Components selected. Opinions Needed.

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
The following components are in my shopping cart and waiting to be purchased. How is it looking? (I already have the gpu, case and sata drive)

Asus P8Z68-M PRO MB, Socket 1155, Intel Z68 Chipset, 4x DDR3, HDMI, DVI, D-SUB, DP, CrossFire

CORSAIR 650W AX-650 ATX, Power Supply, 80PLUS GOLD Certified, 100% Modular, 120mm fan, SLI Re

OCZ VERTEX 3 120GB SATA III 2.5" SSD SOLID STATE DRIVE

INTEL CPU CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 BX80623I52500K

Corsair 8GB kit (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered CL 9 DIMM Memory for AMD and Intel Core i3, i5,

Total is $868 ($68 more than I would like to have spent) even though I don't plan to overclcock; I selected the 2500k because it was only $10 more than it's locked counterpart, and I may change my mind a year from now or whatever.
-Cheers.

If you ever do decide to overclock i assume it won't be by much so you can get a cheap motherboard that can get to around 4.5GHz, any Z68 and P67 should be able to do that and all K edition sandy bridge CPUs can get that high on several $20 CPU coolers like the Cooler Master Hyper 212.

A decent Z68 or P67 motherboard should cost between $80 (on sale) and $125. Most boards more expensive than that are geared towards higher overclocks and other niche uses.

I don't know what memory kit you have or how much you paid for it but a 2x4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (or similar timings) should cost between $30 and$45 and not a penny more. The first number in the timings is the CAS aka the CL.

If you don't mind having a less efficient PSU you can get a good 650w or so for about $40 in many places. That alone would bring down your budget by a huge amount if you were going to spend anywhere near as much money as I think you were on that PSU.

Get a Crucial M4 128GB or Corsair Force GT 120GB or ADATA S511 120GB or Patriot Wildfire 120GB

I know the OCZ Vortex 3 is "fast" but the ones I just listed are just as fast and more reliable, especially the first two.

Crucial M4, plug/update firmware/play+enjoy more perfromance + more reliability with the firmware update.

OCZ Vertex 3, plug/hope/play+pray it doesn't blue screen
Didn't they fixed it already?

Fix what? The OCZ? Nothing to fix tbh, its the controller that is the issue.

Crucial M4 would be one of the most reliable ssds you could buy and with its firmware update its around 50mb read slower which is not even noticable in real time.

The Corsair Force GT 120GB is as fast as the Vertex 3 and with a firmware update its WAY more stable.

Plus normally those two are cheaper than the Vertex 3 in $/GB
About 6 weeks ago they posted news that they found the bug in the firmware.

I would thing that it was fixed by now.

You probably won't hit the limits of SATA II. This is good.