Sign in with
Your question

Newly Built System 'potential dangerous object' file

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2011 5:19:16 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with an inquiry that I have. I recently build my own system for the first time using this setup;

CPU = Intel Core i5-2500K

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P Intel Z68

Cooling = Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cool

Graphics = ATI Radeon 6950

PSU = 750W corsair

Case = CM HAF 922

Ram = corsair 2x4gb ddr3

HDD = 1TB samsung sata

OS = windows 7

I created this setup with gaming in mind such as SWTOR, BF3, Skyrim and so on with relative ease and everything is running fairly smoothly now that I have finished installing drivers and updates etc. The issue I have is with my AVG, I ran a full system scan and had this 'warning'

'C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\bg.dll Corrupted executable file Potential dangerous object

As I have little to no knowledge of computers, I'm slightly concerned and wonder if I should simply delete/move the file or is this a serious issue?

Cheers

a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 5:24:13 PM

Reinstall your Motherboard drivers, use the latest ones from Gig's site and you should be fine,
its just telling you a file is corrupted, its not like an actual virus,
also,I'd use microsoft security essentials over avg for win7, especiallly 64bit systems, thats just my experience though
Moto
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 5:27:34 PM

If you delete the file and something from Gigabyte tries to use it, it could crash your computer.

That being said, it might be better than the alternative if it is a virus of some kind.

You may want to try renaming it to bgdll.old or something and see if it affects stability before you delete it entirely.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 6:07:08 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. A dll is not an executable, anyway, so AVG is off on the wrong foot already. They like to flag anything that meets certain criteria, and not all of it is a thing. What do you want for nothin'? I use Norton Internet Security.
December 28, 2011 6:54:25 PM

DLLs are the best place to install rootkits on Windows computers, arguably.

Don't discount the power of DLLs, they control every single thing the computer does.

When you want to, say, list all the files in a given directory you would use the DIR command and it would call a subroutine inside a DLL file that knows how to do that. If that DLL was infected with malware it could have a subroutine that says "If the filename is "hacked.exe", don't print this on the screen" and you could never use the DIR command and see a file of a certain file name ever again.

This is extremely powerful control over the very basic functionality upon which everything is built.

I wouldn't just brush it off, if it were me.

False positives suck. I agree with that. However, the potential drawbacks of a false negative are worse.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 7:22:31 PM

Raiddinn said:
DLLs are the best place to install rootkits on Windows computers, arguably.

Don't discount the power of DLLs, they control every single thing the computer does.

When you want to, say, list all the files in a given directory you would use the DIR command and it would call a subroutine inside a DLL file that knows how to do that. If that DLL was infected with malware it could have a subroutine that says "If the filename is "hacked.exe", don't print this on the screen" and you could never use the DIR command and see a file of a certain file name ever again.

This is extremely powerful control over the very basic functionality upon which everything is built.

I wouldn't just brush it off, if it were me.

False positives suck. I agree with that. However, the potential drawbacks of a false negative are worse.

I wasn't saying that dlls aren't potentially dangerous, I was saying the AVG got it wrong insofar as they identified it as an executable: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\bg.dll Corrupted executable file Potential dangerous object". I still wouldn't worry about it. It looks like it's in the driver folder for the mobo, and that is an unlikely place to find malware in a new build.

Do what Motopsychojdn said, and forget about it. If you're still nervous, use one of Norton's free scans to double-check. Don't use McAfee online---it will load you up with adware.
December 28, 2011 7:30:34 PM

People have gotten malware within 5 minutes of being connected to the internet before. That is faster than most people can download critical security updates that keep them out a lot of times.

It seems unlikely, but it is possible.

I would rename the file and see what happens before I forgot about it.

Also, DLLs and EXEs are not that different from a programming perspective.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 7:40:49 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Reinstall your Motherboard drivers, use the latest ones from Gig's site and you should be fine,
its just telling you a file is corrupted, its not like an actual virus,
also,I'd use microsoft security essentials over avg for win7, especiallly 64bit systems, thats just my experience though
Moto

I love it :)  , Microsoft security essentials is a great AV.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 7:42:19 PM

matt164 said:

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P Intel Z68

'C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\ET6\bg.dll Corrupted executable file Potential dangerous object

Easytune6, Gigabyte's Performance software.
Uninstall it
Find and delete the folder
Download the latest version and reinstall
If AVG finds it again, disregard
December 29, 2011 9:39:26 AM

Cheers for the fast responses, I'll get 'round to fixing it later today! Glad it isn't anything too serious, I was worried I had damaged the hardware whilst installing.

Thanks again!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 3:50:26 PM

Nah, easily (well, relatively) sorted hehe,
Glad we could help
Moto
!