Processor and motherboard

northenviking

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hi there

can any advise, I have read the CPU guide but still not sure what I need. I'm looking at building a PC, I would like to have a dual socket motherboard with two processors at the high end. I have been doing a little research to see what processors are the best, below are the ones I am looking at. I would like to create an all round PC which would be used for everything Multitasking(applications), video editng/rendering,3D rendering, Audio/sound recording Applications(Cubase,Reason),gaming, multimonitor(looking at 3 monitor set up,)so I guess need to take this into account when selecting montherboard, Yes? Also Looking at 64GB RAM and/or more.

It starts gettting a little confusing after a while, :eek:
can anyone help?

ok, these are the processors;

1.)Intel Xeon E5-2690 S2011, Sandy Bridge, 8 Core, 2.9GHz, 20MB Cache, 135W
2.)Intel Xeon X5690 Six Core, 3.46GHz, 6.4GT/s QPI, 12MB Cache, 26x Core Ratio, 130W
3.)Intel Xeon E5-2687W Socket 2011, Sandy Bridge Extreme, Eight Core/Sixteen Thread, 3.10GHz, 20MB Smart Cache, 150W
4.)Intel® Xeon® X5687 Quad Core, 3.60GHz, 12MB Cache, 6.4GT/s Intel® QPI

5.)Intel Core i7-3960X 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache, Sandy Bridge, Socket 2011, Intel Turbo Boost Technology
(can this be dual processor? I just read that the dual socket motherboards do not support i7, is this true?)

Motherboards:
I only looked on intels website for motherboards and they are calling them server boards?

these two:

1.) http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelproducts/boxedboarddetails.html?product_id=92153&originating_from=boxed_boards&pagination_page=3&pagination_pageSize=10&

2.)http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/buy/intelproducts/boxedboarddetails.html?product_id=92158&originating_from=boxed_boards&pagination_page=3&pagination_pageSize=10&

any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks for any help

:)

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
With the right high-end board and the 3960x, there is no need for a dual processor system for what you'll be using it for. I built a data server at work that has 8-10 people constantly logging in and out, copying files, running data analysis software on an Asus board with the i7-990x with 24G of RAM with no issues at all. The most intensive operation will probably be gaming and a lot of users have a solid board and an i7 or even an i5 overclocked and run smoothly.

What gave you the idea that you need a dual processor system?
If you just feel like having one, if anything just for bragging rights, I can certainly guide you but you can build a high-end gamer that will handle all of those tasks easily.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, did I miss something?

Out of all of the processors, the xeon e5-2690's are the best. They are much better for rendering and literally the best system you can get atm. All you need to do is add a nice ssd drive and possibly a quadro graphics card and you will be set.

He is 3d rendering, his programs can take advantage of the 16 cores and 32 threads. Not gaming, just rendering. After all, this is a workstation build.

G

Yes, I'm agree that for 3Drendering dual E5-2690 is the best choise for today but choisen MB's is LGA1366, not LGA2011. To run those E5-2690 you need MB on the Intel's chip C602, for example this one: http://hard.rozetka.com.ua/motherboards/c80082/21260=16284;21262=14734;25704=20259/
it costs near 600 bucks but dont support SAS harddrives (I think so, but can probably be wrong)

About SSDs - I've heard and also read many about that they are bad choise for cashing data or bootfile or using it for virtual memory in 3D-renders (if you rendering still images it isn't so critical - just turn it off - lot of RAM memory can make this process muth faster), but for animation you need fast virtual memory and SSD's can die during rendering (they are self-formating all the data in themselves after numerous read-write operations and afterwhile they dies). Better choise for today will be RAID 0 with couple SATA3 Velociraptors 10000Rpm or even better will be RAID 0 with couple of SAS 15000Rpm HDDs.

One more word about LGA2011 - it's a new platfofm (1366 will be cheaper, but weeker (not so powerfull) and nothing new woun't expectable on it) and later will be new muth powerfull hi-end solutions - Ivy-bridge 22nm under the same huge LGA2011 socket + this processors already has integrated 40 lines of PCI-E v,3.0 (new double-bandwithed interface - this means you can install 1xQuadro+2xTesla's in 16x-16x-16x mode + powerfull RAID controller in x4 mode to maximize speed of your RAID 0) & 4-chanell DDR3 controller.