First build for budget system..Noob inside

I am a total noob with computers, but I am interested in building a computer that can run SW:TOR and Diablo 3 on at least medium/high settings with a great frame rate. I currently play Star Wars with a boot camped MacBook Pro and am getting around 20-35 fps on medium/low so must be higher than that. But also, I am on a budget, but if I am going to build a system I want it to perform exactly how I want. Don't want to go more than 650 on the tower without a monitor. Currently I am looking at this setup:
-Intel i5 2500K
-Asus P8P67(P67 ATX)
-8 Gigs of DDR3
-560Ti or 6950

I am willing to switch to this cheaper system if it will be great for my games:
-i3 2100
-MSI H61M-P21 (H61 mATX)
-8 Gigs of DDR3
-Radeon 6850

What size power supply would I need and what size hard drive? I don't need a huge one, don't plan on downloading a ton of music or movies, just playing a few games. I also need a CD Drive but I guess the specifications on those don't really matter. And then I need a case. For the the case I don't need a million neon lights or anything, just something cheaper that will still keep the system as cool as it needs to be.
I'm sure my questions are pretty dumb, but I don't know of anyone else to ask. Thanks!
15 answers Last reply
More about first build budget system noob inside
  1. I'd stick with the i5 build. Corsair CX 600, Antec HCG 520W should be adequate for that build.

    I'd sugget a Hitachi 500 GB Hard drive, currently $79.99
  2. Thanks for your response! What kind of case do you recommend? Do cases come with the USB outputs and that type of stuff?
  3. Check out this amazing squidoo site that aznshinobi showed me: http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147086871

    Look at the $600 build, it's perfect for you.
  4. kamikaze1 said:
    Check out this amazing squidoo site that aznshinobi showed me: http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module147086871

    Look at the $600 build, it's perfect for you.


    Thanks that is a great site! But will that computer run SW:TOR and Diablo 3 better than my macbook pro?
  5. Absolutely, I played swtor on my macbook pro (on it right now ;)) and it was terrible. This computer can definitely play swtor with medium/high settings.
  6. Okay great! A couple more questions: How big of a difference does a motherboard make for gaming? And whats the difference between a i5-2000k and the i5-2400?
  7. Good questions. Motherboards give you options on usb ports, hdmi, amount of supported ram, sli/crossfire capabilities. Basically a mobo won't have much of an effect for gaming, but you need to get one that will fit your needs. If you want to overclock you should get one that will allow you to do that easily.

    As for the cpu. I don't think they make 2000k, but the difference between the two would be maximum speed. For instance there are i5-2400, i5-2500, i5-2500k, etc. The cpus without the "k" means they cannot be overclocked. The i5-2500k is unlocked so it can be overclocked from 3.3Ghz to upwards of 4.0Ghz if cooled properly.
  8. Thanks for explaining that. Would it be worth the few extra bucks for the i5-2500? From everything I've read that is suppose to be the best CPU chip on the market for what I'd like to do.
  9. No problem :). Honestly, I think it's worth spending the extra $30 or so for the i5-2500k. It will give you a faster processor and the option to overclock if you want to do that in the future.
  10. Will that work with the motherboard or do I need to upgrade that too?
  11. The asrock H61M/U3S3 in the squidoo page would work just fine for the i5-2500k ;) a good way to check would be looking on newegg.com and seeing if it says LGA 1155, that is the right slot for the sandy bridge processors (i3 2100, i5-2400, 2500,2500k, 17 2600 etc) made by intel, which is the newest series of intel processors.

    When choosing a mobo, ensure it is intel compatible if you're going intel. Also when looking at this asrock, please ensure it has the right amount of memory slots that you want and the right ports and uses that you want. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236
  12. kamikaze1 said:
    The asrock H61M/U3S3 in the squidoo page would work just fine for the i5-2500k ;) a good way to check would be looking on newegg.com and seeing if it says LGA 1155, that is the right slot for the sandy bridge processors (i3 2100, i5-2400, 2500,2500k, 17 2600 etc) made by intel, which is the newest series of intel processors.

    When choosing a mobo, ensure it is intel compatible if you're going intel. Also when looking at this asrock, please ensure it has the right amount of memory slots that you want and the right ports and uses that you want. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236


    not quite. the H61M/U3S3 is great for a 2400 or 2600, but not a -K model, as it cannot do any overclocking. If you want a 2500K, there is an ASRock Z68/UBS3 for $89.99 (about $15 more than the H61), that will allow overclocking.
  13. ScrewySqrl said:
    not quite. the H61M/U3S3 is great for a 2400 or 2600, but not a -K model, as it cannot do any overclocking. If you want a 2500K, there is an ASRock Z68/UBS3 for $89.99 (about $15 more than the H61), that will allow overclocking.


    Thanks for clearing that up, I guess I read it wrong on the site.
  14. I don't know much about over clocking, but I guess it can't hurt to have hardware that allows it. If I plan on getting a wireless network card, does that affect what mother board I get?
  15. not especially. Wi-fi cards can be traditional PCI, PCIe x1, or USB...all three are available on either motherboard
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems