Sign in with
Your question

Can't get past BIOS screen! Please help!

Last response: in Systems
December 28, 2011 6:15:26 PM

OK I guess I'll start off by giving you my specs.

Intel Q6600 OC'd to 3.0 GHZ
Radeon 6770
4 GB DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo

It's a dated system that I put a new video card in so I could play SWTOR on higher settings. I also originally believed my old video card was the problem but the issue I'm about to explain has continued with the 6770.

Now onto the issue. During prolonged gaming sessions (multiple hours) my computer would randomly restart. No BSOD. Just restart. So I turned off the auto restart feature of Windows 7 and it still would just restart without any kind of message. I would pull up event viewer and it just said something to the extent of "Windows shut down unexpectedly."

So I decided to start the process of elimination. I ran memtest over night and it turns out the RAM is fine. So then I thought maybe the CPU is getting too hot during stress and that is the problem. So I check the heatsink and it turns out it wasn't seated properly. One of the clamps didn't go completely through the mobo. So I remove the fan and heatsink (it was a combo, Zalman thingy) and clean off the thermal paste using Isopropyl and Q-tips. I then reapply thermal paste, properly seat the heatsink and fan and restart. I go into the BIOS and restore everything to default, removing my OC. (wanted to keep the processer as cool as possible to eliminate that as the culprit).

I restart and now it I get a beep (as usual), the BIOS screen pops up telling me to hit Del to enter setup however it is completely non-responsive and locks up at this screen.

What the heck do I do now?

I tried removing the CMOS battery and rebooting but that didn't help.

More about : past bios screen

December 28, 2011 8:09:50 PM

Double checked the application of thermal paste and it looks good. None where it shouldn't be. I really am at a loss here. Not sure what I can do to fix the issue! I went through the check list and short of my PSU being bad I'm not sure what else it could be? Would a PSU issue cause the computer to lock up on the BIOS splash screen?
December 28, 2011 8:21:52 PM

Ok another update, I removed 3 of the 4 sticks of RAM and it booted up just fine. Now I'm really confused. Does memtest only check 1 slot of RAM by default? The reason I ask is because it complete 9 tests over night and passed them all. Or could my PSU be so close to dying that the extra power draw from those RAM slots is preventing it from booting? Also would the memory cause the random reboots I was experiencing earlier?

Update: I added 1 stick of RAM and it booted. So then I switched those two sticks of RAM with my other two and it booted. I then added all 4 sticks of RAM and it won't boot.

Update I switched which slots the two pieces of RAM were in from Yellow/Yellow to Black/Black and it booted. Still won't boot with 4 sticks of RAM. Going to try manually setting the timings in the BIOS.
Related resources
December 28, 2011 9:20:45 PM

Yes, Get A New PSU, And Make Sure Its A Good One, It Wont Go To Waste Even If Thats Not The Problem, You Could Alwayse Use It In Your Next Machine. If Theres Any More Issues Holler Back
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 9:26:39 PM

Cru3lty said:
Ok another update, I removed 3 of the 4 sticks of RAM and it booted up just fine. Now I'm really confused. Does memtest only check 1 slot of RAM by default? The reason I ask is because it complete 9 tests over night and passed them all. Or could my PSU be so close to dying that the extra power draw from those RAM slots is preventing it from booting? Also would the memory cause the random reboots I was experiencing earlier?

Update: I added 1 stick of RAM and it booted. So then I switched those two sticks of RAM with my other two and it booted. I then added all 4 sticks of RAM and it won't boot.

Update I switched which slots the two pieces of RAM were in from Yellow/Yellow to Black/Black and it booted. Still won't boot with 4 sticks of RAM. Going to try manually setting the timings in the BIOS.

Have you tried each stick on it's own, to rule out a bad one ?

It's always reccomended to set timings and voltage to manufacturers spec.

Those boards weren't fond of having all the slots full, and weren't the greatest for overclocking Quads, could try upping the Northbridge voltage 1 notch.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 28, 2011 9:33:58 PM

did the memory have manually set voltage that was lost when you reset BIOS ?
December 28, 2011 11:01:58 PM

I don't think I ever manually set voltage. I could be wrong as I did the OC 4 years ago. I can get the computer to work with three sticks but not four. (this is with any combination of the RAM in any of the slots)

Right now I have the computer running at the stock 2.4 GHZ. I just replaced the fan on it and it is keeping it nice and cool at 34C. So I thing overheating and CPU is definitely ruled out.

That leaves me with the memory or the PSU. I'll try manually setting the voltage and see if it will let me boot with 4 sticks.

Update: Still can't boot with 4 sticks of memory. I have no idea why, setting the memory voltage didn't help. What is a safe voltage to put the NB at? There are quite a few options, I have it at auto right now.
October 17, 2012 12:31:27 AM

How many beeps does the mobo do? Long beeps or short beeps ?
!