Sign in with
Your question
Solved

24 pin connector is a bit of a tight fit

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 12, 2013 10:35:35 PM

Hey, I am pretty sure this is ok, but the 24 pin connector is a tight fit. I just have to apply so moderate pressure. Is this ok?
Thanks, Alex

More about : pin connector bit tight fit

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 10:42:11 PM

Yes, it should be like this, so that little kids/cats running about/under the table with open rig couldn't accidentally pull the cord off during the work.
There are many people who don't close their cases and even hang their PSUs outside cases (lying on a table, near the case, for example), so this safety measure is crucial to them.
It also applies to people who use open-stands majority of the time, like hardware reviewers and some enthusiasts.
It's absolutely fine, it's a necessary safety measure that's been around since Pentium II times, if I remember correctly.
February 12, 2013 10:47:36 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I had a defective psu before that would only into it like 1 cm and I called the manufacturer and he said that it was probably defective, so I refunded and got another. This one is a lot easier to put in put still a tad hard. I freaked out a lot but now I am happy because it will work!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 10:48:15 PM

Best answer selected by Nightfeather.
m
l
February 12, 2013 10:48:31 PM

Sorry for double post but thank for repliying in like 5 min! I was like what in the world, lol
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 10:51:29 PM

NightFeather said:
Thanks for replying.

You're always welcome.
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:23:20 PM

This is a bit off topic, bu is it ok to leave my computer on the caret? It is really compressed, and the case stands are pretty tall. Also, my room is moderately to very clean. So is it ok?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2013 11:33:14 PM

NightFeather said:
on the caret

What do you mean by "caret"? Wheels? Your case is on wheels?
m
l
February 13, 2013 2:45:09 AM

xD No, I meant carpet. I have no idea why spell check didn't catch that, xD
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 3:11:56 AM

Well, if your case has a decent clearing at the bottom (minimum 2cm), then you can put it on a carpet just fine, as long as you clean that spot every 4~8 weeks or so.
Otherwise, it's better to move it higher or to attach wheels (if any) to it.
Wheels usually give a very nice amount of additional clearing (on my HAF X, for example, attachment of wheels gives more than 4cm of additional clearing).
m
l
February 13, 2013 8:05:13 PM

ok, thanks I might get a piece of something flat and hard and out it under the computer to add even more room. I have 2cm, but the stands are 3 cm, so ill try to get that;
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 8:32:26 PM

I've always put my cases on carpet, going back 15 years, and never had a problem. I can't see why it would be a problem unless there was an intake vent on the bottom of the case (none of mine have ever had that). All the ones I've ever used have had little rubber pads on the bottom, which give them a few millimeters of clearance, but nothing more.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 9:12:23 PM

mbreslin1954 said:
Unless there was an intake vent on the bottom of the case.

Exactly that. More than 90% of modern cases are made with bottom PSU mounting and thus with bottom ventilation. I don't like this myself, but this is where the industry has completely gone in the last 5 years. It's much harder to find a good "upper PSU mount" case today, than to find a case with bottom PSU mounting. It's basically a standard now.
m
l
a c 94 V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 9:20:54 PM

NightFeather said:
This is a bit off topic, bu is it ok to leave my computer on the caret?

Most cases have front-to-back airflow so it does not really matter how close to the floor the case's bottom is.

Even with cases that have bottom-mounted PSUs, the PSU is usually 1/4-1/2" off the bottom of the case so even if carpet completely blocked the bottom vent, the PSU would still be able to 'breathe' through the sides within the case.

One thing I would worry about when putting a bottom-mounted PSU in a bottom-vented case would be sparks burning/igniting the carpet if the PSU blows up. PSUs do not blow up in such a spectacular manner very often but it happens.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2013 9:37:17 PM

InvalidError said:
1/4-1/2"

Not enough, man...not enough... :\

InvalidError said:
Would still be able to 'breathe' through the sides

More like "suffocate". >_>

InvalidError said:
Sparks burning/igniting the carpet if the PSU blows up. It happens.

Wooow that's one shitty PSU you had there, bro... %)
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:34:23 AM

Thanks everyone! I just finished building it and it is all set up! Just finished installing drivers and anti-virus. I am so happy! First computer build was epic. I hav a weird platform thing that I put on the carpet so it wont die. :) 
m
l
a c 94 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 1:44:30 AM

master_chen said:
Not enough, man...not enough... :\

More like "suffocate". >_>

Most cases do not have a bottom vent so laying directly on the floor/carpet without rubber feet makes no difference.

And 1/4" clearance between a bottom-mount PSU and the case's bottom panel is more than most reasonably good PSUs will ever need since that 1/4" gap is ~20" long around the PSU's perimeter. 4-5 square inches is enough cross-section to move quite a bit of air. Keep in mind that the reason we have 200mm case fans is not because the size is required to move that much air, it is because the size is required to move that air at LOW RPM to minimize fan noise. Ducting upstream/downstream from fans can be much narrower than the fans themselves with almost no impact on dynamic pressure loss.

As for "shitty PSU", no brand or model, no matter how reputable is immune to manufacturing and material defects. I have not personally had anything fail in a way that caused material damage beyond the failed component itself but not everyone is necessarily so lucky.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 1:44:56 AM

NightFeather said:
Thanks everyone! I just finished building it and it is all set up!

A couple of photos, maybe? Anyway, congratulations and have fun.
m
l
December 10, 2013 5:57:34 PM

I always put my bottom mounted psu with the fan facing up so it acts as another exhaust fan, it's optional to use the bottom mounted vents
m
l
a c 94 V Motherboard
December 10, 2013 6:08:06 PM

N_L_F 919 said:
I always put my bottom mounted psu with the fan facing up so it acts as another exhaust fan, it's optional to use the bottom mounted vents

Hot air rises. Putting your PSU fan-up does not really help anything unless you have a GPU in the bottom slot dumping hot air directly into it. For a typical single-GPU setup, the GPU is much too far for the PSU to draw any meaningful amount of warm air away from it. In all likelihood, the air entering the PSU from the top comes pretty much straight from the front intakes and putting the PSU fan-up simply makes its fan work slightly harder to prevent its own heat from rising into the case.
m
l
!