Sign in with
Your question

Buying a Processor - i7 3930k, 3820, or Ivy Bridge

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2012 8:05:24 AM

Hello Everyone,

I didn't place this thread under new builds because I have all the components except one - the CPU. I'm waiting to see if anyone knows how much a price drop we can expect in the i7 3930k and 3820 after Ivy Bridge comes out. Is it worth it to wait for the price drop? Will there be a price drop? Or should I just pick up an Ivy Bridge or go with Sandy Bridge? I will be overclocking. Any advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Main Components:
motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
ram: Corsair Vengeance 1600 4x4gb (16gb)
graphics: GTX 680 SLI
cooler: Corsair Hydro H100

a c 81 à CPUs
April 5, 2012 8:32:26 AM

what socket is that board?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2012 9:23:16 AM

What are your uses? If it's just gaming go with the 3820 and OC the hell out of it. (maybe spend the savings on your budget on water cooling) You'll have one killer machine.

It's going to be a while until LGA 2011 IvyBridge-E CPUs come out (mid next year).
a c 81 à CPUs
April 5, 2012 9:50:23 AM

well you can't use ivy bridge, the E platforms are distant enough from the normal platforms that you shouldn't expect any price drop, ivy bridge is a minor update, thats all it was ever intended to be, ivb is 1155 only.
April 5, 2012 10:00:57 AM

Thanks for the advice - I missed that fact that Ivy Bridge is LGA 1155. Makes me feel kinda silly now. The rig is for gaming mostly, but I will also be doing some photo-video editing work.
a c 81 à CPUs
April 5, 2012 10:13:51 AM

so the questions is what can you afford in the 2011 range, and go for that, there's no ivy-E till mid 2013 apparently, so you'd may-as-well bite the bullet
April 5, 2012 10:52:35 AM

SLI GTX 680? Unless your gunna be bitcoin farming thats a bit of an overkill! But yeah, as the others said expect the price of the current sandy bridge-e processors to stay pretty consistent until the release of ivy bridge-e.
a c 479 à CPUs
April 5, 2012 11:33:11 PM

13thmonkey said:
so the questions is what can you afford in the 2011 range, and go for that, there's no ivy-E till mid 2013 apparently, so you'd may-as-well bite the bullet

And by then Haswell should be out.
April 5, 2012 11:49:18 PM

Superslacker,

Since you already bought the 2011 socket motherboard - if you feel like spending a cool $600+ for the processor, you might as well go all out and get the 3930K (well, there is the $1,000 3960X, but I think the returns on performance are small compared to the price increase). Since you do photo/video editing, the 6-core would be more future-proof and let you game, edit videos, stream videos, etc. simultaneously. You should be aware that the fate of the IB-E chips are a little nebulous; there have been rumors that they will be "delayed", while some have speculated (just people's opinions, nothing that Intel has actually said) that the Ivy Bridge enthusiast line will be skipped over, because Intel is going to want to push Haswell mid-2013. So, if one of the reasons you went with the 2011 socket is you might have planned to upgrade from SB-E to IB-E, I wouldn't count on it. The 3930K will certainly go strong for a few years into the future though.

The other option is to send your 2011 socket mobo back, and get either a new Z77 or Z68 chipset 1155 motherboard, then wait for Ivy since it should be only a little more than 3 weeks away. Or get Sandy if you can't wait, it will be most likely be similar performance, just may use a tad more power than Ivy.
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 12:16:27 AM

There won't be any price drops. Never is for intel CPUs of different sockets. i7 920 are still $300.
April 6, 2012 4:34:02 AM

ebalong said:
Superslacker,

Since you already bought the 2011 socket motherboard - if you feel like spending a cool $600+ for the processor, you might as well go all out and get the 3930K (well, there is the $1,000 3960X, but I think the returns on performance are small compared to the price increase). Since you do photo/video editing, the 6-core would be more future-proof and let you game, edit videos, stream videos, etc. simultaneously. You should be aware that the fate of the IB-E chips are a little nebulous; there have been rumors that they will be "delayed", while some have speculated (just people's opinions, nothing that Intel has actually said) that the Ivy Bridge enthusiast line will be skipped over, because Intel is going to want to push Haswell mid-2013. So, if one of the reasons you went with the 2011 socket is you might have planned to upgrade from SB-E to IB-E, I wouldn't count on it. The 3930K will certainly go strong for a few years into the future though.

The other option is to send your 2011 socket mobo back, and get either a new Z77 or Z68 chipset 1155 motherboard, then wait for Ivy since it should be only a little more than 3 weeks away. Or get Sandy if you can't wait, it will be most likely be similar performance, just may use a tad more power than Ivy.

Thanks for the advice. Making sure my computer is still adequate 4 years from now is my goal. The original line of thinking was to go with the 3930k to last as long as possible. But the 3820 was also a possibility. If I had known the Ivy Bridge processors being released now was LGA 1155, I wouldn't have posted this thread at all. All in all, I just feel a bit silly. I haven't built a PC in 10 years - been laptops for a while for a variety of reasons.
!