Sign in with
Your question

Processor and motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2012 9:41:36 AM

Hi there

can any advise, I have read the CPU guide but still not sure what I need. I'm looking at building a PC, I would like to have a dual socket motherboard with two processors at the high end. I have been doing a little research to see what processors are the best, below are the ones I am looking at. I would like to create an all round PC which would be used for everything Multitasking(applications), video editng/rendering,3D rendering, Audio/sound recording Applications(Cubase,Reason),gaming, multimonitor(looking at 3 monitor set up,)so I guess need to take this into account when selecting montherboard, Yes? Also Looking at 64GB RAM and/or more.

It starts gettting a little confusing after a while, :o 
can anyone help?

ok, these are the processors;

1.)Intel Xeon E5-2690 S2011, Sandy Bridge, 8 Core, 2.9GHz, 20MB Cache, 135W
2.)Intel Xeon X5690 Six Core, 3.46GHz, 6.4GT/s QPI, 12MB Cache, 26x Core Ratio, 130W
3.)Intel Xeon E5-2687W Socket 2011, Sandy Bridge Extreme, Eight Core/Sixteen Thread, 3.10GHz, 20MB Smart Cache, 150W
4.)Intel® Xeon® X5687 Quad Core, 3.60GHz, 12MB Cache, 6.4GT/s Intel® QPI

5.)Intel Core i7-3960X 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache, Sandy Bridge, Socket 2011, Intel Turbo Boost Technology
(can this be dual processor? I just read that the dual socket motherboards do not support i7, is this true?)

Motherboards:
I only looked on intels website for motherboards and they are calling them server boards?

these two:

1.) http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelproduct...

2.)http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelproduct...

any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks for any help

:) 

More about : processor motherboard

a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 7:21:25 PM

With the right high-end board and the 3960x, there is no need for a dual processor system for what you'll be using it for. I built a data server at work that has 8-10 people constantly logging in and out, copying files, running data analysis software on an Asus board with the i7-990x with 24G of RAM with no issues at all. The most intensive operation will probably be gaming and a lot of users have a solid board and an i7 or even an i5 overclocked and run smoothly.

What gave you the idea that you need a dual processor system?
If you just feel like having one, if anything just for bragging rights, I can certainly guide you but you can build a high-end gamer that will handle all of those tasks easily.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, did I miss something?
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 7:23:40 PM

Out of all of the processors, the xeon e5-2690's are the best. They are much better for rendering and literally the best system you can get atm. All you need to do is add a nice ssd drive and possibly a quadro graphics card and you will be set.
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 7:24:45 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
With the right high-end board and the 3960x, there is no need for a dual processor system for what you'll be using it for. I built a data server at work that has 8-10 people constantly logging in and out, copying files, running data analysis software on an Asus board with the i7-990x with 24G of RAM with no issues at all. The most intensive operation will probably be gaming and a lot of users have a solid board and an i7 or even an i5 overclocked and run smoothly.

What gave you the idea that you need a dual processor system?
If you just feel like having one, if anything just for bragging rights, I can certainly guide you but you can build a high-end gamer that will handle all of those tasks easily.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, did I miss something?

He is 3d rendering, his programs can take advantage of the 16 cores and 32 threads. Not gaming, just rendering. After all, this is a workstation build.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 9:32:21 PM

Hi :) 

Budget ???

All the best Brett :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:37:27 PM

amuffin said:
Out of all of the processors, the xeon e5-2690's are the best. They are much better for rendering and literally the best system you can get atm. All you need to do is add a nice ssd drive and possibly a quadro graphics card and you will be set.

Yes, I'm agree that for 3Drendering dual E5-2690 is the best choise for today but choisen MB's is LGA1366, not LGA2011. To run those E5-2690 you need MB on the Intel's chip C602, for example this one: http://hard.rozetka.com.ua/motherboards/c80082/21260=16...;21262=14734;25704=20259/
it costs near 600 bucks but dont support SAS harddrives (I think so, but can probably be wrong)

About SSDs - I've heard and also read many about that they are bad choise for cashing data or bootfile or using it for virtual memory in 3D-renders (if you rendering still images it isn't so critical - just turn it off - lot of RAM memory can make this process muth faster), but for animation you need fast virtual memory and SSD's can die during rendering (they are self-formating all the data in themselves after numerous read-write operations and afterwhile they dies). Better choise for today will be RAID 0 with couple SATA3 Velociraptors 10000Rpm or even better will be RAID 0 with couple of SAS 15000Rpm HDDs.

One more word about LGA2011 - it's a new platfofm (1366 will be cheaper, but weeker (not so powerfull) and nothing new woun't expectable on it) and later will be new muth powerfull hi-end solutions - Ivy-bridge 22nm under the same huge LGA2011 socket + this processors already has integrated 40 lines of PCI-E v,3.0 (new double-bandwithed interface - this means you can install 1xQuadro+2xTesla's in 16x-16x-16x mode + powerfull RAID controller in x4 mode to maximize speed of your RAID 0) & 4-chanell DDR3 controller.
!