Quad Channel Ram and Dual Channel Ram

dreamer9t9

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hello Friends,

My purpose: I want to buy a RAM. (preferred: corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB)
My Occupation: 3D Animation

I have "Asus P8Z68-VPRO" Motherboard and It supports Dual Channel Ram/Memory. (specification of this board on Asus website)

Well, I have 2 questions...

1. Can i use "Quad Channel Ram" (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB) on this Motherboard (Asus P8Z68-VPRO) ??
Because There is TWO types of Ram in the market with the same name (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB). ONE is Quad Channel and 2nd One is Dual Channel Ram. So, I'm bit confused, which one will support on my Motherboard.

2. What is the main difference in "Quad Channel Ram" and "Dual Channel Ram"

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

- Raj

Solution

Yes, when it comes to memory kits the terms quad and dual channel simply indicate how many sticks are in each kit. Nothing changes to the actual sticks that make then quad or dual channel. So you could even buy two dual channel kits (for a total of 4 sticks) and throw them on an LGA 2011 board which is capable of quad channel. Heck you can even run memory sticks in dual channel on a quad channel board, but just populating two like colored slots on the board.

Okay you have a mid end lga 1155 motherboard. They support dual channel ram meaning if you look at your ram slots and number them 1 2 3 4 you will run first ram pair at slot 1 and 3 and the second pair in slots 2 and 4

quad channel memory is meant for lga 2011 or the high end chipset

go for dual channel as they are designed for your chipset

so with dual channel you will run two ram sticks per memory channel to get full cpu performance while in quad you will run four ram sticks per channel to receive the full performance if that makes sense

dreamer9t9

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for the information "alvine"

Well, I understood the difference between Dual channel and Quad Channel.

But let me know one thing that, What if i use Quad Channel Ram on my motherboard (Asus P8Z68-VPRO) ?
I mean, Can use this RAM on my Board or not?
It will cause any problem?

Also, I'm already using a RAM (8GB) in one Slot.

because, Quad channel Ram is easily available on the internet.

CDdude55

Distinguished
There is no general difference in quad channel and dual channel kits besides the fact that quad channel kits comes with an extra two memory sticks, though i don't understand why you would put a quad channel kit for a board that's only dual channel as dual channel kits are generally cheaper and it's better to go with 2x4GB sticks then 4x2GB sticks.

Also if you're already using a single 8GB stick in one slot then why not just get another 8GB stick of the same brand. As if you were to mix brands problems could arise and usually performance is altered to the lowest possible. Just get a solid dual channel kit that's at least 16GB for your animations or grab another 8GB module to pair with your current stick if they're still available.

dreamer9t9

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for your reply!

Sorry but i think, I'm bit unclear with my questions.

When i say "Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB" Quad Channel Ram, It means:
http://www.flipkart.com/corsair-vengeance-ddr3-8-gb-1-x-gb-pc-ram-cmz8gx3m1a1600c10/p/itmd8cfmbufg3dnq?pid=RAMD8CFMX53FYAXY&ref=8a1bdf27-06d8-46b0-ae10-22433ff7f5cc

and for "Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB" Dual Channel Ram:
http://www.homeshop18.com/corsair-vengeance-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3-ram-desktop/computer-peripherals/computer-peripherals/product:30140250/cid:3273/?utm_source=affilliate&utm_medium=OMG&utm_campaign=text

(I'm planning to purchase only 1 Ram 8 GB)

In "Memory" section of above RAMs, there is written Quad/Duo and That is the confusing part for me.
I have Motherboard with Dual Channel. So, Can i purchase Quad Channel Ram for my Board?

I understood the things that what is Quad and Duo. It's actually motherboard's Ram Slots Properties.

I think, now i'm clear with my questions.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Thanks for clarifying, out of those two the sticks the dual channel stick would probably go with the quad channel stick simply because it seems cheaper(i can't read that price format well) they will both work fine. And while you're getting higher timings with the quad channel stick, speed and storage are still the same, so in that regard go with what's cheapest. Ideally if the dual channel stick is cheaper then it's better timing wise. But timings have no real importance a lot of the time in real world applications, i'm not sure if tighter timings would be best in your application as resource allocation varies on what the software needs.

dreamer9t9

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Just For Clarification:
It means, If i buy Quad Channel Ram (1 stick) then it will run perfectly in my motherboard (Asus P8Z68-VPRO) like, any dual channel Ram ??

Price is not an issue. Availability does matter as i'm in urgent need.

Thanks

CDdude55

Distinguished

Yes, when it comes to memory kits the terms quad and dual channel simply indicate how many sticks are in each kit. Nothing changes to the actual sticks that make then quad or dual channel. So you could even buy two dual channel kits (for a total of 4 sticks) and throw them on an LGA 2011 board which is capable of quad channel. Heck you can even run memory sticks in dual channel on a quad channel board, but just populating two like colored slots on the board.

Solution