Sign in with
Your question

Will stock cooler/heatsink be good enough for me with Ivy Bridge CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2012 5:42:21 PM

I'm building a PC right now. I'm gonna get the Core i7-3770. And if it matters, the graphic card is nVidia GTX 550 Ti. I mainly use the PC for web browsing, watching HD movies, VFX (After Effects) + encoding, and light gaming. I DO NOT plan to overclock anything.

1. Will the stock cooler/heatsink that comes with the i7-3770 be enough to handle these tasks?
2. What temperatures should I expect when idle and on load (video encoding)?
3. If the stock cooler can't handle the full load of video encoding, will the CPU automatically shutdown safely? (I hope it doesn't burn out and die.)

Feel free to ask about other specs if needed.
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2012 5:53:11 PM

Unless your PC is in a hot room your stock cooler will be plenty for a non-overclocked CPU. That's why they include the stock cooler in the first place, no reason to do so if you'd have to go buy a new one anyway!
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2012 5:53:38 PM

Yes, the stock cooler is enough to handle the tasks you list.
You should see temps in the mid 30's when idle, and mid 40's under load.
Yes, the cpu has thermal protection circuitry built in that protects the cpu in case of thermal overload.
Related resources
April 5, 2012 6:22:43 PM

Thanks guys.

How about light gaming (like Guild War 2 or Blade and Soul)?
April 5, 2012 6:24:20 PM

Stock one is fine for everything as long as you dont OC, they wouldnt include it otherwise ;p
April 5, 2012 6:36:23 PM

You should be fine with the one they gave you in stock for now, but it also a good idea to invest in a better heat sink or cooler in case your desktop decide to over heat.
April 5, 2012 6:37:59 PM

Awesome!

And I read something about thermal paste, Intel CPUs come with that right? (Sorry, first time buying a CPU and building a PC.)
April 5, 2012 6:55:40 PM

The retail one comes with thermal paste already on the cooler usually.
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2012 7:13:01 PM

When you get the CPU its all set to go. Pop in the CPU into the mobo and clamp it down (with the mobo's parts) and then push in the CPU cooler. There are thermal paste pads on it when you get it, so be sure you don't put the cooler down on anything before you install it. The best thing to do for the cooler is to not remove it from the packaging until you're ready to push it on.
a c 190 à CPUs
April 5, 2012 7:17:18 PM

Thanks guys. Yes the stock Intel® HSF (heatsink/fan) should be able to meet the normal cooling demands of our 3rd generation Intel Core™ processors. However if you are in a poorly ventalated room, or a hot environment you may find that you want to look for a replacement HSF. I do advise that you put the Intel stock HSF on the board before you try to mount it in the chassis.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
!