Your question

Power psu questions

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 5, 2012 11:31:30 AM

I'm putting together a new system and have been able to answer most of my questions just going through the archive of articles here. I'm currently (subject to change) thinking of an i5-2500k with a Gigabyte Ga-Z68AP-D3 mobo. The board is rated at a 95W max. The chip is rated at 95W as well; not much leeway. I'm not planning on over-clocking right away, but I may want to down the road.
Question 1 - Will normal operation be a problem? What about over-clocking?
Also the board specs recommends “for expandability” a 500W psu minimum. I believe “for expandability” is referring to graphics cards. I'm getting the 2500k because it has HD graphics built in and I won't have to get a separate graphics card right away. If I do, the card I like will only be pulling 85W max. I currently have a 450W that I am planning on using. I have added the power consumption up in my machine and I can't see me going over 450W without using two high consumption graphics cards in Crossfire mode, which I have no interest in doing.
Question 2 – Will a 450W psu be enough since I have no graphics card? Or is there some new technology that I am unaware of that is sucking down 300W of power?http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/ouc...
Thanks in advance!

More about : power psu questions

a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 11:49:24 AM

If you're using integrated graphics, then a good quality 300W PSU would be more than enough for your rig even with some CPU overclocking. A good quality 450W PSU would support the addition of an HD6850 without overclocking. What is the make/model of your PSU?
m
l
April 5, 2012 12:34:45 PM

It's funny that you mention it because I don't see a name on it anywhere.
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 1:14:56 PM

There should be a sticker on one of the sides that lists capacity for each of the voltage rails (3.3V, 5V, and 12V) as well as a model number. You may have to remove both side panels to get a look at it....or remove the PSU (4 screws and disconnecting all the power cords). If you have to remove the PSU, then unplug the PSU and let it sit for 5 mins so residual power will be out of the PSUs capacitors....safety for you and your PC.
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:59:20 PM

Its very simple, if you wownt OC, and you dont need GPU. 450 qality GPU will be just fine for you! Thats the good for new technology Sandy-bridge. Less power consumption, more stability, more power cpu.

It will be just great!

Q1: If you wownt OC, yes. If you will OC, try a 500Watt Termaltake, or Powercooler, Coolermaster, etc 80+ at least.
Q2: just catch a 450Watt psu.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2012 2:24:11 PM

einterlan said:

Q1: If you wownt OC, yes. If you will OC, try a 500Watt Termaltake, or Powercooler, Coolermaster, etc 80+ at least.
Q2: just catch a 450Watt psu.

I would not list Thermaltake, Powercooler or Coolermaster as my recommended PSU mfrs. While Thermaltake and Coolermaster have some quality PSUs, they make some low-bad quality PSUs. A perfect example is Coolermaster Extreme Power 500W...a rebadged 400W PSU unable to provide the rated power. A short list of quality PSU mfrs: Antec, Seasonic, and Corsair. Whichever mfr is chosen, some research and reading reviews on the specific PSU being considered is always recommended.

Edit: Adding review for Coolermaster PSU I referenced: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/728
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:58:23 AM

I took the psu out and there isn't a name anywhere. There is a sticker with the volts, watts, and amps (and one showing it passed QA :D  ) The model is listed as "450W" but no brand. I've had Antec's in the past and only had one problem (after 12 years and many mobo/cpu combos). I'll probably stick with the "mystery brand" psu I have for now, and may even keep my case. I have an old ATX case without mesh or multiple fans. It just has a few holes in an X pattern on the sides and one small fan blowing out the back. I was originally looking at going with an AMD cpu but noticed how many watts they pull and was concerned with power consumption and heat. I think without OCing the 2500, no graphics card, and going with an ATX rather than a mATX, I should be ok on both the heat and power. Down the road when I want to add a graphics card, I'll probably get a quality psu (650W) and case with more airflow. Thanks for all the replies!
m
l
!