Bad memory slots

knuckleonAMD

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I memtested the motherboard with ram in every config. 2 different dimms 1 at a time, tried in every slot. Every test Failed horrifically. I need to double check to make sure I am right, before i possibly toss a good motherboard. Can the memory slots on a motherboard fail. My client wants this computer running again but a new motherboard, would make the client cringe at the price. (AM2).

Solution
ues it can..if the memory controller or another chip starts going bad on the mb. the only trick you can try is see if bumping the dram voltage up changes the bsod. but i would also run memtest from a boot cd or usb stick overnight. on old pc it may not be the mb or the ram it may also be a sign that the hard drive is going bad. run hd tune and vendor test tools. also make sure there no dust bunnies eating the pc from the inside..check both the gpu and cpu fan make sure there moving fine.
also run hardware monitor make sure the ps voltage outputs are holding within atx spec. ne issue with some older mb is that there could have been a batch of bad caps.

before i rule out bad dimm or mb. google the mb info from the vendor. download the mb vendor ram qal list. check that the ram you have been tested on that mb..same for the mb ram seller web page..shot both the mb and ram vendor an email asking if this ram been tested. I would also make sure the mb bios code was up to date. there can be new code for cpu and ram and usb sticks. with one stick of ram use cpu-z read the ram speed..voltage and timing the mb is using and check under spd info that the mb read the ram chip info and set the ram speed and voltage right. also in the bios check to see if there running in standard mode or performance mode. (both gigbyte and asus have this mode). it can change the cpu to ram timing to something that causes issue. last issue check for dirt or bent pins in the ram slots. last issue that gets rams is bad voltage output from the power supply..(voltage on a led to low or to high. use hardware monitor read the ps voltage. 12. 5. 3.3 legs are holding.

knuckleonAMD

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
The same problem occurs with the original memory, it (supposedly) worked fine for years then, it started crashing. I cleaned out the memory slots and already replaced the psu. Then the bios is just so feature filled (sarcasm). I also tested the ram in another motherboard and it worked fine. Can motherboards just go bad like this.

ues it can..if the memory controller or another chip starts going bad on the mb. the only trick you can try is see if bumping the dram voltage up changes the bsod. but i would also run memtest from a boot cd or usb stick overnight. on old pc it may not be the mb or the ram it may also be a sign that the hard drive is going bad. run hd tune and vendor test tools. also make sure there no dust bunnies eating the pc from the inside..check both the gpu and cpu fan make sure there moving fine.
also run hardware monitor make sure the ps voltage outputs are holding within atx spec. ne issue with some older mb is that there could have been a batch of bad caps.

Solution

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
Took out single Working ram stick form old Pc put in the 2 new ones. System boot loops.

Next I pulled out the ram that was empty before and it booted up normally. So I took the new ram I pulled out and replaced the othe new stick same thin booted up fine.

Tried the 2 new ones and the old one in the slot I thought may be bad each time it boot looped. Tried all in the other slot booted up normally each time.

That's basically everything all out