System not turning on

sangeeth96

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hi to all,

I'm having a small problem. Recently, I purchased a new RAM, a 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (Forgot the manufacturer). I tried installing the RAM on my PC. So, I removed the case and put in the RAM and made sure it was tight. Then I tried turning the PC on. The system is already having a 2GB DDR2 RAM. But the problem is that the PC just wouldn't turn ON. I again removed the new RAM and installed it again and tightened it. Again tried turning it ON but nothing appears on the screen. There's power and all the things are turning on (except keyboard). My internal speakers are not working so I can't hear the beep sound too. But the fans are working and all the devices are turning on. I tried connecting the monitor cables and other cables outside the cabinet tightly but still, nothing would appear on the screen. I thought the RAM was faulty and I removed the new one and put back the case and turned it on. But even after removing the new RAM, the condition is the same. The PC wouldn't display anything on the monitor. I'm quite confused here. I don't know what exactly is the problem.

I need to know what may have caused the PC not to start and I need to know some ways to fix this. Please reply ASAP.

sangeeth96

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Incompatible? But the RAM fits perfectly. But anyway, the system is not turning on even after the RAM has been taken out. It's not even operating with the old RAM. Do you know how to fix this please? I need to get it ON first only with the old RAM. After trying the new RAM, whether it is incompatible or not, it's not starting. Please, how can I fix this? I need help fast.

sandyy24

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
take out the CMOS battery and reinsert it, that'd reset your bios....switch it on with ONLY the old ram and see if it turns on....if it does, shut it down again....SWAP the old one for new one...(take old out, put in the new) if it doesnt, you'd know the fault is in the RAM and if it does then maybe the slot you used for it before is faulty...and if the CMOS resetting doesnt work even with the old ram, check all the power cables, data cables....if it still doesnt work, get a new mobo speaker and see what error it actually shows. BIOS may not boot for multiple reasons but it cant be diagnosed with just guesses.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I agree. First pull your battery and leave it out for a few minutes then reinsert it. Then try with your original ram and see what happens. Ram compatibility has little to do with "it fits". Get your PC running with the old setup first then come back here and we'll discuss adding more ram.

Read your motherboard manual:

- a single stick of RAM has a specific slot to go in. You can't just pick one.
- two sticks of RAM are the same. You have to put them in the proper slots.

If you still have problems then check all your connections, maybe you screwed something up when you opened up your case.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

The fact that the ram fits into the DIMM slots has nothing to do with weather the mobo is compatible with the ram you insert. All DDR2 ram chips fit in DDR2 slots, but all Mobos do not work with all types of DDR2 ram.
Try reseting your CMOS to see if you can get your system running for now (with the old ram only).