Nostalgia bout my old amd phenom x4 9850 BE!!!

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Here is the story ..the 9850 has been a very good chip for me for the past years. Even if it is on this horrible HP desktop computer system that i have been upgrading untill recently. I have submitted an order for a system on a 2500k chip and my old hp computer is tarting to crumble under the new games and random frezes I think the HD is starting to get old and has errors on sectors. I dont want to decommission this chip yet. But What can I do with it ? I wand to save the chip, dvd drive and old gt440 gpu. like a system makeover. The problem is that i cant find any NEW mobo that will host this thing ..I would need a micro mobo for just the gpu, sound card, prob a board that supports 8 gigs of mem ..currently i have 6 ..cpu sink, cheap but good computer case and a new HD ..can anyone suggest where to get a good board for this old chip? i hope not ebay. Want to give this computer to my wife since her even older laptop is so slow under windows 7 that my smartphone download speeds are faster lol ...not to mention that her toshiba battery is dead dead dead and has to conenct that damm thing to the wall ..all the time .. maybe i get those box cases she will prob like that instead of a tower .going to look at new egg again ..but i think there are no more boards for this chip..

Solution
I had that processor. I loved it. whit stock cooler it goes to 3.0 OC just ran fine. Its AM2+ socket, you should get a good but cheap "hibrid" MOBO amd2+ / am3 out there easy.

And you can use that machine perfectly fine for daily. It run 2007-2011 games just fine whit that 440 (not ultra setting but in high or middle whit a nice fps).

Just be sure to clean all that dust inside when open the case :D because its a little bit hot processor. If im not wrong, its a 125 or 145 TDP, right? My normal Temp was like 55 - 65ºC

einterlan

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I had that processor. I loved it. whit stock cooler it goes to 3.0 OC just ran fine. Its AM2+ socket, you should get a good but cheap "hibrid" MOBO amd2+ / am3 out there easy.

And you can use that machine perfectly fine for daily. It run 2007-2011 games just fine whit that 440 (not ultra setting but in high or middle whit a nice fps).

Just be sure to clean all that dust inside when open the case :D because its a little bit hot processor. If im not wrong, its a 125 or 145 TDP, right? My normal Temp was like 55 - 65ºC

Solution

There are hundreds of boards for a am2+ cpu on newegg.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
yeap. I decided to just sell that pc and go with those nice A series chips from amd for my wife. Thanks for the info and suggestions. It's time to move on. I will miss that computer.