Just to ask... I've had this computer for about 3 years now. I have another one that I bought at the same time. I know all computers are different, but if it is the hard drive - that would be the 3rd one in so many years. Is there something that would cause that? I don't frequent places that carry viruses.
m
l
February 12, 2013 7:50:47 PM

T_T said:
The page fault error message usually means there's a problem with your hard drive. Press Windows Key +R. In the box, type (or paste): Chkdsk /f /r

If that doesn't help, get into your BIOS and see if there is a S.M.A.R.T. tool to test your hard drive for errors.

To test your RAM, download MemTest86+ .

I'm sorry, but I'm trying to work with the MemTest86+ by making a bootable USB, but I'm being told the .iso is an invalid format. I'm not sure how to get this to run on my sick machine.

Also, I tried the CHkdsk /f /r - command prompt flashed on the screen for a split second and then nothing happened.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 12, 2013 9:48:17 PM

Sorry, I skipped a step. Type cmd in the small box, then in the command prompt, type chkdsk /f /r.

As for MT86+, if you use the .iso, you'll have to burn the disc image to a cd. Use a cd, because the file is small. Burning on anything else would be a waste of disc. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 can burn disc images natively, meaning no third-party software. Simply double click on the disc image file (the .iso file) to open the burning software in Windows. Once the disc is created, leave it in the drive and restart your computer. Test should begin upon restart.

If you want to make a bootable USB drive to run MT86+, click on the "Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)" link. Put the file on your USB device. Restart computer. Test should begin upon startup.
m
l
!