Can XP show me list of recently visted folders?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?

I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
Start menu but with folders rather than documents.

If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?
9 answers Last reply
More about show list recently visted folders
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> writes:
    >Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?

    >I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
    >Start menu but with folders rather than documents.

    >If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    >recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?

    If you peek at the details of the contents of Temporary Internet Files
    folder you can see that it maintains a "Last Accessed" date/timestamp
    for everything in there. You can sort that on any column and if you
    sort on Last Accessed then the most recently accessed files and
    folders will be at the top of the list.

    So that sounds like it is almost what you want, if you used IE to
    visit the folders on your drive, instead of say Windows explorer,
    and that is certainly possible to do..

    But there are lots of other things that get dumped into that folder
    besides the folders on your local drive, that you don't want to see.

    For a completely different reason, I'd dearly like to find a way for
    a script to get the same information on the Temporary Internet Files
    folder contents. If it were possible to do that then a little script
    might be able to sift through all of it and just show you your
    recently visited folders.

    Anyone seen any information about how a script can get all that info,
    not just the names of the items in the folder?

    Thank you
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Zak--

    This may not display the detail David is referencing in his posts, but one
    simple method I use to tell what files and folders I visit besides the info
    referenced from TIF sorting is to go to History on the IE toolbar>the "My
    Computer" entry under "M"> and I usually find the files and folders I've
    visited listed there. For some odd reason that makes no difference, there
    is an "e" icon placed by them instead of a folder icon. You can also
    mouseover and see the file path of that particular folder. Works for me.

    Chad Harris
    __________________________________

    "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
    Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?

    I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
    Start menu but with folders rather than documents.

    If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You may want something different, but if you choose view on windows explore
    menu, then select "go to" it will display all the places or folders you opened
    or visited recently. Hope that helps.

    Moe

    "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:95577D7B698F98FCE1@127.0.0.1...
    > Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?
    >
    > I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
    > Start menu but with folders rather than documents.
    >
    > If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    > recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No. And MS thinks it's a stupid idea. I asked and that's what one of the programmers said.

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:95577D7B698F98FCE1@127.0.0.1...
    > Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?
    >
    > I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
    > Start menu but with folders rather than documents.
    >
    > If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    > recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Zak--

    You might want to try out these and compare them. They're both free and
    they forecast a little of the search that might be in Longhorn instead of
    what might have been in Longhorn now that Win FS won't be as fully
    developed.

    One is an addin to Outlook you may have seen called Lookout. Lookout
    searches My Documents and Outlook. MSFT recently bought it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=09b835ee-16e5-4961-91b8-2200ba31ea37&displaylang=en

    http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/download.html

    http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/download.html

    The other is described by Paul Thurrott here--CDS. I just started looking
    at it, but I think it will do some of what you want.

    http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/43833/windowspaulthurrott_43833.html

    Description on the site:

    http://help.copernic.com/topic/desktopsearch10en/overview.htm

    Chad Harris

    "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
    Can XP show me a list of recently visted folders?

    I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on the
    Start menu but with folders rather than documents.

    If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent Documents"?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote:

    > Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> writes:
    >>
    >> Can XP show me a list of recently vested folders?
    >
    >> I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on
    >> the Start menu but with folders rather than documents.
    >
    >> If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    >> recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent
    >> Documents"?

    > If you peek at the details of the contents of Temporary
    > Internet Files folder you can see that it maintains a "Last
    > Accessed" date/timestamp for everything in there. You can sort
    > that on any column and if you sort on Last Accessed then the
    > most recently accessed files and folders will be at the top of
    > the list.
    >
    > So that sounds like it is almost what you want, if you used IE
    > to visit the folders on your drive, instead of say Windows
    > explorer, and that is certainly possible to do..
    >
    > But there are lots of other things that get dumped into that
    > folder besides the folders on your local drive, that you don't
    > want to see.

    That's interesting ... I never knew I could use Internet Explorer to browse
    my hard drive instead of Windows Explorer.

    I simply put the "folders" button on IE's toolbar and it works!

    I don't normally use XP for browsing so I could use it only for looking at
    the hard drive.

    But I think IE stores all sorts of other things on the hard drive as it
    visits places. Maybe that would lead to clutter in XP the long run? Do you
    know if that's a possible issue? I would like to know about this.

    Also there are far fewer usability preferences which can be set in IE >
    Tools > Internet Options than in Win Exp > Tools > Folder Options > View.

    For example are there command line switches (in a shortcut) when using IE to
    open a folder? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=130510

    Do you have any good links for this topic of using IE for WinExp?

    Thanks for any info.

    Zak

    PS: Have you seen ActualDoc?

    It seems to displays some MRU info for recently seen files and I think it
    may also include folders visited. The Lite version is free.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    -- snipped & trimmed ---

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote:

    > Here's a script designed for extracting object properties from
    > file folders. Because it uses shell functions rather than file
    > functions it means it can access anything about a file that
    > explorer can show. It either has a problem with TIF or MS has a
    > problem with TIF, as the last few fields get repeated which
    > does not happen on File Folders or Compressed Folders (zip
    > files).
    >
    > I implemented an addin for Windows ME that offers a Recent
    > Folder feature but it doesn't really work on XP (meaning it
    > works but would take hundreds of years to configure your
    > computer to make it work usefully whereas in ME I just had to
    > set a few registry keys and the user took 10 seconds to
    > configure.)

    Dave, is your script similar to what the program ActualDoc does?

    I have just mentioned it to Don in this thread. This is the correct link to
    its website: http://www.flexigensoft.com/actualdoc/

    As soon as you install it it seems to be able to show some history info.
    I guess it might be displaying some MRU info for recently used files.

    The Lite version is free.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    IE just loads explorer. Neither explorer.exe or iexplore.exe show internet or local drives. They load shdocvw to view both the web and local files (and shdocvw calls shell32 to show the local files).

    Explorer's job is to do Start and the Taskbar. Both explorer and IE can browse the web or local files and looks the part (as it's coming from the dlls not the exe). IE doesn't support the same switches as explorer. It's switches are webish and explorer's fileish. Tools Folder Options afect both IE and Explorer and internet options also affect both.

    This is what MS means when they say IE is integrated into windows. You can't browse local files without IE (primilary shdocvw) in a normal fashion. I think, and it was so years ago, using classic shell policy removes IE from file browsing.

    "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message news:95585E3B43A328FCE1@127.0.0.1...
    > dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote:
    > >
    > > Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> writes:
    > >>
    > >> Can XP show me a list of recently vested folders?
    > >
    > >> I am thinking of something similar to "My Recent Documents" on
    > >> the Start menu but with folders rather than documents.
    > >
    > >> If not then maybe a registry tweak would allow me to include
    > >> recently visited folders in the list shown by "My Recent
    > >> Documents"?
    >

    > > If you peek at the details of the contents of Temporary
    > > Internet Files folder you can see that it maintains a "Last
    > > Accessed" date/timestamp for everything in there. You can sort
    > > that on any column and if you sort on Last Accessed then the
    > > most recently accessed files and folders will be at the top of
    > > the list.
    > >
    > > So that sounds like it is almost what you want, if you used IE
    > > to visit the folders on your drive, instead of say Windows
    > > explorer, and that is certainly possible to do..
    > >
    > > But there are lots of other things that get dumped into that
    > > folder besides the folders on your local drive, that you don't
    > > want to see.
    >

    > That's interesting ... I never knew I could use Internet Explorer to browse
    > my hard drive instead of Windows Explorer.
    >
    > I simply put the "folders" button on IE's toolbar and it works!
    >
    > I don't normally use XP for browsing so I could use it only for looking at
    > the hard drive.
    >
    > But I think IE stores all sorts of other things on the hard drive as it
    > visits places. Maybe that would lead to clutter in XP the long run? Do you
    > know if that's a possible issue? I would like to know about this.
    >
    > Also there are far fewer usability preferences which can be set in IE >
    > Tools > Internet Options than in Win Exp > Tools > Folder Options > View.
    >
    > For example are there command line switches (in a shortcut) when using IE to
    > open a folder? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=130510
    >
    > Do you have any good links for this topic of using IE for WinExp?
    >
    > Thanks for any info.
    >
    > Zak
    >

    > PS: Have you seen ActualDoc?

    > It seems to displays some MRU info for recently seen files and I think it
    > may also include folders visited. The Lite version is free.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> writes:
    >dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote:
    >> Zak <zak@nomail.invalid> writes:
    >>> Can XP show me a list of recently vested folders?

    >> If you peek at the details of the contents of Temporary
    >> Internet Files folder you can see that it maintains a "Last
    >> Accessed" date/timestamp for everything in there.
    >>
    >> So that sounds like it is almost what you want, if you used IE
    >> to visit the folders on your drive, instead of say Windows
    >> explorer, and that is certainly possible to do..

    >That's interesting ... I never knew I could use Internet Explorer to browse
    >my hard drive instead of Windows Explorer.

    >I simply put the "folders" button on IE's toolbar and it works!

    >I don't normally use XP for browsing so I could use it only for looking at
    >the hard drive.

    >But I think IE stores all sorts of other things on the hard drive as it
    >visits places. Maybe that would lead to clutter in XP the long run? Do
    >you know if that's a possible issue? I would like to know about this.

    There is a maximum size you can set for the storage, when it gets up to
    that the oldest material will be automatically dropped. But your other
    web browsers, and I believe even things like Windows Help and other things,
    may store things in there, so I don't think you can depend on this only
    being for your folder viewing.

    >Also there are far fewer usability preferences which can be set in IE >
    >Tools > Internet Options than in Win Exp > Tools > Folder Options > View.

    >For example are there command line switches (in a shortcut) when using IE to
    >open a folder? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=130510

    >Do you have any good links for this topic of using IE for WinExp?

    Nope, sorry. But other folks posted some alternative ideas.

    >Thanks for any info.

    Glad I could give you a possible solution

    >PS: Have you seen ActualDoc?

    >It seems to displays some MRU info for recently seen files and I think it
    >may also include folders visited. The Lite version is free.

    Interesting.
    Thanks