Video Card Dead?

Chaosed0

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
So, this morning I turned on my graphics card and its fans were stuttering. I got no display. I did some troubleshooting steps such as reseating everything and unplugging everything but the ncessary, but this didn't work. I then switched to my onboard graphics, which worked just fine. When I booted, it gave me an error: "Warning: System boot fail" and explained that either boot failed or POST was interrupted. I updated the BIOS to no avail.
My main question is: Is this the graphics card, the PSU, or the motherboard? Can just the graphics card interrupt POST, or is this some more serious issue? I already sent in an RMA to Gigabyte, but I want to make sure. I have no parts on hand to try to replace with, and I'd rather not bring my computer to a shop to get it looked at (have no car, and a desktop computer).

Here's my build:
Vid Card: Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI GTX 460
Motherboard: ASUS P5n73-AM
Power supply: OCZ ModXStream 700W
RAM: 4GB DDR2 OCZ (don't remember exact model, don't think this is the problem)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Miscellaneous: Tuniq CR-T120-EX-SV, ASUS wireless-n card

Chaosed0

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry, I was a little unclear. I can boot fine into Windows 7 using my onboard graphics - after the "Warning: System boot fail," I just hit F1 to continue and it goes on its merry way. The thing is, Windows doesn't even recognize that the other card is there; under display adapters, it only has the onboard video listed.

psyco_kitty

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Unfortunately this means that your card is most likely dead. I would recommend sending in the card for an RMA. You should only have to pay shipping, or if you bought it from a physical store, take it in and have them honor the outstanding warranty (If its still valid of course).

Just for kicks try plugging the card into another computer (Just borrow a friends if you dont have an extra) and see if you can get the card to work.

Hope you figure it out!
-Psyco_Kitty

Chaosed0

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Alright, thanks anyway. Just wanted to make sure it was the vid card and not something else.
It's kind of unfortunate that I have no one nearby to swap parts with.

psyco_kitty

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

If you can take it into a local computer repair shop (not bestbuy) and just ask if they'll plug in the card for you to verify that it's truly dead. The repair shop shouldent charge you anything. It also could be a problem with your PCI slot on the motherboard, but this is extremely rare and I would highly doubt it.